$40 Record Cleaning Machine at Aust.Post

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

So, what is the verdict re,  pouring distilled water in the tank of the STUDEBAKER - do we or don't we ?

Confused Grumpy.

When I was using it I just wetted the pads. I didn't fill the tank but now I have the Knosti I do fill the tank. If you are using your own blend I would suggest filling it but with the Knosti you get filters so you can re use the fluid and store it back in the bottle. Otherwise you will probably waste a bit.

On 26/06/2019 at 9:19 PM, audiofeline said:

FYI here is the patent for the Discwasher cleaning fluid.  The formula is in the patent info.  https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/a2/ed/e2/f7e9c54b553ae7/US3951841.pdf

And a summary, from http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=338394&highlight=discwasher+d4&session=

The cleaner basically contained an antifungal agent, a surfactant, one or two solvents to keep the surfactant soluble in water and assist in cleaning, and distilled water.

The Patent discussion indicates the following possibilities:

1. The antifungal agent was sodium azide and probably ran between 0.0001% and 0.004% by weight.
  2. The surfactant was either Triton X-114 or Triton N-57 and probably used somewhere between 0.0003% and 0.025%. These surfactants start to become insoluble in water when the temperature reaches 70 - 75°F which is what makes them effective at cleaning oils/greases but can cause formula stability problems (separation into two layers) without the assistance of a cosolvent or other surfactant.
  3. The two possible solvents are propylene glycol and isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Propylene glycol is probably run between 0.001% and 0.2%. The patent suggests IPA is run anywhere from 0.01% up to 5%.

Since this cleaner can be thought of as being similar to a glass cleaner, the total solids level usually does not exceed 0.1% by weight (glass cleaners are prone to leaving visible streaking above this level). Thus, my best guess at the original D3 Discwasher solution is:

• Sodium Azide = 0.004%
  • Surfactant (most likely Triton X-114) = 0.025%
  • Propylene Glycol = 0.01% to 0.075% (probably closer to the high end)
  • IPA = Won't hurt to run the full 5%
  • Distilled Water = quantity sufficient to add up to 100%

Given that the cause of most dandruff is fungal............................just whack some Head and Shoulders in there!