Amazon vinyl sales - any good?

Just now, JSmith said:

Not yet... but I feel it coming once they start to dig their heels in.

JSmith :ninja:

Not sure why Amazon would want to do this geo restriction? It still money for them no matter where you buy.

2 hours ago, Elnido said:

A friend reckons retailers refer to Australia as treasure island because they can charge what they like.

Your friend is a moron who knows nothing about retail in this country, or any other from the sounds of it.

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

There is to my mind a falsely held belief that Australia is the land of milk and honey, a retail paradise of bottomless wallets and infinite purses.

Really?

Who believes that?

Certainly nobody I know or have read about

Hi Barnz,

I see you live in Melbourne, forget Amazon, go to Dutch Vinyl in Abbotsford,

used records in very good condition from $5, just got Neil Young After the Gold Rush $35.

You can build a collection cheaply.

Cheers Lee

• Like 1

Hi Barnz,
I see you live in Melbourne, forget Amazon, go to Dutch Vinyl in Abbotsford,
used records in very good condition from $5, just got Neil Young After the Gold Rush $35.
You can build a collection cheaply.

Cheers Lee

Thanks for the awesome tip on where to buy Lee - I’ll definitely check it out.

On 05/12/2017 at 6:42 AM, barnz2005 said:

the price of new vinyl seems pretty high, especially when starting out and wanting to build up a collection relatively quickly. 

I think the concept of building a vinyl collection relatively 'quickly' is perhaps at odds with the medium.

• Like 1

I think the concept of building a vinyl collection relatively 'quickly' is perhaps at odds with the medium.

You have a point there.

I guess after spending countless hours researching and auditioning the purchase of hifi components in order to build a platform from which to enjoy the virtues of vinyl (not forgetting all the penny saving going on to afford it), one does become eager to build up music options.

What is it with people and needing to have everything right now. When I was a youngster we might have bought one 45 a week if we were lucky. As I got a bit older and started earning my own money, an LP every week or three. My advice is take your time and buy what you love. Build a collection that means something not just something that fills your Kallax. Besides. LPs are cheaper now than they were when I started buying them. Relatively speaking.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Elnido said:

I"am sure I read that somehow if you live in Australia you will be locked out of their international sites.Can anyone confirm this.I recall a debate about this some people saying its not legal to do this.

FWIW its worth I purchased several beatles mono records from amazon America and great prices compared to here.The mono beatles vinyl require a separate thread but sound quality is sensational.A friend reckons retailers refer to Australia as treasure island because they can charge what they like.

where did you supposedly read this from? 

I have been buying from most of the global Amazon sites since 2009.  Never had one issue buying from amazon germany, France, Italy, Germany, Canada, USA or UK  - nor have I read anywhere that any other global consumer has had issues in buying from amazon outside of their own country.

• Like 1