Atomic Blonde - bass drop @ 1h 10s

Hey,

not a particularly bass heavy sound track, lots of 80’s tracks, but OMG the bass drop at an hour 10min was crazy and came out of no where. Shook the walls and ceiling, I even felt the lounge vibrate. 

Maybe be I don’t need a second sub after all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony ray said:

I read on AVS that the Bass drops off like a cliff at 50 Hz. What sort of Sub do you have?

Sunfire HRS-12 in a room about 4.5x4 which the lounge middlish. Yeah not much bass going on in the rest of the movie compared to most action movies now days. 

It it was pretty good, lady Bourne if you will :)

Edit, the room is about 9m long but that the kitchen off to one side. The lounger room is about that size with speakers facing that wall. 

Edited by PauliD

Guest scumbag
13 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

I absolutely loved the movie, but the low bass is pretty poor in this one, the overall soundtrack is very enjoyable though. Nearly 30dB down by 20hz is weak sauce, I'm not sure why they would choose to mix any modern action film this way

Because people generally (I'm talking your average movie going Joe, no SNA'ers) can't tell the difference between low bass and sub-bass. Commercial subs don't generally go that low anyway and delivering real sub-bass to a commercial sub will either see them distort, or, if the designer did their job right, see them reject the information anyway because there will be a steep sub-bass filter applied to the outputs of the amplifiers driving the subwoofers.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/3635#.WhDRTFWWaUk

Edited by scumbag

8 hours ago, scumbag said:

Because people generally (I'm talking your average movie going Joe, no SNA'ers) can't tell the difference between low bass and sub-bass. Commercial subs don't generally go that low anyway and delivering real sub-bass to a commercial sub will either see them distort, or, if the designer did their job right, see them reject the information anyway because there will be a steep sub-bass filter applied to the outputs of the amplifiers driving the subwoofers.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/3635#.WhDRTFWWaUk

Yeah I understand that and don't get me wrong, I'm not someone that wants or needs every movie to be flat down to DC to enjoy them, a lot of my favourite movie soundtracks are filtered at 30hz or so (Pacific Rim, Both Avengers movies, Interstellar, Saving Private Ryan, Metallica:Through The Never etc) But filtering under 50hz like this and also Star Trek Beyond - I just don't see any point in that 

• Like 1