SPR08Y

SPR08Y's new room

Hi all, a few of you have visited and been most kind re the tunes at our place, with any semblance of a 'system' being in the 'squeezy' living room. Thankfully after many delays, and frustrating increase in build costs - we are in Sydney in 2017!!! the long planned renovation is under way! the back end of the house has literally been torn off! The room on the left (with wheelbarrow and ladders in it!) is the first third of the new listening room (my name) and sitting/reading room (my bride's name). Should be roughly 4m wide and about 5.5/6m long! Bookshelves and Piano on the back wall with a large void in the ceiling going up roughly 5m to a skylight also at the back of the room. Ceiling in the room will be a tad shy of 3m before the 'void' section. Hopefully it will turn out ok! Lots of paintings and art planned for the walls, polished concrete floor with a large rug! Will keep you posted. Hopefully of interest to some of you! 

Cheers , Michael  5a206428043fb_BackofHouse01122017.thumb.jpg.8e85cc00e08e5e20b6e06b878656b341.jpg

Kind of bu**ered the rather pleasant semi-rural aspect I somewhat fondly recall from a pleasant afternoon or two.

Onward and upward though, good to see it all finally underway.

Thanks for the encouragement @ophool and @scuzzii! Should be pretty good me thinks, would love it to be large enough for some CH2s John, not sure it will be with the rear ports.......

I look forward to hosting and imbibing (and gathering advice) next year!

Sponsor

Can't wait to se how it turns out M! 

Thanks Cam @Krispy Audio. Maybe a pair of Oswalds Mill Minis might fit in well!!!!!!

I dream......................

Edited by SPR08Y

Have I gone over the top putting sound insulation below the slab! 

A33EC7C5-1F59-4EFD-948F-9C40906DAD35.thumb.jpeg.8f3970d81a6fe363f35ef69b488c076f.jpeg

I laugh! 

Sponsor

Plenty of space there to shape a channel for a floor-mounted horn subwoofer :)

14 hours ago, SPR08Y said:

Have I gone over the top putting sound insulation below the slab! 

A33EC7C5-1F59-4EFD-948F-9C40906DAD35.thumb.jpeg.8f3970d81a6fe363f35ef69b488c076f.jpeg

I laugh! 

Nah - the CH2s will sound excellent with that foundation     :)

7C07ABB1-F04D-47DA-BBE7-872705A01B04.thumb.jpeg.1146ebad97c5aba4684629d89b4eedd9.jpeg

Slab = I have a floor! Slow progress, but progress nonetheless! 

Posted (edited)

F535DF26-A15E-4D6D-92E6-253117F99846.thumb.jpeg.ee9cff9b3dff67304fed5ec60e9bd454.jpeg

I have walls! Yay! 

Edited by SPR08Y

I don't think you took that shot today (or yesterday as it is now).

Guessing from the amount of sunlight on the floor that it is still a bit previous for setting up the gear to listen to The Wall rather than admire them.

Neville minds, won't be long now.

Ha, I laugh Tony @ophool, would be a tad darker at 2am! 

Very exciting, am hoping for some similar reno's at my place in the coming years, am envious and enjoying the thread, thanks for sharing so far.

Guest Sime

@Darren69 now that’s a get together I’d travel the distance to attend :)

Thanks lads! My family is excited, to say our renovation has been a tad 'constipated' would be an understatement!

58 minutes ago, SPR08Y said:

Thanks lads! My family is excited, to say our renovation has been a tad 'constipated' would be an understatement!

Oh my.

Lets hope things 'clear' OK. :D 

Sound insulation in the slab???

its called a waffle slab where I come from.

ive got one in my place and if I had the choice would choose concrete any day over it.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, yamaha_man said:

Sound insulation in the slab???

its called a waffle slab where I come from.

ive got one in my place and if I had the choice would choose concrete any day over it.

Was a 'tongue in cheek' remark!

Slab seems ok, the concreter is a friend and seems to have done a fine job. he separated the pods which is apparently best, sometimes a short cut, and concrete saving measure, sees 4 of them joined together.

Edited by SPR08Y

Some progress, and escalating expenses........

4003773C-CCA8-433E-9120-9753316928A7.thumb.jpeg.55a9b9daa56d465086db0bf41f7fb47f.jpeg

A peak in through the door! 

E8546AB1-9051-4B0B-A67B-8992476DCE87.thumb.jpeg.4070f9457b0550fc22505a560c674b9a.jpeg

My wife casting a critical eye over the light shaft at the back of the room! Will have two casement windows off to the right which will be installed soon. They have gyprocked straight over the window openings, no doubt going to chop them out later, getting excited! 

1 hour ago, SPR08Y said:

Some progress, and escalating expenses........

4003773C-CCA8-433E-9120-9753316928A7.thumb.jpeg.55a9b9daa56d465086db0bf41f7fb47f.jpeg

A peak in through the door! 

E8546AB1-9051-4B0B-A67B-8992476DCE87.thumb.jpeg.4070f9457b0550fc22505a560c674b9a.jpeg

My wife casting a critical eye over the light shaft at the back of the room! Will have two casement windows off to the right which will be installed soon. They have gyprocked straight over the window openings, no doubt going to chop them out later, getting excited! 

Is your seating position going to be under the "light shaft"?

Hi Bryan, yes, hopefully will work out. It’s about 5m up to the skylight and the shaft tapers to it on three sides. The rest of the room has a ceiling height of about 2.5m. Cheers, Michael 

33 minutes ago, SPR08Y said:

Hi Bryan, yes, hopefully will work out. It’s about 5m up to the skylight and the shaft tapers to it on three sides. The rest of the room has a ceiling height of about 2.5m. Cheers, Michael 

Lovely visual and should provide a great sense of space but I have experience with that kind of structure / void in a music listening room in the same seating position and it wasn't good for sound unfortunately. Hope it works out differently for you .

Yikes! Oh well, we shall see..... also, there will be a set of pigeon holes, bookshelves and a piano behind the listening position on the ‘back’ wall, then a little passage to a lounge/listening chairs, so the void will be more behind than above. Hopefully that fact there are bookshelves and piano on the back wall should diffuse the sound a bit too? 

Nothing to do with diffusion, you just built a bass resonance box. It's sort of a reverse proscenium arch which is conventionally used in theatres to reinforce bass and voice and project it out into a theatre. The bass note are accentuated because of the relative extra distance allowed to travel and with the design of the void. Easy to check out next time you are in the room with your partner, have her stand at either end of the room with you at the other end and listen to the differences in her voice. People who have hallways leading off the room and seats located on the rear wall same as the hallway often have the same bass issues but most of the time they can just close a door. On the other hand, the piano should sound good for the pianist.