JVC DLA Z1 Arrives..

5 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Col, you refering to the Sony 5000? not the 760?

Either way it's great to finally see the contrast has been significantly improved and by firmware! who would have thought!

Thats the one Rich the 5000 laser model ; it gives me a good feeling for the future of laser projectors that jvc has managed this ;along with all the +'s for laser like instant on/off [or relatively] ; power consumption ; linear calibration needs etc :)

edit ; I just saw the 760 was a laser as well Rich ; assumed it was a globe like the lesser models ;learn something new everyday :cool:

Edited by cwt

6 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Either way it's great to finally see the contrast has been significantly improved and by firmware! who would have thought!

Native contrast cant be improved with firmware, its purely a hardware limitation. All firmware can do is control the dimming system and dimming is inherently a compromise.

Lens iris control does improve native contrast but dimming a light source does not, it just makes everything dim. However closing down the lens iris decreases ANSI contrast so there is no free lunch.

Bring on scanning direct firing RBG laser, that would get rid of the imaging chips, most of the optical system and provide infinite contrast. Dream on.

Edited by Owen

5 hours ago, Owen said:

Native contrast cant be improved with firmware, its purely a hardware limitation. All firmware can do is control the dimming system and dimming is inherently a compromise.

Lens iris control does improve native contrast but dimming a light source does not, it just makes everything dim. However closing down the lens iris decreases ANSI contrast so there is no free lunch.

Bring on scanning direct firing RBG laser, that would get rid of the imaging chips, most of the optical system and provide infinite contrast. Dream on.

Yeah I thought it was odd and thanks for explaining how that works!

HMMM ......people seem to regard the price of the Z1  with some angst.. 

On the other hand, a lot of "Audiophiles" dont think twice about laying down the equivalent ...OR  way more in cash on a set of "Speakers"  ..  and this is more acceptable??:angry:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

On the other hand, a lot of "Audiophiles" dont think twice about laying down the equivalent ...OR  way more in cash on a set of "Speakers"  ..  and this is more acceptable??:angry:

I'm an audiophile who's speakers are worth more than your Z1 (not comparing) and even though I'm personally not into HT I don't have a problem with how much you paid for your projector.

The way I see who cares if some small minded person thinks about how much you should spend on something.

Enjoy the Z1 Woofer, I'm guessing you've worked hard to get it !! :thumb: 

.......and post some more pics while you're at it for us unlucky people who are not there watching it with you !!! :D 

• Like 2

small minded person? that person was probably just wondering, after the buyer has paid multiple more than other jvc pjs, his statement..

i swear the contrast looks to be on the same level as the X9900 and X9500

so they possibly wonder what are you getting that is 4? times better?

cant see the problem with not always agreeing that someone's purchase, of anything,  is so great. its a forum open to people's opinions. cant see any problem from the op.

19 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

small minded person? that person was probably just wondering, after the buyer has paid multiple more than other jvc pjs, his statement..

The fact that i consider the perceived contrast on the same level as the X9500/X9900 is one hell of compliment to the Z1.

As far as the rest of the image ...i can confidently tell you its not even remotely comparable !! 

The Z1 is really on a whole new level.  The more i watch the more i am astonished at just how much better the overall image is from the Z1 vs the X9500/X9900......there is NO WAY i could ever go back to the E-Shift PJ,s now...

My opinion.....the Z1 is "easily" worth "4" times the cost of the X9500 or X9900. 

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 1

Its not knocking anyone, its just a big jump from what we think about general PJ prices to $10K, gee if one can afford $40k for a Pj best of luck to them, now where is my invite :popcorn: 

This reminds me of the early days of 1080p projector, the Sony Qualia which has the same 40k rrp and even bigger and heavier in size. After watching a few minutes of it in a pitch black room I immediately felt the pain paying 12k for my crappy Sony LCD. The 40k asking price suddenly seems like a bargain well worth with 100 times better in image quality then mine. 

If history is repeating itself then I wish I don't have to wait another decade for the price and size of this level of performance to come down to my level. Back to my 1k Benq. :ninja:

On 22/11/2017 at 9:41 PM, hopefullguy said:

cant see the problem with not always agreeing that someone's purchase, of anything,  is so great. its a forum open to people's opinions. cant see any problem from the op.

Why would they wonder "what are you getting that is 4 times better?" when the OP has categorically already stated:

"Because the Z1 provided the BEST picture he has ever experienced by a mile"!!

Movies that he and myself are very familiar with just take on a whole new look....;.i am honestly still coming to terms on just how sharp and detailed the image is. The image really is a HUGE step up from the E-shift series."

That's a fairly definitive statement from someone with extensive experience in a number of JVC projectors in my books. 

A NEC 9PG CRT PJ would have cost just a few grand less back in 1993 than this JVC does now, using the inflation calculation, it would be 51K now, and it was only a mid rung PJ.

I think it's money well spent.

I see somebody at the AVforum has posted a comparison shot of a Panasonic OLED V's the Z1with the same scene.

Panasonic 65" OLED

qQy96xT.thumb.jpg.7526a1eedc9b3da8c7b694abc1f021e7.jpg

JVC Z1 on a 135" screen

Z1.thumb.jpg.431c26098202c34038f31e429e00570f.jpg

Edited by Tweaky

3 hours ago, Tweaky said:

A NEC 9PG CRT PJ would have cost just a few grand less back in 1993 than this JVC does now, using the inflation calculation, it would be 51K now, and it was only a mid rung PJ.

I think it's money well spent.

Yes Tweaky ; absolutely ; its all relative to others prices . There are other ce's whose prices may shock a few :blush:

Possibly the new Barco Loki 4k cinemascope ; https://ce-pro.eu/2017/01/03/barco-cinemascope-loki-4k/

costs £52,000+VAT and includes the standard lens, although other lens options are available for an additional cost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes Tweaky ; absolutely ; its all relative to others prices . There are other ce's whose prices may shock a few :blush:

Possibly the new Barco Loki 4k cinemascope ; https://ce-pro.eu/2017/01/03/barco-cinemascope-loki-4k/

Yeah, I used to run a NEC PG, the minnow of the NEC range at a mere 65KG,,,,,I don't have the PJ any more, but I do still have a set of NOS Tubes for it. along with a setup remote and some point boards I kept....Why I don't know.?

On another note, may I make a suggestion to people taking photos of screens, and especially if wanting to make a comparision to anothher screen, using the same camera.

Purchase a Xrite color checker passport, then shoot your photos in RAW using it in the foreground.

This will allow you to color match, or more importantly, White Balance match, each photo with a mouse click, then differences which you are trying to convey will be immediately obvious, and also far more correct than  if not used.

Edited by Tweaky

Last night i settled on 39 Foot lamberts using a 4000 Nit Gamma.. High Laser / Iris -5 for 4K UHD HDR smile.gif 

The Z1 has been a very very big surprise...not only in the attributes of the superb image...but the excess in brightness that i now have.

I am still very distracted at the present by the "WOW" factor when viewing movies...i am constantly noticing things in the image that were just not conveyed by the X9500, Clarity/Colour Definition/Shadow detail....the image is "oh so" much more "Dimensional" smile.gif

Once i come down from this, it will be good to "Just" watch movies again..biggrin.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 6:42 PM, wooferocau said:

Had to popover and check out the thread after you mention it over on AVS. I see what you mean now man. I had some people around last night and put on Atomic Blonde 4K again. The comments from friends who've seen quite a few of my previous projectors and install were just blown away but the image they were presented with. I'm looking forward to biting the bullet shortly to add a Radiance to my system and check out HDR intensity mapping. The HDR image right now with Arve's tool curve loaded is already amazing, so the next increment up to the Radiance will be not a massive jump.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OzHT said:

Had to popover and check out the thread after you mention it over on AVS. I see what you mean now man. I had some people around last night and put on Atomic Blonde 4K again. The comments from friends who've seen quite a few of my previous projectors and install were just blown away but the image they were presented with. I'm looking forward to biting the bullet shortly to add a Radiance to my system and check out HDR intensity mapping. The HDR image right now with Arve's tool curve loaded is already amazing, so the next increment up to the Radiance will be not a massive jump.

Yeah Mate,   the more and more i watch the Z1 , the more i realise just how much of a HUGE step up  it is from my previous PJ,s......couldn't be happier.. :)

• Like 2

Watch'd Wind River this arvo....OMG!! Superb film and "Outstanding" Visually!!  SDR and Bluray are far from dead..

Now one of my favourite films ...

If all SDR Blurays were presented like this, i wouldn't really care about UHD,s and HDR.. !!  :thumb: