Inexpensive, Small Footprint Amplifier Suggestions?

Marc

• Administrator

I'm simplifying my alfresco area and giving it a bit of a revamp for Summer.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive ($500-$600) amplifier to power a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers.

It simply needs RCA low level inputs. I'll be connecting only an Alexa Echo Dot to it as a source. Technically, no volume control is required as I can control that from Alexa.

It will be located outside, but under cover and away from direct sunlight and rain.

At the moment the only standout is NAD's D 3020 (which does give the added bonus of Bluetooth connectivity). Does anyone have any other small footprint simple amplifier suggestions?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marc said:

'm looking for a relatively inexpensive ($500-$600) amplifier to power a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers.

Schiit Vidar Marc, 9" X 13" X 3.5" Good sound/power/price. The way they're selling I'm sure a used one will come up soon. You'd get it trade price anyway. Or you could strike up an advertising contra deal with Mike Moffat.

http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Schiit Vidar Marc, 9" X 13" X 3.5" Good sound/power/price. The way they're selling I'm sure a used one will come up soon. You'd get it trade price anyway. Or you could strike up an advertising contra deal with Mike Moffat.

http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Cheers George

Nice but $1149 locally, a little over the justifiable budget unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Nice but $1149 locally, a little over the justifiable budget unfortunately.

Go direct, they gave me a good trade price on a Freya, yet to take it up though.

And you can do advertising contra with them.

Cheers George

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've looked all of them up.

Yammy's WXA-50 seems to fit the bill I think :thumb:

Hi Marc, I'm in the same boat as you but mine specifically needs an optical IN which that Yammy does have. Did you come across anything else that might fit the criteria in your research? Everything I've looked at that seems to fit the bill is either under powered or lacks an optical input.

A separate DAC defeats the purpose of trying to simplify and keep everything neat too... 

32 minutes ago, ELYAS said:

Hi Marc, I'm in the same boat as you but mine specifically needs an optical IN which that Yammy does have. Did you come across anything else that might fit the criteria in your research? Everything I've looked at that seems to fit the bill is either under powered or lacks an optical input.

A separate DAC defeats the purpose of trying to simplify and keep everything neat too... 

I know what you mean but what about a dragonfly DAC?

I'm in the process of buying a Sonos Connect Amp from a member here to run my alfresco speakers which will just use ethernet connection. Sorry, no optical in.

EDIT: Sorry re the Dragonfly, was getting confused with self powering USB DAC's...

Edited by blybo

The Bluesound Powernode2..
I have one currently and for its size and convenience is great.
Think.. Node2 with 60 watt amp in a package not much bigger than the node2.
I have run several bookshelf speakers with this and it never ceases to amaze me.
Might be selling[emoji6]

Yamaha A-U671 (one if these in the classifieds that's new in box for $310... here

- Small footprint of 314 x 70 x 342 mm 

- Single stereo RCA input

- Has added bonus of inbuilt DAC (for any guests that want to plug in iphone or android. Works without issue with both systems).

Has good volume control for low level background music and enough power to get the neighbours knocking on your door after an afternoon on the Pinot Grigio, Alfresco style.. ;)