Sign in to follow this  
audiofeline

$40 Record Cleaning Machine at Aust.Post

if it were this Studebaker, I wouldn't be using water in the tank:lol:

image.png.a120a054fa79bbd73f17e6ad3652134f.png

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

So, what is the verdict re,  pouring distilled water in the tank of the STUDEBAKER - do we or don't we ?

Confused Grumpy.

When I was using it I just wetted the pads. I didn't fill the tank but now I have the Knosti I do fill the tank. If you are using your own blend I would suggest filling it but with the Knosti you get filters so you can re use the fluid and store it back in the bottle. Otherwise you will probably waste a bit.

On 26/06/2019 at 9:19 PM, audiofeline said:

FYI here is the patent for the Discwasher cleaning fluid.  The formula is in the patent info.  https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/a2/ed/e2/f7e9c54b553ae7/US3951841.pdf

And a summary, from http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=338394&highlight=discwasher+d4&session=

The cleaner basically contained an antifungal agent, a surfactant, one or two solvents to keep the surfactant soluble in water and assist in cleaning, and distilled water.

The Patent discussion indicates the following possibilities:

1. The antifungal agent was sodium azide and probably ran between 0.0001% and 0.004% by weight.
  2. The surfactant was either Triton X-114 or Triton N-57 and probably used somewhere between 0.0003% and 0.025%. These surfactants start to become insoluble in water when the temperature reaches 70 - 75°F which is what makes them effective at cleaning oils/greases but can cause formula stability problems (separation into two layers) without the assistance of a cosolvent or other surfactant.
  3. The two possible solvents are propylene glycol and isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Propylene glycol is probably run between 0.001% and 0.2%. The patent suggests IPA is run anywhere from 0.01% up to 5%.

Since this cleaner can be thought of as being similar to a glass cleaner, the total solids level usually does not exceed 0.1% by weight (glass cleaners are prone to leaving visible streaking above this level). Thus, my best guess at the original D3 Discwasher solution is:

• Sodium Azide = 0.004%
  • Surfactant (most likely Triton X-114) = 0.025%
  • Propylene Glycol = 0.01% to 0.075% (probably closer to the high end)
  • IPA = Won't hurt to run the full 5%
  • Distilled Water = quantity sufficient to add up to 100%

Given that the cause of most dandruff is fungal............................just whack some Head and Shoulders in there!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By grorr76
      Item: interested in any vacuum record cleaner 
      Price Range: 4-500 tops
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: any brand no preference automatic or manual

• By Yardbird
      Item: Knosti Disco-Antistat
      Price: $30
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: No longer needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Purchased from another SNAer a few months ago and I never used it. Decided to go with an ultrasonic set up instead due to the volume of records that I have to clean. 
      Does not have the drying rack as it never came with the system when I purchased it (missing rack show in pic three).
      Happy to post at buyers expense. 

By Guest
      I'm floating an idea here for like minding vinyl lovers. Not sure if its workable or not but here goes …….
      I had a set of records cleaned by the Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner and the results were amazing. Better than any of my various routines before including vacuum machines.
      http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-desk-systeme-vinyl-cleaner
      Now one of these machines would set you back 4K. I personally don’t have that kind of money. But, I am just wondering, would there be people out there that would possibly consider going 1/2 1/3 or 1/4? Again not sure how to work out the details of how this would work, but hey I'm putting the idea out there.
      Maybe someone else had done a share arrangement on other equipment and could share there experiences? Any thoughts, pitfalls advice appreciated!
      Cheers, Mark
    • By kylevuong19
      Item: Okki Nokki Record Cleaning machine MK2 (Black)
      Price: $500
      Item Condition: Mint
      Reason for selling: Not in use, need some fund
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Bought this a year ago and only used twice since then. I normally bought new vinyl so it's hardly use.
      Prefer local pickup but happy to ship if needed.

• By bigears
      Item: Keith Monks - Classic Duo Mk XIV
      Price: $2470-Priced to sell.
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Funds needed to spend on new house this summer.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:  
                Here it is, THE ORIGINAL and THE BEST record cleaning machine. Plenty of thread left.  I've washed approximately 100 records at most and have decided that this luxurious machine should be in the hands of someone who will use it more often....plus I recently bought a house and I have different priorities now.

This timeless Classic Duo MK XIV features two separate deck-mounted brush holders, each combined with separate fluid reservoir systems for two different cleaning fluids - one for vinyl records and another for shellac, or one for cleaning fluid and another for rinse fluid, amongst other combinations. The timber cabinet in excellent condition and looks stunning in its Classic white finish and will be a welcome edition to your beloved record collection this Christmas. 
               I really loved the "Ready to wash" set up, making the process as easy as playing a record. 

I will ship this EXTREMELY heavy item in its original Shipping box.  it is supremely heavy, so please this shipping will start at $100. If it costs any less, I will refund the difference immediately.  Local buyers are welcome to pick up.

Since this incrediable item is being sold for a steal,  Shipping and PayPal fee to be paid by the buyer.

Thanks for Looking.

Pictures: