The Hottest 100 won't be held on Australia Day next year

Do you agree with Triple J moving the Hottest 100 Countdown from Australia Day  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Two Flies said:

I only caught the end of it a report about the Bungulung people of northern nsw during the 1930's and how they were excluded from the school system and how they fought to get an education for their children there will be a repeat sooner or later.

I've mentioned before, the Southern Tablelands of NSW (where my mothers family came from and how my Grandmother was part Aboriginal) back in the 30's 40's and 50's. Back then, It didn't matter if you were black or white, if you were poor, you weren't included. 

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I've mentioned before, the Southern Tablelands of NSW (where my mothers family came from and how my Grandmother was part Aboriginal) back in the 30's 40's and 50's. Back then, It didn't matter if you were black or white, if you were poor, you weren't included. 

Yeah right......because there was sooooo many rich indigenous folk around back in the day!:emot-bang:  .....and I put it to you that the people who are responsible, over generations, of increasing the gulf between rich and poor (and in turn, their supporters) are the same people who continue to make light of and ultimately ignore the problems and injustices that Australia's indigenous people still face to this very day, thereby hindering positive and real change......it's only over two hundred years and still counting. Sweeping things under the carpet never worked for anyone......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

I've got a German brother in law. Good bloke. I also support One Nation in some ways as an alternative to Lib/Nats and Labor. Another dividing racist statement mate.

Your choice. I make no apologies for my opinion of them. Hanson's stupidity is not limited to simplistic forms of racism. She actually seems to be retarded. I cant imagine how anyone could take her seriously even if they agreed with her uber right wing xenophobia.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, crisis said:

Your choice. I make no apologies for my opinion of them. Hanson's stupidity is not limited to simplistic forms of racism. She actually seems to be retarded. I cant imagine how anyone could take her seriously even if they agreed with her uber right wing xenophobia.

Out comes the hate. Or has it ever left you! This year I've seen more stupidity then I have ever seen in politics in my life. Your assumption of millions of people is wrong and naive.

4 hours ago, stevoz said:

Yeah right......because there was sooooo many rich indigenous folk around back in the day!:emot-bang:  .....and I put it to you that the people who are responsible, over generations, of increasing the gulf between rich and poor (and in turn, their supporters) are the same people who continue to make light of and ultimately ignore the problems and injustices that Australia's indigenous people still face to this very day, thereby hindering positive and real change......it's only over two hundred years and still counting. Sweeping things under the carpet never worked for anyone......

I'm lost on that one stevoz. What do you suggest Australia does? Would an isolated voting system for Aboriginals only, be an idea. Canvassing could be done within all the communities and the people finally selected could be Representatives for their party in both the lower house and the Senate. People have a lot to say and use the Blame Game as Foundation to their opinion, yet nothing substantial comes of it.

5 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I'm lost on that one stevoz. What do you suggest Australia does? Would an isolated voting system for Aboriginals only, be an idea. Canvassing could be done within all the communities and the people finally selected could be Representatives for their party in both the lower house and the Senate. People have a lot to say and use the Blame Game as Foundation to their opinion, yet nothing substantial comes of it.

No one will give you a substantial answer, it's up there with 'what do you want us to do about people smuggling then?' Australians are great at pointing out what isn't ideal around the place but fall short of coming up with an answer on a way forward that hasn't already been tried by others.

This is still all OK as it shows we are compassionate in our own weird way but it doesn't change anything at the coal face.

One life experience example from the 1980's- Aboriginal-only apprenticeship scheme. One never showed up, the other on pay day only as that's what his family told him to do (electronic pay system so it made no difference) because as we may or may not know, an Aboriginal is supposed to share any gains with all others. As touched on earlier, 'family' also has other meanings compared to our version, it's not as cut and dried as kids might be raised by anyone, traditionally/usually grandparents. Both attempted to go to tech (train trips to Sydney) but either missed the train or drank and ended up somewhere past where they should have got off. So then the company (state government) paid for an elder to accompany them but the elder started getting off at Taree to visit family instead. The initiative folded after repeated phone calls to the local land council looking for some sort of support were never replied to, and when visited in person, the office would be empty. There were allegedly five permanent employees there. If I had've went wayward in my apprenticeship, my apprentice coordinator would have melted my face off, full stop. Very clear. :D

1990's- Kempsey NSW, bridge reconstruction to the west of Kempsey. Every 'payday' maybe a dozen cars would arrive, anything from XR8's to late model Monaro's, apparently only the first few payments were required and then someone else looked after the rest, no one could say who. Loaded down with cartons of VB. The kids would swarm out and swim, ride the crane I was driving (that was interesting, the things would jump off the deck sometimes when an old girder I was pulling 'let go' etc- wouldn't happen now) whilst the adults drank and proceeded to cover the shoreline in brown glass interspersed with the occasional green label. They would then drive back home around 3-4pm in the arvo. One assumes they might have been from Green Hills, a suburb of brand new houses built for Aboriginals that were generally demolished as people moved into them. Paling fences pulled down and burned, fires lit in electric ovens and so on. There is a dry community east of Kempsey and it is beautiful. It's a shame these positive scenarios aren't given more publicity, something to aspire to maybe.

Alcohol is very baaad!!

In the township there was a large aircraft hangar style shed down near the river kitted out to make bus stop shelters, a modular design to be distributed to other councils etc across Australia, apprenticeships, labour possies, ordering, etc the works. Aboriginality only. Closed after 12 months of sitting mostly empty. I think there's a new shopping centre there nowadays.

Early noughties- new bridge out in the foothills of the Dividing Range, had to bore for piling and needed a local land council rep present in case anything was discovered during excavation. A zillion dollars worth of gear and labour all assembled and ready to go, no land council rep. Made some phone calls, thankfully someone answered and apparently they were here onsite somewhere. Noticed a late model Commodore sitting maybe 200m up the road from the bridge approach. Wandered up and here was the elder and a very bored looking youth. Elder was a lovely guy, got a grunt from the youth, same as anyone there, haha. When asked what were they doing, the Elder said he could not come closer as he was scared. I assured him he would be inducted into the jobsite and we had the safety gear there for them both. Apparently it wasn't that. He stated a gin (Aboriginal woman) was taken by the river serpent in years gone by and he wasn't going anywhere near there. The young guy rolled his eyes. I say, OK and call the land council again as these guys were also being charged out by aforementioned land council at around $600 per hour off memory. No answer, no call back. We paid for the service for the next 4 months so we could tick the box whilst the Commodore wasn't seen again after a week.

I could go on but you get the drift. This is just my life experience regarding these initiatives and you'll never see it on the meeja. I've typed it out because a statement of 'there has been opportunity for a while now' might look like it has no foundation. How this sort of thing can be managed, who knows? Certainly not by non Aboriginal people, from what I can see.

However, I do find it hard to take in when people make comment saying things like 'we haven't done enough' and I wonder where their experiences, if any, have been. There have been limitless state and federal funds thrown at these issues over the years along with monumental efforts from people who want to make a difference and it is criminal that this does not seem to be mentioned a great deal.  

At the end of the day, I am not Aboriginal, I have an Aboriginal great grandma apparently but that's about it, I was raised as a cracker, I have very little rhythm and dance with my head, like a white person, haha, I cant really comment from an Aboriginal point of view, no more than I could comment as a woman or a Muslim.

I believe the answer will come have to from within, from Aboriginal academics like the lady that Crisis linked earlier and Marcia Langton, a link of some of here commentary here. Google Marcia Langton for more content.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-26/call-for-end-to-perverted-race-based-welfare/4223694

My pipe dream is that one day we are all Australians, that yes, we do forget and move on. Collective memory does not guarantee avoidance of the same mistakes, in fact it might even cause it. Call it 'move on' if you want but that is the answer, in my head anyhow.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Wow, I wonder why 'nothing substantial comes of it', when there's people denying there's a problem, people who refuse to accept blame on behalf of their ('superior') race and pushing half truths and outright lies on this subject. It's pretty simple really.....people's attitudes must change to change the attitudes of those in power so they get serious about 'positive' change instead of spreading falsities about 'how things used to be' or 'how things are now'. It's all part of the 'fake news' right wing, continually trying to rewrite history to suit their own futures.....and basically not giving a rats about the true plight of our indigenous population. They should try to actually understand the situation instead of the age old right wing solution of 'throwing money at a problem in the hope it goes away', which initially looks good on the surface and makes a good pre-election 'vote winning' brag but actually does nothing concrete to solve anything. As for the 'blame game' as you put it (with which you imply people of a left political leaning are being dishonest in their appraisal of this plight), well that's just another tactic the right uses to muddy the waters and strengthen their weak, selfish and ignorant argument. Who would you blame for the aboriginals plight.....aboriginals? I know who to blame.....and as a member of the guilty invading party, white Australia, I'm happy to accept blame, find out the truth and as such, I'll do my best to help right these wrongs. You cannot honestly claim that there's nothing to atone......that our arrival on these shores was actually beneficial to our indigenous brothers and sisters. It was not....they are generally an 'underclass' in their own country and it's hardly their fault. Even when they achieve great things and are rightly rewarded for their achievements, they are denied and put back in their place by certain sections of the white community (Adam Goodes).......another shameful episode in this countries struggle/refusal to accept and embrace this lands first people. Instead of constantly viewing indigenous gain as 'white loss', those 'certain sections' of the white community should realise that indigenous gain is good for us all, that embracing indigenous culture and 'true equality for all', is not a concession which will leave 'the privileged' in some way weaker and financially 'worse off'. The truth is out there for those who openly and honestly seek it......have you even tried?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stevoz said:

have you even tried?

In those paragraphs, or one paragraph, all you did was substantiate to me, that you have no idea what to do and blame the right or people with an alternative opinion.

Foreign Correspondent highlighted the story of Munjed al Muderis an Iraqi that loves this country and travels back to his old country to perform operations on amputees. He now loves his new country and is pleased to bring his family up here.

41 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Even when they achieve great things and are rightly rewarded for their achievements, they are denied and put back in their place by certain sections of the white community (Adam Goodes)

In Wikipedia, It say that Adam Goodes is of Aboriginal descent. Nothing about his white background. Except that his father left for Queensland when he was four. No mention as to why.

Bringing individuals up, to support your case is weak, just like me talking about Muderis. 

39 minutes ago, JSmith said:

1lav8t.jpg

i-am-literally-d-xenophobic-fear-mongering-unbelievably-bigoted-human-trash-1634156.png

What are Pauline's feelings on the hottest 100 I wonder?:frantics:

JSmith :ninja:

Keep throwing mate, it doesnt stick. Just shows how much you have in common with her. Good to see you have your "Rent a Crowd" supporting you as well.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

My pipe dream is that one day we are all Australians, that yes, we do forget and move on. Collective memory does not guarantee avoidance of the same mistakes, in fact it might even cause it. Call it 'move on' if you want but that is the answer, in my head anyhow.

Great post Daz. Could not agree more:thumb:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Goodes looks more European than indigenous Australian to me, just sayin.

What does a 'European' look like? Icelanders and northern Finns are European, so are Greeks and Romanians, they look very different from each other. 

11 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

What does a 'European' look like? Icelanders and northern Finns are European, so are Greeks and Romanians, they look very different from each other. 

I was referring to the kind of Europeans that first took over this place. :winky:

12 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

His father was British, so I suppose he means the profile.

53 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Goodes looks more European than indigenous Australian to me, just sayin.

That's the sort of totally irrelevant but very destuctive crap I'm on about....oh right, you were just joking.....casually.;)

45 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Keep throwing mate, it doesn't stick.

Ay? :blink:

Just havin' a laugh about Pauline since the topic was raised by another poster. I don't like Pauline, many others don't. Why do you have an issue with my opinion of her? I said nothing about your opinion of her, in fact I replied to Crisis' post and not yours... I agree with him that she has a screw loose and not always the people that listen to her.

It seems you may be struggling with the tirade of posts disagreeing with you recently in this thread. If you choose to express controversial views, then you should be prepared for such retorts.... otherwise it may be best to keep those views to yourself?

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 2