Amazon vinyl sales - any good?

Interested to hear if people will be using amazon to buy vinyl?

I’m building my first “real” hi fi set up and tempted to go turntable instead of CD, however the price of new vinyl seems pretty high, especially when starting out and wanting to build up a collection relatively quickly. Amazon seems to be well priced . . . Or am I missing something?

Prices seem to vary - but I didnt see anything that I would describe as a bargain - and that includes audio gear too (selection very limited at this stage). But what surprised me was that its not all free shipping and in some cases was looking to take longer to arrive than Amazon.com....I suspect there is a quantity of stuff being sold by local retailers through Amazon who themselves are ordering from overseas.

Most of it is free delivery - on middle of the road streaming gear, headphones and small home theatre/computer audio stuff - but there are a number of items with shipping cost in there - and pretty expensive to boot...I suppose I shouldnt be surprised that the hype outpaces the substance. I have heard time and time again how deep their pockets are, and that this intial campaign would rock the market..

Not yet anyway..

• Like 2

Free delivery over $49 spend it seems.  Prices i noted were cheaper than JB however not cheaper than JB when they have 20% off.  So yeah, sales will still be cheaper.  I haven't compared to any other sites yet.  JB was just easy to compare against in my morning rush.

Edited by Piko

Guest thathifiguy

Yeah everything I have perused thus far has more or less been at or near full RRP.

Get the feeling this might rollout similarly to Netflix AU. Crap at first, but decent in time.

Free delivery over $49 spend it seems.  Prices i noted were cheaper than JB however not cheaper than JB when they have 20% off.  So yeah, sales will still be cheaper.  I haven't compared to any other sites yet.  JB was just easy to compare against in my morning rush.

Thanks Piko, and JB have such a day tomorrow. The Amazon AU site may improve with time in relation to pricing - we’ll see.

Most of what I want is about double the price I can get it for from their US and UK sites, even with the postage factored in. About what I expected. Aussies always get gouged.

I think they call it the “Aussie Tax” . . . All the big players seem to add it.

Yes, the prices seem quite high compared to other Amazon sites -US, UK, DE, CA, FR, IT, JP

They won't even ship to NZ!

Not sure how they expect the AU site to be a success if it’s priced higher than the international sites - go figure.

There is of course the potential strategy of keeping prices high until they iron out kinks in their supply chain - last thing you want on week 1 is 10,000 orders that you can’t fill.

7 minutes ago, barnz2005 said:

I think they call it the “Aussie Tax” . . . All the big players seem to add it.

It is cheaper in American because they pay their workers $4 per hour. I am happy to pay a bit more and know that the person who packed my goods was receiving a living wage and I hope they keep a very bright spotlight on any underpayment issues with this mob. I thinkthe benefits may be that we won't be buying in USD, which adds 20- 25% to the bill

Edited by rantan
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, rantan said:

It is cheaper in American because they pay their workers $4 per hour. I am happy to pay a bit more and know that the person who packed my goods was receiving a living wage and I hope they keep a very bright spotlight on any underpayment issues with this mob. I thinkthe benefits may be that we won't be buying in USD, which adds 20- 25% to the bill

I agree, so what's the point of Amazon being based here, to the local market and workforce if its going to flop so early on?

My guess is that this is all about reflecting on the tax, IR and competitive limitations in Australia on businesses of this size as compared to the US , and if their model is limited by different minimum wage and IR laws,  their presence here will put pressure on those very things - given that the organisation is the size of a small country with political leverage to boot.

There was comment somewhere about how , once local retailers are hooked in to Amazon's model they will be vulnerable to Amazons manipulation of pricing - which means this starting position probably looks more attractive to the local sellers  - except that once it becomes apparent that Amazon.au is not so competitive or turning over as much as its US counterpart locally - the **** will hit the fan.

Amazon are famously exploitative of their warehouse staff, but the reality is that they are looking to do away with as much human workforce as possible, already relying heavily on robotics and automated systems. They arent here to create jobs - so why are they here?

I"am sure I read that somehow if you live in Australia you will be locked out of their international sites.Can anyone confirm this.I recall a debate about this some people saying its not legal to do this.

FWIW its worth I purchased several beatles mono records from amazon America and great prices compared to here.The mono beatles vinyl require a separate thread but sound quality is sensational.A friend reckons retailers refer to Australia as treasure island because they can charge what they like.