Is this sony a good uhd 4k player?

Im choosing this one specifically because of streaming services and 3d.

Is there a better player for the same money?

Looked at oppo (no streaming services and pricey)

Panasonic (pretty even with the sony)

Anything else i should be looking at?

region freeing eiher isnt so easy for dvd/blu-ray which lets face it is still going to be most diet. I think sony has some wider disc format capability. the pana will not support DV, not sure on the sony - i suspect not either if looking at future disc support.

streaming can be done otherways, am also not sure all disc players are best option for those. very reliant on streaming companies apps.

I don’t know, will the Yamaha stream what want ? Then yes use it, why not :)

1 hour ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Yep, no dv support which seems silly???

So would i be best using the avr (yamaha) for streaming services opposed to the player?

If it gets an upgrade at all HTR  it will be HDR10+ as they are with Samsung in an alliance . The other thing is the pana interpolates/upscales UHD and SDR 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 [12bit] The Sony may leave it at 10bit ? This upscaling is perfect for say a projector with 12 bit throughput like a jvc 7000 but mention it as it does a great job with 2k bds too :)

UB900 also includes 4K high-precision chroma processing which can take the Ultra HD Blu-ray encoded at 4:2:0 and use a 4K high-precision multi-tap filter to process the signal to 4:4:4. The player also uses edge-adaptive chroma processing to prevent overshooting during the processing and thus produce sharper edges with colours.

Are you looking for audio streaming [Spotify etc] or video streaming [Netflix amazon et al ] ? The avr will only do audio :winky:

Where the Panasonic did display an edge over the Samsung was in 1080p Blu-ray playback. When I watched a disc of The Wailing, a Korean film that could be best described as a comic-horror detective story, the beautifully shot scenes of the rural countryside were rendered in crisp 4K resolution by the Panasonic, with fine gradations of color and shadow detail clearly coming across. Played on the Samsung, the same disc looked notably less crisp and three-dimensional.

Edited by cwt

Looking to stream video mostly.....

Samsung is out of the running.

So the pana 900 is the way to go over the sony 800?

From what i understand, my projector (epson tw9300) wont do 4:4:4 so not important to me?

Still leaning towards the sony 800 but wonder if im missing out on anything.

Main wants are;

Play audio

Play video

Streaming video services (mainly netfix) would like amazon and stan. chrome cast maybe?

4k and upscaling

HDR and upscaling

3D playback

Wifi

Oh and screen mirroring from my andriod phones and tablets.

Would like dolby vision but im not sure if id really be missing out on anything?

Is the sony still the winning contender? :)

18 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Looking to stream video mostly.....

Samsung is out of the running.

So the pana 900 is the way to go over the sony 800?

From what i understand, my projector (epson tw9300) wont do 4:4:4 so not important to me?S

Would like dolby vision but im not sure if id really be missing out on anything?

Is the sony still the winning contender? :)

The pana has the same HCX pro colour processor as the pana 780 led tv but if playback of 2k bluray isn't a priority and streaming is the sony is a contender ; sacd playback is something the pana doesn't do though .This review doesn't seem to give much in the way of streaming besides Netflix though ;

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/sony-ubp-x800-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-review-469895

Don't expect dolby vision from this player ; sony tvs will be given the firmware eventually [ they have had people on the hook for this since an announcement much earlier]. Its a matter of chipset upgradeability..Sony don't have a track record of upgrades like more upmarket machines ,

Try to look at this in conjunction with the tv you want ; if you want DV with streaming services a 4k apple tv would match well with a player that doesn't have the best streaming services  . Yes dolby vision does help streaming services but its also a closed ecosystem in that its not a fixed standard like HDR10 ; its optional.. I would read this and decide if its worth it for you :)

http://4k.com/news/the-first-4k-uhd-blu-ray-discs-with-dolby-vision-hdr-arrive-on-sale-and-theyre-gorgeous-20034/

Edited by cwt

23 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Play audio

Play video

Streaming video services (mainly netfix) would like amazon and stan. chrome cast maybe?

4k and upscaling

HDR and upscaling

3D playback

Wifi

Oh and screen mirroring from my andriod phones and tablets.

I have this Sony ubp-800 player.  Don't remember seeing anything about 3D playback/amazon/stan, since i never use these.  There is a USB slot in front of machine, so I presume it will do chromecast?

I really like this player,  discounted price is very cheap compared to an Oppo, as I mainly bought it for the SACD surround playback capability, and I also like the form factor.