Q-Acoustics Concept 500 Speakers and Moon 240i Amp

Hi Gibbo,

Thank you for the post. It's very interesting, especially what you say about the Moon 240i! 

When you say the Moon 240i sounds similar to your new tube amp (but with less tube flavor), do you mean that only the Moon 240i vs your DAC+preamp+VTA M-125? If so, it's impressive!

Can you tell us what preamp and DAC are you using with the VTA M-125? Is it a SS preamp? Is it a Delta-Sigma DAC?

On the other hand, I've got tempted by the devil again!! :-)   I bought the Line Magnetic LM-508IA (valve integrated amplifier) as I read rave opinions on different forums about it and the LM amps and I bought it directly from a chinese official dealer at less than half the price published in Europe and USA (with upgraded WE replica valves included). I will receive it in two or three of weeks and I will let you know my impressions. People say its a music monster... we'll see! I'm very ansious!  :-)

Regards,

Hi Pedro

That Line Magnetic looks like quite a beast - 48 Watts of pure Class A if I read correctly.  Looking forward to hearing about it when it turns up.

I have been pick and mixing between different components.  Stand alone DAC / Pre-Amp is Marantz HD-DAC1 which (as far as I understand) uses the Cirrus CS4398 chipset which I believe is Delta Sigma, and analogue volume through motorised Alps pot.  Moon 240i DAC stage is Sabre ES9010K2.

All perform well with the Q-Acoustics and I find quite close in sound quality (clarity, sound stage etc.).  Moon DAC and power stage is the leanest at the bottom end, but that mainly seems to be the DAC stage.  The Marantz through either the Moon power stage or M-125's has better bottom end, with a small edge to the M-125's with the KT120's.

I keep eyeing off the Benchmark DAC3, but that may need to wait a while.

The Q-Acoustics continue to be an easy load to drive and happy with any competent front end.

David

Hi Gibbo

Thanks for the reply. I've got the picture.

Yes, the Line Magnetic LM-508IA is 48W pure class A single ended. It's not just the power, but the reviews talk about a incredibly dinamics and soundstage. I think it has the power and sweetness together. We'll see. I can´t wait to hear it!

On the other hand, have you tried any Ladder DAC? Like Schiit or Audio-GD. I have the Audio-GD R2R-2 and it's very very nice. It has an analog sound (if you can call it that way), dinamics, a "LOT" of detail, etc. It sounds beautifully. Before this DAC I had the SMSL M8 wich has 9018 Sabre chip and, even considering the price difference and that I liked the M8 (its a very nice budget DAC), the sound of it was much more digital (again if you can call it that way) and thin (less full bodied). I would suggest you to try one Ladder DAC, if you can borrow one.

Finally. The LM-508 has a preamp input and I'm thinking on buying (latter on) a preamp. I'm leaning towards the Audio-GD C2 preamp that matches perfectly with my DAC and it's a completely bargain, like all of the Audio-GD stuff. I'll think about it.

Of course I think we can say all of this because the C500 are incredibly transparent and show everything your gear is doing! These are the keepers!

We'll stay in touch. Regards,

• 4 months later...

Hello Mungbean66,

Sorry for the delay.

Well, as a "restless" audiophile, I've done many tweaks on my system since the last post, and they all worked, some more than others, but all helped improving the sound.

Today I'm buying DH Labs Power Plus AC Power Cord (it has very good reviews) and some Wattgate conectors to make three DIY power cables at a very modest price because I think the power cords are the weakest link in my system (I still have the original power cords and a AC multiple socket that you can see on the pictures attached). Nevertheless, today my system sounds like heaven, really AMAZING. 

Let me say what I have today:

Notebook (regular) with i3 processor with Windows 10 streaming with Tidal app.

Dirac Audio Processor with filters digitally correcting Room Acoustics.

Audioquest Jitterbug as passive USB filter

Wyred4Sound Recovery USB reclocker to help the DAC with the jitter

DH Labs Silver USB cable

Audio-GD R2R-2 DAC

Kimber Timbre RCA interconnects

Line Magnetic LM-508 integrated valve amp (impressive with original valves, but incredible with upgraded ones)

Tungsol NOS 6SN7 matched pair (my favorite among many I've tried)

Tungsol NOS 6SL7 single (the same opinion, I LOVE this brand, I also tried a pair of 12AX7 on another amp)

Genalex Gold Lion 300B cryo (very nice)

Psvane 805A TT Collection (much better than the original Psvane 805)

Kimber 8PR speaker cables biwired

Q Acoustics Concept 500 (with out words to describe them)

Bada LB-5600 power filter

PS Audio Noise Harvesters (3 units)

All conections (power cords, RCA, speaker cables and valves pins) have Mapleshade Silclear applied on, a very nice improvement in sound I would say.

So, I have been busy!! ?  Next stop, DH Labs Power Plus Cord for the amp, the Bada Power filter and the DAC, and I FORGOT TO MENTION.... I also have on the way a HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse for the amp!!! ? 

Of course, I also took care of speaker positioning. I have not to many space to move them, but I've tried my best on what I have.

Today I cannot believe the sound, it's incredible!!! Really really really outstanding. The perfection is from another world and I'm sure will improve (I hope significantly) with the power cords and the fuse.

The thing you get with SO MANY tweaks on a great system is a transparency that it's not just every single detail on the music, but unbelievable perfection in tones, instrument air and separation, complete black background, deep and wide soundstage, tons of dymanics and PRaT (the LM-508 is a monster on this field) and zero harshness. It's incredible!!

I send you a couple of photos. I hope I answer your request!

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pedro G. said:

Hello Mungbean66,

Sorry for the delay.

Well, as a "restless" audiophile, I've done many tweaks on my system since the last post, and they all worked, some more than others, but all helped improving the sound.

Today I'm buying DH Labs Power Plus AC Power Cord (it has very good reviews) and some Wattgate conectors to make three DIY power cables at a very modest price because I think the power cords are the weakest link in my system (I still have the original power cords and a AC multiple socket that you can see on the pictures attached). Nevertheless, today my system sounds like heaven, really AMAZING. 

Let me say what I have today:

Notebook (regular) with i3 processor with Windows 10 streaming with Tidal app.

Dirac Audio Processor with filters digitally correcting Room Acoustics.

Audioquest Jitterbug as passive USB filter

Wyred4Sound Recovery USB reclocker to help the DAC with the jitter

DH Labs Silver USB cable

Audio-GD R2R-2 DAC

Kimber Timbre RCA interconnects

Line Magnetic LM-508 integrated valve amp (impressive with original valves, but incredible with upgraded ones)

Tungsol NOS 6SN7 matched pair (my favorite among many I've tried)

Tungsol NOS 6SL7 single (the same opinion, I LOVE this brand, I also tried a pair of 12AX7 on another amp)

Genalex Gold Lion 300B cryo (very nice)

Psvane 805A TT Collection (much better than the original Psvane 805)

Kimber 8PR speaker cables biwired

Q Acoustics Concept 500 (with out words to describe them)

Bada LB-5600 power filter

PS Audio Noise Harvesters (3 units)

All conections (power cords, RCA, speaker cables and valves pins) have Mapleshade Silclear applied on, a very nice improvement in sound I would say.

So, I have been busy!! ?  Next stop, DH Labs Power Plus Cord for the amp, the Bada Power filter and the DAC, and I FORGOT TO MENTION.... I also have on the way a HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse for the amp!!! ? 

Of course, I also took care of speaker positioning. I have not to many space to move them, but I've tried my best on what I have.

Today I cannot believe the sound, it's incredible!!! Really really really outstanding. The perfection is from another world and I'm sure will improve (I hope significantly) with the power cords and the fuse.

The thing you get with SO MANY tweaks on a great system is a transparency that it's not just every single detail on the music, but unbelievable perfection in tones, instrument air and separation, complete black background, deep and wide soundstage, tons of dymanics and PRaT (the LM-508 is a monster on this field) and zero harshness. It's incredible!!

I send you a couple of photos. I hope I answer your request!

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Thanks for the update mate, definitely answered my question. I still miss that SET sound. Your a lucky man with that system.

Unfortunately I needed to go a different direction (speakers and amplification) for my system. Fortunately, I made some great choices and I'm loving the sound I get now.

On 29/07/2018 at 12:43 AM, Mungbean66 said:

Thanks for the update mate, definitely answered my question. I still miss that SET sound. Your a lucky man with that system.

Unfortunately I needed to go a different direction (speakers and amplification) for my system. Fortunately, I made some great choices and I'm loving the sound I get now.

Hello Mungbean,

What sytem do you have today and which one did you have before?

How are your impressions in both?

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 04/08/2018 at 12:59 AM, Pedro G. said:

Hello Mungbean,

What sytem do you have today and which one did you have before?

How are your impressions in both?

Thank you!

Hey Pedro,

Apologies about the belated reply mate.

I started off with a pair of Hifiman HE300 headphones and after a year of headfi, got a cheap system my wife bought me. 

It was a Yamaha R-S300, a cheap turntable and a pair of Jensen X1 speakers (quickly replaced by the Q Acoustic 3010). I eventually got a very good deal on a pair of second hand Monitor Audio S6 speakers and started using them. The amp changed and the 3010s and the R-S300 became a secondary system. The sources were a Pioneer PLX-500 turntable (with a Rega Exact cartrdige) a MHDT Labs Paradesia 3 DAC. Cables have remained generic or DIY jobs.

Slowly I upgraded everything and I now have a Schiit Saga Pre-amp into a Aspen NASKA 80 power amp into a pair of Hulgich Serenade loudspeakers and lastly a Lengend Acoustics Kurlette Sub. The sources are a Lenehan PDX (feed by a ALLO USBridge streamer) and I am waiting for a HifimeDIY UDA38 DAC (9038pro based DAC) to arrive for my PS4.

If I am honest, for a long time I wasn't really happy with my system and I spent a lot of time and a small amount of money selling and buying. I found that a lot of 'high end' stuff I had heard (through other people) although amazing was ruthless and unforgiving of source material. After listening to a mates impressive but more modest system; I realised I wanted to enjoy all music and not only the music that was recorded well. His system was fantastic and what most audiphiles would consider 'musical'.

So the PDX Dac, in combination with pre and power amp were a big step up in sound quality. Not nearly as big as the speakers though, they were a revelation. Everything became much clearer and better defined; including bass. The music is more enjoyable and some songs even give me chills. Ultimately, I no longer feel the need to change anything which I think is a good indicator that I've built a system that suits me.

Apolgies about the long winded reply mate.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Guest deanB

Have just noticed that the Concept 500 are now $8k rrp in Australia. Thats an $1800 price rise.

Are they still good value as an $8k speaker?

The price rise is probably good news for Andy@ Audiofix with the new Falcon Studio 30 at $6500. And word on the street is that ATC have a new Australian distributor and possible price reductions are in the wings. I wonder how transparent the Concept 500 would sound next to a Scm40?

Edited by deanB
Further coalescing of thoughts

Good pickup.  That is quite a price hike.  That, plus limited distribution, will make them a pretty niche purchase.  Very competitive space.  Not quite such an easy decision.

Still very happy with mine.  Superb for Jazz and Vocals.  Not quite so convinced on Classical and Rock.  Prefer to drive them with the added weight of KT120 valves, and have added a SVS-SB2000 to take the bass down lower and fill out the rather large room they live in.   

Speaking of rises, I also noticed the Moon 240i jumped from $3k to $4k!

Guest deanB
On 05/04/2019 at 6:21 PM, gibbo9000 said:

Good pickup.  That is quite a price hike.  That, plus limited distribution, will make them a pretty niche purchase.  Very competitive space.  Not quite such an easy decision.

Still very happy with mine.  Superb for Jazz and Vocals.  Not quite so convinced on Classical and Rock.  Prefer to drive them with the added weight of KT120 valves, and have added a SVS-SB2000 to take the bass down lower and fill out the rather large room they live in.   

Speaking of rises, I also noticed the Moon 240i jumped from $3k to $4k!

Yes, it's a different playing field at $8k for sure. But you were first in, best dressed so to speak.

The new price may help second hand sellers resale value too.

Nice to see you're having success with valve amplification. I used a few different amps with my QA 3050, best by far was the 38w Line Magnetic 216ia (Kt88).

Guest deanB

The new Concept 300 standmount is $5999 rrp. Kinda had to bump the price of the C500 up.

The stands for the C300 are unusual. Not much chance of mass loading.

300_on_stand-768x1243.thumb.jpg.abc0f6573f6835923ceed0bfde52dd9f.jpg