Rustee

Apple Lossless / CD Drive audio output

Hi All, 

I play my music from my Mac book pro via itunes. The Mac also has an inbuilt CD drive which I mainly use to rip my CD's, so I was wondering if the audio output from listening to a lossless file in itunes is the same as playing the CD from the internal CD drive?

I use USB to connect to CXA-80 amp.

Cheers in advance :thumb:

Different software does different jobs of ripping audio.

iTunes isn't great.

I would suggest taking a look at dB Poweramp for ripping purposes, it will verify the quality of each rip against an online database of rips.

And if using iTunes as a playback medium, I would look at Audirvana Plus.

You can run it as it's own playback software or integrate it with iTunes to operate in the background.

Edited by thathifiguy

Never found iTunes to be a good player however other members have told me they use bit perfect in conjunction with iTunes quite successfully, you'll probably get lot's of suggestions about other choices however Audirvana is my preferred method and yes it does cost as do most of the better players.

Your question about playing CD's from the drive is something I've been messing about with lately my setup is a bit different though I'm using an LG Blu ray external drive connected to a Mac Mini don't know if it is a better machine than the drive in your Macbook but it is actually outdoing a couple of dedicated CD players I own, I don't use iTunes to play the CD's I actually use VLC nice sound indeed has a graphic EQ that does help in fact and it's free that's what I would suggest you try it won't cost anything and I think you'll find some improvement also probably one of the best video players available.

Cheers @thathifiguy, I will look into those. Although the thought of re-ripping my CD's makes me cringe!

Is dB Poweramp free software?

Edited by Rustee

Thanks @BATMAQN.

6 hours ago, BATMAQN said:

Audirvana is my preferred method and yes it does cost as do most of the better players.

Is it a one off cost or subscription? I guess I can look that up!

6 hours ago, BATMAQN said:

I don't use iTunes to play the CD's I actually use VLC nice sound indeed has a graphic EQ that does help in fact and it's free that's what I would suggest you try it won't cost anything and I think you'll find some improvement also probably one of the best video players available.

I already have VLC which I use for the odd video that won't play on other software. I will give it a go playing a CD straight from drive.

So with Audirvana, can I transfer my lossless file from itunes, or should/ need to re-rip them?

Cheers [mention=147252]thathifiguy[/mention], I will look into those. Although the thought of re-ripping my CD's makes me cringe!

Is dB Poweramp free software?

From memory it was around $40US

It is purely for the ripping side.

Audirvana is a one off expense (unless you choose to upgrade to a newer version which can be bought at a reduced cost once you have a licence) that is the playback software.

It can be used standalone, or can run in the background while using iTunes if you’re more comfortable using the iTunes interface.

Sound would still be determined by Audirvana though.

The 'bits' should be the same, but the delivery of the bits to the DAC and what the DAC does with the bits could easily be different. Listen and find out if you can tell the difference and which you prefer.

As above--there are a wide variety of additions that can improve the output--depending on what you want to spend. These range from players for the Mac, re-clockers, separate DACs, ...