Jump to content

Peter the Greek

Multimeters?

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the input all......I should have known better than to expect a universal answer on SNA!

 

Our sparky is coming this week to do some work on our solar system, so he'll check everything, therefore its not urgent. I think I'll hunt around for a good deal on the Fluke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 6:40 PM, Addicted to music said:

Don't know what the whinging is all about but let me get this right;  you bought a cheap meter,  so you can idiot proof your Highly praised expensive Fluke, that's possibly been in a locked up display cabinet so you can idolised you have one!  :P

That poor cheap MM has possibly been to hell and back and possibly that whoever has used it has dropped it in the toilet like my best man with his smart phone in a public toilet!   A decade on you pull it apart and whinge about corrosion that's been sitting in your garage all this time.....  Now that's money well spent!   :D

Like my brother in law once said, you have a choice to by a $150k Merc drive it for 5yrs and trade it in and get bugger all for it, ooorrr,  you could have bought a Commodore Exec for $40k  and trashed the crap out of it for 5yrs.... :w00t:

 

 

That was a very strange post. The reason for posting the pics was to illustrate the point I made previously, about one of the biggest problems with cheap meters (crap switches). As for "idolising" my Fluke meter, no, it's called DH proofing my gear, from idiots that don't know how to look after tools. I'd rather they dropped my $80? cheapy in the dunny, than a nearly $600 meter in there. The job didn't require a decent meter, only something that would give a reasonably accurate reading, but it couldn't even do that reliably.

 

As for the Fluke, until the last few years, it was used every day and in harsh environments, just that the person using it was the one who paid for it, and so it has been looked after. Now it only gets used roughly a couple of times a week, but is still as good as the day I bought it back in '94.

 

As a side note, back when I was in the RAAF, one of my jobs was repairing test equipment of all kinds, after trainees and apprentices had been let loose on it. It would make you cry to see what used to happen to some of the gear that your tax dollars had paid for....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2017 at 10:42 AM, bob_m_54 said:

That was a very strange post. The reason for posting the pics was to illustrate the point I made previously, about one of the biggest problems with cheap meters (crap switches). As for "idolising" my Fluke meter, no, it's called DH proofing my gear, from idiots that don't know how to look after tools. I'd rather they dropped my $80? cheapy in the dunny, than a nearly $600 meter in there. The job didn't require a decent meter, only something that would give a reasonably accurate reading, but it couldn't even do that reliably.

 

As for the Fluke, until the last few years, it was used every day and in harsh environments, just that the person using it was the one who paid for it, and so it has been looked after. Now it only gets used roughly a couple of times a week, but is still as good as the day I bought it back in '94.

 

As a side note, back when I was in the RAAF, one of my jobs was repairing test equipment of all kinds, after trainees and apprentices had been let loose on it. It would make you cry to see what used to happen to some of the gear that your tax dollars had paid for....

Apologies for any ill feelings....   I was just having some fun over the value of cheap MM...

I'm like you,  I don't need lend any tools that I own to anyone...  But sorry that's how It goes,  I've seen idiot colleagues blow up $600 Becmans.   Techs like these don't deserve nice tools,  in my entire career I've never blown any MM, may have left tools such as screw drivers etc behind on clients sites and loosing them, but never have blown any measuring tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an apprentice we made a moving coil multimeter, everything except the meter movement. Then we had to swap with each other to test them, the idiot that got mine decided to see what happened when plugged into the mains on a DC range.

I no longer have that multimeter and he failed the project and had to make another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Batty said:

As an apprentice we made a moving coil multimeter, everything except the meter movement. Then we had to swap with each other to test them, the idiot that got mine decided to see what happened when plugged into the mains on a DC range.

I no longer have that multimeter and he failed the project and had to make another.

Young apprentices think they're indestructible,

ive had idiots at TAFE shorting out PSU  output terminals,  charge caps up and short them out!   One d--head brought a laser unit to school for show and tell and decided at the end of it to aim it people's eyes...  All this stuff is now a sackable offence or in TAFE,  expulsion for life! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't buy another Fluke. I have had this one in use since around 1983/4 and have just noticed a missing display segment. Also I am quite disappointed with the case discolouration highlighted when my Dymo name tag finally fell off, not to mention that it has used around four or five 9volt batteries in 30 or so years. At least my home made probes have not withered like the multimeter5a1c024846ff5_Fluke8020A-2.thumb.jpg.12968f447537345679fffdf0fc5f34ca.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I still use this AWA voltohmyst and it still has the original tube. Great on vintage radios and accurate after a decent warm up time. Love using old test gear on vintage stuff. There is something trustworthy in an old analogue meter although I use my Fluke on new stuff.bcafd846324d3af9d23be5d1c04b901b.jpgf0a487922b93e357c8599e6e0fb592d6.jpg

Edited by Simonon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vintage test equipment only gets to be vintage when it's a good brand..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 6:21 AM, Addicted to music said:

My requirements for a MM.

 

must be true RMS.

must have at least 10M input resistance plus.

must have auto ranging on all inputs.

must have a backlight display.

must have a peak min/max hold function.

waterproof and dust proof is a bonus but I'd also prefer stupid/idiot  proof as backup incase some idiot picks it up and do the wrong thing........(and that could be me and my old age on a bad day!   :blush:

 

 

if you build crossovers then a capacitance meter is handy - but they mostly all have that these days...

...I've only ever built active crossovers, so I've never needed an inductance meter:cool:, so I'm not sure if my cheapie has one or not...

 

The leads and connections are always better on the better gear.

On my cheapie when you measure ohms and hold the probes hard together the reading fluffs around a lot "mostly" reading zero :(.

I haven't used a decent meter for 30 years, but I'd hope a good one doesn't do this.

 

As with any gear that may sit in a drawer a lot, and especially if its a good bit of kit - take the battery out - having the battery leak inside a Fluke would make me cry.

My cheapie needs a torx to get the battery out FFS - don't buy that one!

 

cheers

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not long after this thread there was a new meter on kickstarter - probably not of immediate interest to Peter but I did forget to come back here and mention it - from the same guy that is selling the rebadged brymen that I linked at the time there is a new design meter he did in collaboration with UEI. I've got one coming in the next few weeks hopefully.

Simultaneous voltage and current measurement. Wide bandwidth trueRMS. Low burden voltage on the current reading (important for accuracy in measuring small currents) and bluetooth. It will be my first step up from the ~$50 jaycar meters so I am really looking forward to it.

 

It should have general availability in March I think once all the kick starter folks have their orders.

 

 

Edited by hochopeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks pretty impressive, and by the way he criticises poorly built meters, you'd expect it to have decent contacts and switch etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2018 at 7:29 PM, hochopeper said:

I've got one coming in the next few weeks hopefully.

Simultaneous voltage and current measurement. Wide bandwidth trueRMS. Low burden voltage on the current reading (important for accuracy in measuring small currents) and bluetooth. It will be my first step up from the ~$50 jaycar meters so I am really looking forward to it.

Did you get it?

Is it any good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


20 hours ago, rockeater said:

Did you get it?

Is it any good?

I did get it. Unfortunately I really haven't had much time for diy electronics this year so I'm not best placed to give opinion on that. The eevblog forum has threads for people with issues with it and discussion on the meter (see the stickies in this subforum - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/)

 

I do like that they are actively fixing/improving things and new firmware being released (although that could be seen both ways - depending on your use case)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×