Sony 65 X9000E ARC issue

Well, I finally received my 65" X9000E and have to say, so far it has a pretty good picture out of the box, up-scaling is as good as I have seen and it is a good looking unit.

My only issue at the moment is a very annoying "feature"; I have the sound set to external audio via HDMI ARC so that the TV sound can be handled by the Denon X4100, unfortunately when it is shut down and re-started, it reverts to TV speakers.

I have the Denon set to use ARC as the audio input.

I have set the TV to prioritise external audio system so, it starts at the TV speakers, changes on the screen briefly to audio system then back to TV speakers, then I change it back manually.

I followed Sony's online instructions on this issue but no joy.

Eventually I gave up on the ARC (although still connected to the ARC HDMI input) and connected to optical Toslink, guess what, same problem.

Occasionally if I shut down just the TV and switch it back on straight away, it works okay; note: I don't see this as a solution.

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

46 minutes ago, JSmith said:

HDMI 3, right?

HDMI 3, that is correct.

Chatting to Sony Support may be my next step but a quick Google on the topic indicates that this is a common issue.

Given that I have gone through almost every setting in the TV and the receiver, I may reset everything and start again.

I want it to remember the last settings and completely ignore the TV speakers like my other TVs always have unfortunately it seems to be a new "feature".

12 minutes ago, Alien said:

My solution on an older model Sony is to have the amp off when I start the TV then turn on the amp once the TV has started & finished initialising itself.

Hmm, sounds like a handshake issue... having HDMI-CEC enabled could possibly help with that.

JSmith :ninja:

Guest thathifiguy

I would avoid ARC like the plague.

In my experience over many years in the industry, it has been flakey at best with HDMI handhshaking being the primary issue.

A trusty optical cable will sort you out!

1 hour ago, Alien said:

have the amp off when I start the TV then turn on the amp once the TV has started

Thanks, I tried it this way and had random results, mostly didn't work. I seem to have more luck if the amp is running when the TV is turned on.

I tried setting the Harmony remote in that order however, it will not allow settings on the receiver prior to the TV starting, possibly where the problem lies now that i think of it.

Current Harmony order:

Receiver on,

TV on,

TV set to digital input

Receiver set to TV

It may be when the receiver sets to TV that the TV loses the signal for a moment and selects the TV speakers?

1 hour ago, JSmith said:

having HDMI-CEC enabled could possibly help

I have tried this but will check to see if all of the other settings are okay at the same time; I have tried so many combinations that I think that I need to reset and start again.

1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

A trusty optical cable will sort you out

This was my final attempt that didn't work but I haven't tried it with the HDMI cable in a different input (2 perhaps).

I can always make it work by going through the settings each time to switch off the TV speakers but that seems a little backward.

Guest thathifiguy
6 minutes ago, Mikeyday said:

Thanks, I tried it this way and had random results, mostly didn't work. I seem to have more luck if the amp is running when the TV is turned on.

I tried setting the Harmony remote in that order however, it will not allow settings on the receiver prior to the TV starting, possibly where the problem lies now that i think of it.

Current Harmony order:

Receiver on,

TV on,

TV set to digital input

Receiver set to TV

This might be your issue. Using ARC means utilising the HDMI protocol of your devices, in this case Bravia Sync.

In theory, if it works properly, you could switch on your source, which in turn would activate your AVR, TV and set them to the correct inputs.

If using a harmony, I suggest switching off all HDMI handshaking, set the audio output on TV to digital optical as it won't play nice otherwise.

You may have to allocate the digital optical input on your AV Receiver too.

10 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

If using a harmony, I suggest switching off all HDMI handshaking, set the audio output on TV to digital optical as it won't play nice otherwise.

I will try this tonight; The last setting that I had did have the input on the AVR as optical but still had the HDMI-CEC enabled.

Guest thathifiguy
2 minutes ago, Mikeyday said:

I will try this tonight; The last setting that I had did have the input on the AVR as optical but still had the HDMI-CEC enabled.

Yeah, it's a really temperamental thing that IMO should have been taken off devices.

There was a period I used it when I was running Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR and Sony Bluray player and for the most part it worked ok, but when it mucked up, everything had to be disconnected from mains for 30 seconds and reconnected to reset the handshaking.

Just not worth the price of an optical cable!

Edited by thathifiguy

Well, I reset everything that I could, set it back up to HDMI ARC on the AVR and TV, made sure that everything was setup as per Sony Support website, cleared the external input services data and cache, unplugged all equipment, left it a while, turned on and all worked well....... the first couple times.

I tested using and not using the Harmony remote; if I just use the TV remote to turn everything on, no problem.

If I use the Harmony remote, no good.

Either the Harmony goes into the drawer or, I go for @thathifiguy's suggestion and shut down all HDMI ARC control and go back to the Toslink.

Guest thathifiguy
Well, I reset everything that I could, set it back up to HDMI ARC on the AVR and TV, made sure that everything was setup as per Sony Support website, cleared the external input services data and cache, unplugged all equipment, left it a while, turned on and all worked well....... the first couple times.
I tested using and not using the Harmony remote; if I just use the TV remote to turn everything on, no problem.
If I use the Harmony remote, no good.
Either the Harmony goes into the drawer or, I go for [mention=147252]thathifiguy[/mention]'s suggestion and shut down all HDMI ARC control and go back to the Toslink.

Pretty much exactly what I went through about 4 years back. If you want the Harmony, shelf the ARC.

The only way I could get my setup to work reliably was turn off CEC. With CEC on I may as well have used voodoo to try to control things. My Marantz has a specific option for TV audio.

What works for me is hdmi 2 out of the Sony tv. Turn on the tv & let it start up fully on tv speakers then turn on the amp. Anything else sometimes fails one way or another.