Streaming for <$1000 system

I'm recommending a friend in an apartment get some some Audioengine A5+ speakers for CDs, movies and streaming Spotify

For music  I'm thinking a second hand or new DAC for $200-300. What would be a good streamer for this setup?

Are these UPNP players user-friendly?

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-player.html

Or would bluetooth do?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/logitech/logitech-bluetooth-audio-adapter/560263/

I can set it up, but reliability and user friendliness is important. 

@Fitzroyalty

Shameless plug but I have a Denon Heos Link that does everything you are asking, it gives you full pre-amp capability (both digital and analogue inputs) it has an inbuilt DAC and Spotify Connect capability which is the best way to experience spotify, its in the classifieds. Asking $200

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fitzroyalty said:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-player.html

These are great but user friendly? depends on your IT level, can be a bit of mucking around with the software side of things. Something like a Heos is the user friendly simple experience. 

• Thanks 1

It really depends on your friend, but you could get a raspberry pi with a s/pdif HAT (such as the Digi+ from HiFiBerry) along with a separate DAC. What one are you thinking of getting?

Otherwise skip the separate DAC and get something like the Allo Boss you mentioned or a decent DAC HAT for the raspberry pi (like DAC+ or I-sabre).

You've then got a choice of software (including volumio, picoreplayer or Roon) to stream/cast to over a variety of protocols. A lot of these preferences will depend on if playing some music over the LAN or if it's all from a service (eg Spotify, Apple Music).

The bluetooth adapter is definitely a cheaper option but obviously lossy and the onboard DAC will likely be a step down from the other options.

Bluetooth is cheap. I have various versions including the Logitech. For the price the Logitech works well.

I have some of the Allo products - I like it, but is a bit DIY. Lot better quality than Bluetooth, may not be that obvious through the speakers.

Is your friend using an Apple phone? If so an older version of Airport Express or even Apple TV are small neat solutions.

Bluesound Node gen1 would sell second hand for that price. You can get external bluetooth adapters to suit and the app is great, they keep improving it all the time. 

Sound is great with the inbuilt dac and has spotify support, you can control it from the spotify app - though i havnt used spotify with it, just Tidal and it works great.

i think i paid about $250 two years ago

1 hour ago, Fitzroyalty said:

Thank you all for these great answers so far. To clarify my friend is an Android user and not very tech-savvy at all. CDs being played through his Blu-Ray played via a DAC would be ideal too. 

Does the blue ray player have a built in dac? (Ie: rca outs)

if so that could go straight to the speakers. If not then maybe something by cambridge audio 2nd hand.

id be tempted to get a $50 google chromecast audio for his spotify listening, they are super cheap and work very easy (app intergration) just make sure full dynamic range is on in settings. 

• Like 1

Then a denon heos/sonos/bluesound thing is really the best bet in my view. Should be able to find a first gen version pretty cheap.

Although for these speaksrs and spotify music i do really think a ChromeCast audio would do fine, then just get whatever you need to plug the bluray player into.

seems like both inputs are always on/active - you cant switch between them. Is this a problem?

• Like 1

On 26/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, Fitzroyalty said:

Yes, all windows computers have DLNA built into them. You right click the music file the select "play to" and the music comes out of the UNUP/ DLNA end point.

bubble UNUP android app also lets you select a music file from a source(server/ pc / NAS) and send the audio to an end point.

As for that particular unit. No experience with it.

Does your friends existing bluray player have DLNA? many do these days. I'd suggest a $100 Samsung or Pioneer bluray player with DLNA since it can stream music and video out of the one box, and play discs.

I see no point for a DAC with the speakers you suggest.

Bluray analog output will be sufficient.

DLNA/ UNUP has much higher sound quality than blutooth. It plays at CD quality and even high resolution. Whereas blutooth is compressed like mp3 192 and sounds like it too.

Another suggestion is an Android TV box with the andoid KODI app. It will play everything and you can stream to it, and use the KORE app on the android phone to control it. Its a doddle to use. It will cost $50 and will get the job done just fine.

The other question is, what do you want to stream and from where?

Edited by eltech
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eltech said:

I see no point for a DAC with the speakers you suggest.

Bluray analog output will be sufficient.

I use these speakers in my office with the Audioengine D1 USB DAC from iMac to the speakers. Tis great as no power supply required over USB but it does also accept an optical input, not that I've used that. In my situation I needed a USB DAC as as the speakers would play computer sound effects if I used the iMac's 3.5mm headphone (or mini optical) output.

Would they be happy to play CD's or stream from a laptop/desktop computer? As already mentioned several BD players have spotify and Netflix apps which might be the easiest to set up but not sure of how Spotify or others are controlled via BD players. If wanting a standalone streamer I'd say the ease of use of a Sonos Connect trumps all the others, and if they get hooked it is Roon Ready and a re-cloker takes it to audiophile SQ.

• Like 1