Jump to content

Spider27

Best Nearfield Speakers for Listening (Not monitoring)

Recommended Posts

I am wondering what would be the best possible near field speakers that would provide great listening pleasures at close distance..

 

There are so many choices of wonderful floor standing and bookshelf speakers but I found that a lot of them are not really designed for near field listening and need quite a bit of space from the wall behind as well as listener himself/herself.

 

For those who mainly listening at near field (1-1.5m from speaker), which speakers would be ideal?

 

Only thing that I could find is Studio monitors that sound dead flat and boring. I guess that it is because it is designed to create accurate sound reproduction but pure listening pleasure, not sure if it is good choice.

 

Both Active and Passive models are fine. 2 channel is preferred but sub can be also added if it makes positive difference.

 

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

 

 

Edited by Spider27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people recommended LS50 Wireless version. Serious contender for best nearfield speaker for listening....  :) 

81O4ySL8RRL._SY587_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw some people here in SNA likes Devialet Phantom Gold in Pair and it has the highest wife's acceptance factor :) Not sure how it compares with LS50W in terms of sound quality and interesting to learn more from anyone who has tried both.. 

 

devialet_gold_phantom_04.jpg?itok=h5-ROa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I only wish I had LS50s for my computer monitors.................I will one day!

(to replace my studio monitors)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And a few people suggested Neumann KH120A. I was told that it has even better sound than LS50 with cheaper price. Not as beautiful as the other two options above but may be good contender?? I personally never had a chance so do not know how good it is but interesting to learn more if anyone tried.

attachment.php?attachmentid=618148

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


various magnepans, martin logan, stax

 

sonus faber, harbeth, spendor, proac

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, michaelw said:

various magnepans, martin logan, stax

 

sonus faber, harbeth, spendor, proac

 

 

Thank you. Any particular models you do suggest?  I thought that maggie and Martins are not really near-field and needs lots of space as well as power to drive properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I'm a sealed box man really. I don't like overcooked bass..............I also was at a demo for Neumann when they first came out.

Can't recall the models at the time though.

No LS50s there to compare............just Mackie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LogicprObe said:

 

I'm a sealed box man really. I don't like overcooked bass..............I also was at a demo for Neumann when they first came out.

Can't recall the models at the time though.

No LS50s there to compare............just Mackie.

 

Heard good thing about Mackie and they are very good desktop monitor... Is this what you are currently using for monitoring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a Harbeth.

This is what Alan Shaw suggested to one person who wanted to try near field listening. Alan is the owner and designer of Harbeth.

But the usual applies, try before you buy. If you can.

ec1f2fd06b1b3fc9599c43252121f45c.jpg7f352b3e1e107f0be6557aca3c298ef1.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kensell21 said:

Try a Harbeth.
This is what Alan Shaw suggested to one person who wanted to try near field listening.
But the usual applies, try before you buy. If you can.
7f352b3e1e107f0be6557aca3c298ef1.jpg

Great to know that Harbeth for nearfield listening. I never met a person using it for nearfield and it is refreshing idea. Wondering how much minimum space does it require at the back... I guess that it is rear ported?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Great to know that Harbeth for nearfield listening. I never met a person using it for nearfield and it is refreshing idea. Wondering how much minimum space does it require at the back... I guess that it is rear ported?

No none are rear ported. Alan does firmly suggest that the height of his speakers are important to get correct. The tweeter needs to be at ear level.

In fact there’s quite a few Harbeth owners that use them for near field listening. Just look at the size of those speakers. I have the identical SHL5Plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kensell21 said:

No none are rear ported. Alan does firmly suggest that the height of his speakers are important to get correct. The tweeter needs to be at ear level.

In fact there’s quite a few Harbeth owners that use them for near field listening. Just look at the size of those speakers. I have the identical SHL5Plus.

 

Thank you very much  for those additional info. Just read about P3ESR model from Harbeth website and P3ESR model is designed for near field and look very interesting. Definitely worthy for auditioning..

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPoanRxkAXHLySLfz-v6F

Edited by Spider27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching intently on peoples suggestions, after a pair of near field (pc) speakers, not sure if OP has something larger in mind though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MasterSwitch likes SVS Ultra more than LS50... Zreview likes it a lot too.. Looks damn sexy...

 

SVS_Ultra_Bookshelf_speaker_review_angle

 

Edited by Spider27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

 

Heard good thing about Mackie and they are very good desktop monitor... Is this what you are currently using for monitoring?

 

I've got a whole range of Behringer stuff...................plus my Yamaha gear..............it can get complicated.

On this computer in the kitchen................I have Hyundai! (crap)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LogicprObe said:

 

I've got a whole range of Behringer stuff...................plus my Yamaha gear..............it can get complicated.

On this computer in the kitchen................I have Hyundai! (crap)

Hyundai is not a bad car... Very reliable.. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Stereophonic in Melbourne looks like having Harbeth, Devialet and SVS Ultra (at least on their website). Might give them a call and check if it is possible to arrange a demo in next week or two...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Hyundai is not a bad car... Very reliable.. :) 

Well............I could argue about that too...............but their computer speakers are LOUD..............but crap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LogicprObe said:

Well............I could argue about that too...............but their computer speakers are LOUD..............but crap.

 

Oh... My bad. I thought that you are referring to Hyundai Car. Did not know they produce computer speaker too..  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spider27 said:

Oh... My bad. I thought that you are referring to Hyundai Car. Did not know they produce computer speaker too..  :) 

 

They make all sorts of stuff.

I was surprised myself many years ago.

 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hyundai-Group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you. Any particular models you do suggest?  I thought that maggie and Martins are not really near-field and needs lots of space as well as power to drive properly. 

 

what are your room dimensions, other equipment ?

maggies and logans do need space away from room boundaries but you can sit very close to them.

particularly the smaller models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Spider27 said:

MasterSwitch likes SVS Ultra more than LS50... Zreview likes it a lot too.. Looks damn sexy...

 

SVS_Ultra_Bookshelf_speaker_review_angle

 

All the SVS stuff is great for its price. At 1700 RRP they're not cheap but they're easily a class above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, michaelw said:

 

what are your room dimensions, other equipment ?

maggies and logans do need space away from room boundaries but you can sit very close to them.

particularly the smaller models.

Tight space. The room is 3m x 3.5m but my desk is quite close to the wall. The current distance from the speaker to the wall is 40cm and speaker to where I am sitting is 80cm apart.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×