Rega RP8 Turntable any comments ?

looking at purchasing the Rega  RP8   B4 Xmas as a gift for myself :) 

Any one can comment  if you own one.or had one .good or bad  or better :)

I have  a P77  Garrott Brothers Cartridge original from the early 80s new in the box. Would this be suitable for this T/T  being only a MM. I would like to keep the cost down and use if possible.

Any thoughts would be helpful   ..Not up to speed with analogue  any more ..........

rp8.jpg

p77.jpg

Edited by Electrovoice Interface.
  • Like 1

One of the better sounding Regas. Good dynamics, nice and quick. Great turntable to listen too. Musical even.

Use the P77. You can also get a VTA kit for these from Decibel HiFi which the P77 might need. Otherwise, a shim or two might be handy.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 2

Great turntable. Mine saw off some much more expensive contenders (including the RP10).  It is good enough to be an end game turntable, and I could have lived happily with mine if I didn't feel the irrational desire to spend large amounts of money unnecessarily .

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, rossb said:

Great turntable. Mine saw off some much more expensive contenders (including the RP10).  It is good enough to be an end game turntable, and I could have lived happily with mine if I didn't feel the irrational desire to spend large amounts of money unnecessarily .

Many here are the beneficiaries of your irrational compulsions Ross.  :thumb:

I've never owned an RP8, but have spent a bit of time listening to albums played on one.  It sounded fantastic to me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Electrovoice Interface. said:

I would like to keep the cost down and use if possible.

This is Hifi man keep the cost down just isn't in the Hifi dictionary :winky::winky:

A very nice TT though I don't think you can go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Theres an RP8 on ebay right now with a Clear Audio MM Cart for $2,300... buy the used TT sell the cart and get a new Apheta or Ania and you are laughing.

I have a P7 with a rewired arm and Exact cart, super happy with it.  If the RP8 is indeed an improvement as i imagine it is then you are in for a treat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marshall_SLX said:

Theres an RP8 on ebay right now with a Clear Audio MM Cart for $2,300... buy the used TT sell the cart and get a new Apheta or Ania and you are laughing.

I have a P7 with a rewired arm and Exact cart, super happy with it.  If the RP8 is indeed an improvement as i imagine it is then you are in for a treat.

nice ebay find...local pick up only!

• Like 1

On 16/11/2017 at 9:01 PM, rossb said:

I didn't feel the irrational desire to spend large amounts of money unnecessarily .

+1

Got off this train too a few stations back......:mellow:

I'm happy at my destination and will be for a while methinks..:winky:

Tase

14 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Perhaps save a bit get the rp6 and a cartridge? 

The new Planar 6 even, with all it's upgrades over the P6 reading the reviews you wonder how close to RP8 performance it is. For example....it's included PSU is the newer version than the RP8 and uses technology from the RP10.

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

If I were planning on buying a Rega TT of any model, it certainly wouldn't be new.

They are a far bit of coin RRP in Australia I noted, I had a friend visiting the UK and they were around $2000 aud (after with VAT returned) and then you'd have to pay GST when bringing it in.

We did have one sell fro $2300 with the Apheta cart a few months back.

• Like 1

oh yeah, that's the other thing...for the OP....the RP8 surely must be next in line for a revision (Rega having done the Planar 1,2,3 in 2016 and the 6 in 2017)....so if you buy one new resale value could be a concern....but that's ONLY if you sell! She could be good enough for life :)

13 hours ago, The Spider said:

The new Planar 6 even, with all it's upgrades over the P6 reading the reviews you wonder how close to RP8 performance it is. For example....it's included PSU is the newer version than the RP8 and uses technology from the RP10.

@Electrovoice Interface.The new Neo power supply works with the RP8 and you can get the rigid foot mounts as well if you decide to upgrade it.