Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
zero1

SME headshell differences

Recommended Posts

I have what I think is an SME3009 non improved with this headshell on it. Every pic I see online the SME headshell is perforated in some form & I cant seem to find anything on this one. Anyone have any info? Is it better/worse or does it matter at all?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by zero1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early 60's, before they lowered the weight by perforating the headshell. 

 

Depends on what effective mass works best with your cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Edited by zero1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Early 60's, before they lowered the weight by perforating the headshell. 

 

Depends on what effective mass works best with your cart.

Thanks very much Citroen, have yet to fit a cart but have an OMB10 kicking around so will try & work out if that'll work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


It'll work.:thumb: That SME headshell looks a bit like the Grace HS-4 in it's shape but with no finger lift (or curved sides:P): 5a215001c64a6_GraceHS-4headshell.JPG.cca14a3388722631a54942e91f534b5b.JPGI did say a bit......:)

Edited by stevoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that an Orpheus Silex Table?  Wonderful old turntables!   Interesting to use a tonearm mounted on the plinth with a turntable with suspended subchassis.   Originally a tonearm was mounted on a metal bracket from the subchassis of the Orpheus.  Of course, the suspension is a lot stiffer than on those spring suspended tables so it may work OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2017 at 11:52 PM, stevoz said:

It'll work.:thumb: That SME headshell looks a bit like the Grace HS-4 in it's shape but with no finger lift (or curved sides:P): I did say a bit......:)

Cool thanks, I can see the resemblance :) 

On 12/2/2017 at 11:53 AM, aussievintage said:

Is that an Orpheus Silex Table?  Wonderful old turntables!   Interesting to use a tonearm mounted on the plinth with a turntable with suspended subchassis.   Originally a tonearm was mounted on a metal bracket from the subchassis of the Orpheus.  Of course, the suspension is a lot stiffer than on those spring suspended tables so it may work OK.

It is indeed- some good eyes you have there, has a certain retro vibe to it with the hammertone finish. Turntables are mostly a foreign language to me so was trying to educate myself on the various bits of this one before deciding to keep it & the arm or not. The rubber suspension bits need replacing which appears to be the standard for any Silex of this age. This did come with a mystery box of bits & bracket/s so this may have originally been attached to the subchassis as you mention.

Edited by zero1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like it has no Overhang or Alignment adjustment. Must be made for a specific cartridge or for Shure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

It looks like it has no Overhang or Alignment adjustment. Must be made for a specific cartridge or for Shure.

Interesting, there's an M55E currently on there, but from what I can read online that's a much newer cart than the arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its an SME, so made for SME arms which have a sliding base to cater for overhang.

Edited by Citroen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Its an SME, so made for SME arms which have a sliding base to cater for overhang.

 

Yes that's correct, if you look in the picture you can see the adjustment slot in the base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

 

Yes that's correct, if you look in the picture you can see the adjustment slot in the base.

Yes, fair enough, you can actually adjust alignment from there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


44 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Yes, fair enough, you can actually adjust alignment from there as well.

@aussievintage Actually, no you can't adjust alignment. or am I having a "Thick" period.

Edited by Wimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can alter the pivot to spindle distance of the arm, and that usually will bring you to a point where the cart will align correctly on a two-point protractor.  There is a lot more adjustment in that base slot than in most hardshell slots, and so those cases where it would have been necessary to twist the cart in the headshell to achieve alignment probably rarely occur.

 

Of course, putting a slotted headshell on an SME arm gives you even more adjustment.  I have never failed to get my non-slotted SME original headshell and various carts to align, although I came close on my SL-150 Technics where they chose to set the SME base adjustment straight across the plinth instead of radially out from the spindle, and so adjustment was a bit limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here,s my folks’ unit, which I plan to use!  Likely total 100hrs, and they got it new!

565D734D-4303-4B0E-9EEE-C40802458E0F.jpeg

02176E29-BE9C-4239-8BC8-A70A597B8AF3.jpeg

28CC014E-A7E3-4605-B1DB-15FEDF1B0897.jpeg

3FDAEB09-0FC6-4AD5-BFC8-C99BD60B2207.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a beautiful old piece of engineering!   I have both an Orpheus table, and a B&O tonearm like that, and hadn't thought of mating them together.   To have a console unit with the level of quality, and that includes the Pioneer stereo receiver, is indeed fortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Yeah I know! I’ve also found someone to restore the unit, which has all its original tubes.  The setup also has an amazing set of old Warfdale omnidirectional speakers.  It all sounds pretty amazing last I recall it running.... 

 

 

267D2C73-DCB5-4D3C-BEC5-6CD1D3A3564A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like that Pioneer in gold :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 12:57 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Yeah I know! I’ve also found someone to restore the unit, which has all its original tubes.  The setup also has an amazing set of old Warfdale omnidirectional speakers.  It all sounds pretty amazing last I recall it running.... 

 

 

267D2C73-DCB5-4D3C-BEC5-6CD1D3A3564A.jpeg

My father-in-law has those Warfdales, and they are still going in his garage.  I think he bought them with his Silex, which he no longer has.  Your parents Silex looks nice.  The rubbers underneath often perish and need replacing.  The rocketeer headshell on the AB arm is very cool.  Unfortunately they have a non-standard fitting, and the bakelite becomes loose, hopefully this unit is still OK.  I would suggest getting rid of the dustbug (take care removing the adhesive post so the paint is not damaged). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 12:52 PM, aussievintage said:

What a beautiful old piece of engineering!   I have both an Orpheus table, and a B&O tonearm like that, and hadn't thought of mating them together....

The arm is an "All Balance" (Dutch, I think) and they were commonly sold with the Silex, and Labcraft/B&O turntables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 11:53 AM, aussievintage said:

Is that an Orpheus Silex Table?  Wonderful old turntables!   Interesting to use a tonearm mounted on the plinth with a turntable with suspended subchassis.   Originally a tonearm was mounted on a metal bracket from the subchassis of the Orpheus.  Of course, the suspension is a lot stiffer than on those spring suspended tables so it may work OK.

 

On 12/2/2017 at 1:46 PM, zero1 said:

This [the Silex] did come with a mystery box of bits & bracket/s so this may have originally been attached to the subchassis as you mention.

The tonearm bracket was often called the "mushroom".  Don't discard your mystery box of bits & bracket/s, as the mushrooms were often discarded and are becoming hard to find. There are some threads here with pics showing the mounting.

 

Edited by audiofeline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...