Tonearm for Kuzma Stabi Reference

Hi all,

For many years my Kuzma Stabi Reference had an Alphason Xenon MCS tonearm which seemed like a good match for the various Ortofon cartridges that I have used.  Earlier this year I inherited my first Linn LP 12 from the early 1980s, with an upgraded plinth and Hercules power supply, so I transferred the Alphason to the LP12 for a classic 1980s deck.  It is performing great once setup by Audio Genesis.  While I have enjoyed the LP12 and I am keeping it, I now need to hunt for another tonearm for my Kuzma SR.

I've never had the opportunity to hear Kuzma tonearms so would like to hear from anyone with experience in using the Kuzma Stogi Reference or the new 4points 9" tonearms. I presuming that they will have some synergy being from the same manufacturer.

I'm also open to buying 2ndhand, I've come across a Zeta and a Triplanar VII which are considerably cheaper than a brand new Kuzma Stogi Reference.  Interested in comments with respect to these tonearms and how they perform.  While the VTA is good to have its not a must as I've never changed the VTA for different records once I've set up the cartridge using the Hifi News record setup disc.

The cartridges that I'll be using will be a Dynavector XX2 MKII or an Ortofon MC2000 MKII/Ortofon MC70.

Thanks

Alan

32 minutes ago, alain said:

... I've never changed the VTA for different records once I've set up the cartridge using the Hifi News record setup disc.

Hi Alan,

I'm interested to know which track on the HFNRR test LP you use for getting your VTA right?

Thanks,

Andy

In addition to talking to Warwick, if you also want another user perspective, @rossb is the man as he has tried several of the Kuzma arms (as well as others) on his Kuzma Reference table.

1 hour ago, katattack74 said:

Talk to Warrick from Sonic Purity/PMG.   I heard the 9inch 4 point arm on the Stabi Reference table using a low output Lyra Kleos cart.  Sounded very good to me, YMMV though. 

Do they have the combo on demo? I might be heading down to Melbourne for work so would drop by if they do have it there and arrange a demo. Thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Hi Alan,

I'm interested to know which track on the HFNRR test LP you use for getting your VTA right?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've always started with making sure the Alphason was parallel to the HFNRR disc and proceeded to ensure that cartridge can track all of the test. Once I was happy with the tracking I then picked out a few discs then would set the VTA.  I marked out the pillar of the Alphason so I can adjust more easily from my starting position. Its crude but worked enough for me in the past. That would also be the case if I bought the Kuzma Stogi Reference.

Audio Genesis setup the Alphason on the LP12 perfectly parallel to the record with the Ortofon MC30 Supreme.  I've not bothered to adjust the VTA as I think it sounds fine as it is, plus I don't want to foul the suspension.

Cheers

Alan 

14 minutes ago, alain said:

Do they have the combo on demo? I might be heading down to Melbourne for work so would drop by if they do have it there and arrange a demo. Thanks for the heads up.

That was at the recent Hifi show in Melbourne.  But I'm pretty sure Warrick can arrange that.

I've had the 9 inch Stogi Ref and the 12 inch 313 VTA Stogi Ref on my Stabi Reference, as well as the Kuzma 4 Point 9 and an Audio Origimai PU7.

You can read my comments on these arms on the "Show us your turntables" thread.

I haven't heard the Zeta or the Triplanar but both are reputed to be good arms. The Triplanar in particular is known to be a good match for the Stabi Ref.

If I had to buy one arm for the Stabi Ref it would probably be the 9 inch Stogi Ref. A great arm, and a perfect match sonically and aesthetically for the Stabi Ref.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossb said:

I've had the 9 inch Stogi Ref and the 12 inch 313 VTA Stogi Ref on my Stabi Reference, as well as the Kuzma 4 Point 9 and an Audio Origimai PU7.

You can read my comments on these arms on the "Show us your turntables" thread.

I haven't heard the Zeta or the Triplanar but both are reputed to be good arms. The Triplanar in particular is known to be a good match for the Stabi Ref.

If I had to buy one arm for the Stabi Ref it would probably be the 9 inch Stogi Ref. A great arm, and a perfect match sonically and aesthetically for the Stabi Ref.

Thanks for that rossb.

Your Kuzma SR looked great with the different arms and with the VDH I'm sure sounds superb.  From what you described as the character of the different arms and having come from an Alphason Xenon my preference probably veer towards the 4points if to keep within the Kuzma stable. Although I do agree that the Kuzma Stogi Reference match the turntable aesthetically.

Cheers  

8 hours ago, alain said:

Hi Andy,

I've always started with making sure the Alphason was parallel to the HFNRR disc and proceeded to ensure that cartridge can track all of the test. Once I was happy with the tracking I then picked out a few discs then would set the VTA.

Aah, OK, Alan.  So you used the HFNRR test LP to get tracking right (ie. correct bias and correct VTF) ... and then you set your VTA using other LPs you have - I guess to get string or vocal tone the way you liked it?

Andy

It looks like that I will be heading down to Melbourne to try and hear the Kuzma arms on a Kuzma SR. I'm hoping to borrow a Tri planar VII as Warwick was happy for me to bring an arm down to compare it against the Stogi Reference and the 4points with my Dynavector cartridge.

Looking forward to it but it will probably be not be until the new year.

Will report back on how the comparison goes.

Thanks

• Like 1