In need of a FM antenna for the Yamaha

If you have a wall socket for the T.V antenna nearby just use that.You can either swap the wall plate for one with T.V. and F.M. sockets or buy an el-cheapo y-type splitter from Tandy.I find the splitter indroduces losses in the signal though.If you have good T.V. recepyion you will do well with F.M.

Whether you can use an existing antenna for FM is entirely dependent on the type . For example I recently fitted a new antenna purely to connect a Set Top Box and it clearly stated in the spec sheet that is was not suitable for FM frequencies!

Edited by holdencaulfield2007
Grammar Correction

The little T shaped wire antenna are really only good for very strong stations.You could use one of those $40 indoor antenna and get a slightly better result but only marginally better.

I use the one on the roof that does the T.V. and have a whole passel of stations to choose from.I have the wall plate with the two outlets,I believe there is a filter of some sort behind the plate....some pcb in there anyway.I have no problems with T.V. or F.M. reception at all.In fact T.V. (digital) reception shows as 96-98% on all channels.A separate antenna seems an unneeded expense and a heap of hassle running cable if you want it hidden decently.

You can actually just run coax around in the ceiling cavity,connect it to the radio and get a reasonable result with the cable acting as the antenna.Not great results.....just reasonable.

Does anyone if you can still get them and where you can get them.

Thank you.

Do you mean you don't have any on the Yam or you want to upgrade? Just a peace if single sided speaker wire will get you out of trouble in certain circumstances

Whether you can use an existing antenna for FM is entirely dependent on the type . For example I recently fitted a new antenna purely to connect a Set Top Box and it clearly stated in the spec sheet that is was not suitable for FM frequencies!

Modern compact antennas often aren't designed for the lower frequencies used for FM and are less sensitive. Older full size antennas are.

That said I reckon even a modern digital antenna would probably work okay for FM. Plug it in and see!

Modern compact antennas often aren't designed for the lower frequencies used for FM and are less sensitive. Older full size antennas are.

That said I reckon even a modern digital antenna would probably work okay for FM. Plug it in and see!

FTA Digital TV frequencies start at 177.5MHz. FM broadcasting is 88 - 108MHz so a typical antenna designed exclusively for FTA digital TV will most likely have significantly reduced gain depending on the design. If the OP is in a reasonable signal strength area (Melbourne???) a relatively small external antenna should work well. The Hills Y3/FM has only 3 elements and has a gain of 5dB with a F/B ratio of 15dB.

The good news is if and when the OP changes to DAB+ radio, a standard external digital FTA antenna will work just fine.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Alan Rutlidge
a d on the the end of an spells and

I have a dedicated FM antenna. It is similar to the old VHF antennas, but a bit simpler.

Many TV antennas today are UHF based and although they can pick up FM, it's incidental to what they do. Not a good option compared with a dedicated antenna.

You may not get good FM by simply plugging into the wall (ie existing socket) - some TV antennas have a TV/FM splitter before it enters the building so you may not get much FM signal at all.

Your Yamaha should have a 75ohm co-ax input for the FM. Just try running a co-ax cable into the TV wall socket and see if it helps. Try it as the only cable first. If it does , you should consider in a signal booster so you can run multiple units of the same signal source and get a better / stronger signal than you previously had.

There is SO much more experience on show in all the other replies.....but, for what it's worth....I needed an FM antenna for my yam receiver and after stuffing around with bits of wire and co-ax and stuff....got one of the old T shaped antennas from Jaycar. It does get interference until you find a sweet spot (and I'm inner-city where signals should be pretty good) - but it was cheap as chips. Perhaps worth a try before you start shelling out for the higher end stuff.....