Marantz pm6006 v Camebridge cxa 80

G'day people, apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I've never used an internet forum before so please be patient.

I'm looking at buying an integrated amp and the marantz pm 6006 caught my eye. After reading some reviews I became concerned about the need to be pretty computer savvy, which I am not, and the need to run an app on my phone to use the unit. For this reason I have also been reading about the camebridge cxa80 and I would appreciate peoples assessments of either and or both units.

Dumb question time.

I am a pre digital, pre internet human and I need to know if either or both of these units can be plugged into analogue turn tables such as the technics 1200? Do the units receive analogue radio signals or are they internet radio only? Do I need to understand bluetooth and device pairing to connect phones, computers etc to the units?

I ask this here because when I talk to sales assistants in shops all I get is a 14 foot long list of alternative products I could/should buy.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Lowtec fella
  • Like 1

Hi Lowtec and welcome to the forum :thumb:

I can’t help on the Marantz but I do own the Cambridge cxa80.

in my view, it is a stunner for the price and I have no regrets on the purchase.

To briefly answer your questions, integrated amps do not generally have a radio tuner. That is the domain of AVRs (audio visual receivers).

The cxa80 does not have a phono preamp for your turntable. You would need a separate phono preamp to connect to both your turntable and the cxa80.

There are no apps to manage but there is an optional Bluetooth dongle which will enable you to stream services such as Spotify, Tidal or Tunein for radio from your phone or tablet.

As far as computer connection go, if you have music files on your computer, you can attach it directly to the cxa80 via the USB port and press play on your computer.

Hope that gives you some of the info you were after.

Cheers

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lowtec fella said:

G'day people, apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I've never used an internet forum before so please be patient.

I'm looking at buying an integrated amp and the marantz pm 6006 caught my eye. After reading some reviews I became concerned about the need to be pretty computer savvy, which I am not, and the need to run an app on my phone to use the unit. For this reason I have also been reading about the camebridge cxa80 and I would appreciate peoples assessments of either and or both units.

Dumb question time.

I am a pre digital, pre internet human and I need to know if either or both of these units can be plugged into analogue turn tables such as the technics 1200? Do the units receive analogue radio signals or are they internet radio only? Do I need to understand bluetooth and device pairing to connect phones, computers etc to the units?

I ask this here because when I talk to sales assistants in shops all I get is a 14 foot long list of alternative products I could/should buy.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

HI, I stumbled across your query by accident. The Marantz 6006 has a phono stage for your T.T. you do not 

really want to start getting into separate phono stages and suitable cable for it in this ( Marantz ) price range.

With what is basically a starter amp but i think it is a good choice if you have a T.T.   Bluetooth etc is not my

area (wolster coverd that)  Richard T.

Hi there, since your looking around the $1500 price range and want inbuilt phono why not look at the Rega range? Either the new Brio or the Elex 3.

simple to use and sounds great

edit: sorry didnt see last paragraph refering to the long list of other products to buy. Please ignore me!

Edited by Andrews_melb

Both great units.

As above if listening from a TT the Marantz has a phono in built that is pretty good.

Both will need an external fm or dab tuner if you want to listen to radio though both can be connected to a TV and listen to radio on the free to air TV radio stations.

The Cambridge audio has a little more connectivity via its dac if you ever want to get into computer audio via usb. (sorry not trying to confuse you)

As above Cambridge will need an external phono preamp. There are a few from Cambridge audio, project or rega for around $100

I like the looks, sound and dac a bit better on the Cambridge though it is a bit more expensive and you will need a phono + extra cabling.

Always best to go and listen to them if possible and try find a salesman that suits you.

Best of luck with it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Marantz PM6006, it DOES have a pretty good internal dac, good connectivity, phono and excellent sound, has won quite a few awards (in the UK).

Shopped around in Melbourne{Clef good price) and Adelaide and ended up getting it for a very good price at Dennis White.