Sign in to follow this  
The Grif

Time to update the home cinema. Help please.

Time to update the ageing 5.1 home cinema setup as it does not support 4K, dolby atmos or even HDMI.

I would like to put together a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 system, so have begun looking for 9 channel receivers but need a bit of help with it all. I am looking to spend no more than a little over $2k and hope it could have all the main bells and whistles. It will be used approximately 50/50 for movies and gaming. The room is open to the kitchen at its rear and is approximately 6 X 4 m.   

I have shortlisted so far:

Yamaha RX-A3070;

Yamaha RX-V3083B (not sure how it differs from the Yamaha above);

Marantz SR6012;

Denon AVR-X4400H; and

Pioneer SC-LX701.

Which way would you go? What are the pros and cons?

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks for the help.

Given you are in Melbourne, lots of retailers to visit and test a few of them. I prefer the Denon sound to Yamaha but you may differ. That will help with narrowing the options. Also, look at power consumption (higher the better) of AVRs to give a better idea of ability to drive speakers; claimed power per channel is marketing bs.

I assume you are keeping the existing speakers, so you will need to include 4 ceiling speakers in your budget. Suggest looking at Krix.

Not sure whether you have considered it, but a second sub improves the HT experience. However, will blow up budget.

The other thing to consider is room correction which puts the Yamaha and Pioneer behind. Denon, Marantnz have the superior Audyssey, and upgrade to the better version if available.

definitely worth checking the yamaha out as with other options as per snoopy's suggestion.

with the D&N product id buy something from 2015 as they are providing an update to bring upto spec. no need to buy latest and greatest and means could buy something on run out or demo or 2nd hand for quite a saving and get a much better receiver to boot :)

Bang for buck, hard to go past the the Marantz SR6012 for $1870 here.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Have done a little calling around and it seems the best value for money is likely a Yamaha RX-A2070. Will audition one this afternoon.

I'm planning on using Krix in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that have a sensitivity of around 89 dB (Mains) and 86 dB (Centre, Rears and Ceiling), so need a bit of poke.

Supposedly the output of the Marantz SR6012 would be limited for this application and the Yamaha RX-A2070 would do a better job.

Hi Grif,

Sounds like you're planning on using the Symmetrix as Left + Right and Hemispherix AS as Centre + Surrounds + Atmos?

Edit: Have found the message button and will send a PM.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Krix Loudspeakers