Berning/ ZOTL amps

• Volunteer

I know Bill Mclean sells these but just wondering if anyone knows these amps ?

Made by David Berning, the technology looks very interesting but not I'm not sure I understand how they work?

The Berning ZH amplifiers take advantage of new technology in order to eliminate the audio-output transformer. These amplifiers use radio frequency to change the voltage-current transfer characteristics of the output tubes from their normal impedance-plane to one suitable for driving a dynamic loudspeaker. The radio frequency re-mapping is implemented using special high-frequency power conversion techniques. The high-voltage, low-current tube impedance-plane is re-mapped to the high-current speaker impedance-plane through a special transformer at a constant RF carrier frequency of 250 kHz (500 kHz for the ZH230). Because the audio signal is riding on a carrier, it is not subject to parasitic elements of the transformer that would otherwise distort the audio signal. There is no low-frequency limit for this impedance conversion, and these amplifiers are dc-coupled, with the exception of a small, high-quality, dc-blocking capacitor at the input of the amplifier to prevent the amplification and application to the speaker of any dc that might be present at the input.

http://davidberning.com/products/zh230

3 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

these amplifiers are dc-coupled, with the exception of a small, high-quality, dc-blocking capacitor at the input of the amplifier

I don't know the amps per se, but that above is some really bad marketing talk, especially the bit in my quote ^^^^.  If they have a capacitor at the input then they are AC not DC coupled no matter what BS the spin department wants to use.

• Like 1

OTLs intrigue me but unfortunately so far I haven't had the opportunity to hear one..... :cry:

Just based on reputation alone in particular the  Berning is definitely on my 'want to hear' list !! 

When you get one sent down for an audition make sure you invite me over for a listen okay Sir Sanders !!! :D 

• Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Martykt said:

See Wavac 833 frequency response....... ?

Hopefully you're threads safe Sir Sanders, I don't think Wavac make an OTL..... ?

I get it now. 

Back on topic, does anyone understand what this RF carrier signal thing means ?

37 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I get it now. 

Back on topic, does anyone understand what this RF carrier signal thing means ?

From what I can gather the audio signal is modulated on a carrier signal in the same way that FM or AM radio works. (Not sure whether Berning modulates amplitude or frequency ??)

A much smaller transformer that doesn't have the deficiencies of bulky transformers then can be used for the impedance conversion.

The carrier wave is then filtered out giving the original audio signal.

I think that's roughly how it works...... :unsure: 

There is also the patent on his website which goes into more detail on how it works.

Pretty heady reading though....... ?

http://davidberning.com/technology

http://davidberning.com/technology/patent5612646

Edited by Martykt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Micro Zotl 2.0 headphone/pre is absolutely stunning. I'm running mine through an Elektra Reference Hd into a pair of Maggie 1.7's and together they make a beautiful noise.In my system the Zotl left Arthur's latest pre for dead. Give it a listen if you can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Volunteer
On 12/24/2017 at 2:52 PM, Blk plastic said:

The Micro Zotl 2.0 headphone/pre is absolutely stunning. I'm running mine through an Elektra Reference Hd into a pair of Maggie 1.7's and together they make a beautiful noise.In my system the Zotl left Arthur's latest pre for dead. Give it a listen if you can.

would love to hear this driving my horns!