SoundGuy

WITHDRAWN OR RELISTED: FS: Audio Research Ref 3 w/ silver handles

Item: Audio Research Ref 3
Price: $4700
Item Condition: Used, Excellent 
Reason for selling: upgradw
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Bought this used from Audio Fidelity in September this year.  I changed the handles to silver for the Ref 5 look (looks much better and sounds better too! ;-)

Seriously this preamp sounds as good as they said, I'm selling because there's an opportunity to upgrade to Ref 5.

Pictures:

IMG_0942 (1).jpg

IMG_0946 (1).jpg

IMG_0943 (1).jpg

Guest scumbag

where's drool the emoji?

Edited by scumbag

Esoteric c03 pre on the right?

Mate I will not be going to a 5. I had a 5se and sold it went back to a 3. 

Mate I will not be going to a 5. I had a 5se and sold it went back to a 3. 

Seriously? How’s Ref 3 better? I’m reconsidering keeping it now.

The 5se lost a bit of the classic ARC valve preamp sound. Sounded more like a SS preamp to me and many of my audio club mates. 

You are better off finding yourself a good old Mullard BB 6550 (equivalent) power valve (cost you 1-2 hundred). That made the preamp sound much better. 

I used my ref3 and my AVM power amp to demo some speaker in NZ and the dealer thought I had used a different preamp during our coffee break, but all I did was change that power tube. He couldn’t believe it. The extra dynamic and detail. The music all of a sudden just opened up even more. Staging was better and more transparent. 

there are no replacement for the other Russian valves so just stick with them. 

I would be interested in trying a ref2 or a ref1. I heard they sound even better lol. Funny going backwards. 

However i cannot comment of the ref6 as I haven’t heard it. Apparently it’s great, but... nothing is great until you hear it.

I would take that ref5 to your house and do a A B with your ref3 then decide if you want to spend that extra $$$$$ 

just my 2cents as I have been on that road and wasted a lot of hard earned $$$

Esoteric c03 pre on the right?

Close but no cigar ;-)

Can't comment on the Ref 3 v Ref 5 but had a Ref 5SE  and loved it.

Moved to Ref 6 and a step up and wonderful sound.

Can't see me moving to anything else for a long while.

If you can save your pennies, I think that would be the move you should look at. 

You won't regret it.

Edited by woogie59

Guest scumbag

Seriously, I don't see how you could go wrong with any preamp from AR! Glws. 

Edited by scumbag

Price drop to $4500.

A Ref 3 before mine was sold on StereoNET for $5500. :-)

This item has been withdrawn from sale or relisted.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Eugene.cho
      Price: $430 Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Bella Vista State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer Reason for selling: Bought a speaker setup Further information: 

Burson Audio HA-160D DAC Headphone Amplifier and Preamp

A really sweet sounding, transparent, open and powerful sounding DAC, Pre-amp and headphone amplifier.
      In v.good condition. Only use it once a month or so. 

Come with USB cable, power cable and preamp to power amp RCA 

happy to ship at buyers cost.

Specifications

Input impedance: 47 KOhms
      Frequency response: 5Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB)
      Signal to noise ratio: >98dB at 0dB gain
      THD: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms
      Channel separation: >70dB/10kHz
      Output power: 650mW/300 Ohms, 800mW/60 Ohms
      Output impedance: line out 60 Ohms, phones out 5 Ohms
      Power dissipation: <25W, internal, regulated power supply
      Dimensions: 265 mm x 250 mm x 80 mm
      Connectors
      Inputs:
      1 x USB Connection (Support up to 24bit @ 96Khz with 10ppm low jitter
      clock)
      1 x Coaxial RCA (Support up to 24bit @ 192Khz)
      3 x gold plated RCA (line level input)
      Outputs
      2 x headphone jacks 6.35mm
      1 x pre -out with 10Db gain
      Weight: app. 7 kg
      Color: silver anodized aluminium

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Battler009
      Price: $800 Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Sutherland Shire State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash, EFT Reason for selling: Upgrading This pre-amp / processor requires very little introduction. Was Marantz flagship processor and supports the recent codec, such as DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD. Has the ability to map height or width channels however it doesn't support the latest Atmos, Auto & DTS-X object sounds. 

I have the original box and Auddessy mic, remote is working, but isn't perfect, however I have always controlled the unit via Marantz App.

Will serve someone looking for a great experience with surround / 2 channel sound not looking to move into the new object audio.

Note supports both XLR and RCA connectivity which can be mixed based on your configuration. Also offers 2 channels for subwoofer connections and eq.

I do have the original box, my preference is pickup, but will ship if new owner is willing to pay arrange / pay courier and take risk of shipping damage

While I have requested $800 I would also be open to a straight swap for a panasonic DP-UB9000 4K player

Photos:

• By powerinnumbers
      Price: $700 Item Condition: excellent Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Sheidow Park State: South Australia Payment Method: PayPal. EFT . Credits Cards including AMEX Reason for selling: Upgrade Further information:  This pre-pro is in excellent condition with one fault, the unbalanced output for CENTER channel is not working reliably and so I have been using the XLR output instead ( XLR to RCA adapter included ). 
      The remote control is brand new within last 6 months. Perfect for a projection install where a Dolby ATMOS setup is not the immediate plan.
      The unit is high class, I am very happy with it except it only does up to 7.1 and no 4K pass through. 
      Original box is supplied so can be shipped to you anywhere ( free delivery to metropolitan cities ), for country please request quote.
      Pricing is very fair, there is a similar unit on ebay for $500  but it is very rough and missing it's feet and box.

I can also supply ( extra $200 AUD  ) a HDFury AVR Key that I have been using to route lossless audio to the Integra from Apple TV ( or any single HDMI 4K source) , this solves the problem of 4K video and/ or missing out on lossless audio decoding.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By flipswitch
      Hi,
      I’m a bit confused about this now, because I’ve gotten different answers.

I am using the HDMI arc connection ( it’s the only HDMI out) (Denon avr-x1600h) connected to the HDMI arc on my tv ( Panasonic fz950 OLED  (which is full bandwidth)

I have my 4K blu ray player and PS4 Pro connected to my avr HDMI ports.

When I’m playing a 4K movie with Atmos on my blu-ray player, am I getting it down-converted to something lower quality, or full lossless atmos?

I understand that playing something from my tv, eg the Netflix app, I wont be able to get Atmos.

Eg;

When playing a movie with atmos connected to the  HDMI ARC port of my tv, my AVR says Dolby Atmos – True HD.

Now when playing it on the HDMI non arc port, it says the say thing, Dolby Atmos -True HD.

Everything sounds the same.
    • By zakblue
      Item: Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Digital Preamp
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:

Happy to ship Australia wide at buyers expense.