$40 Record Cleaning Machine at Aust.Post

I cleaned a few records tonight and modified my procedure. Instead of the back and forth method suggested in the instructions I give it four rotations in one direction. It seems to be a upright version of the Discwasher so I reckon this is enough. My records are not visually "dirty" so I guess all I am doing is removing some dust anyway. Pretty happy with it and I reckon it will do for record cleaning.

Edited by crisis
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

44 minutes ago, crisis said:

I have been looking for a plastic rack, like a dish rack or something to leave them to dry in. Not too large. No luck as yet..

I use what I call "manilla folder racks", Officeworks sell them (Wire Vertical File Organiser Small Silver)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

Take a fairly clean record, play it, then clean it with this gadget and play it again.

Besides the cleaniness part, how does the recorf sound before and after...?

I find it removes some of the pops and clicks as long as they arent damage obviously.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, electrotek said:

This is in the latest catalogue again, with same item number and price. Best to ring and check availability before going to a store.

Can you post a link here, as I cannot find it online.

All Good, found it.

http://catalogue.auspost.com.au/offer/home-audio/studebaker-vinyl-record-cleaning-kit/5e1eijxvj.html?source=search&term=Studebaker

Edited by Uncle Seth

25 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I find it a pain in the ass to use. The roller want to come out and you have to put a lot of effort into turning it. This is just putting the fluid on the pads by the way.

Don't you fill the trough with water as well?   That's how my spin clean works.  I imagine that, without any water, it WOULD be hard to turn.

53 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Don't you fill the trough with water as well?   That's how my spin clean works.  I imagine that, without any water, it WOULD be hard to turn.

Funny thing is, when I bought it, it never said anything about filling it up with water. Just apply fluid to the pads. I just use my old Dual for rotation, spray White cleaner first and use a directional brush when turning . After that I spray ironing water on and use another directional brush to spread that while turning. Works really well and no mess.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Funny thing is, when I bought it, it never said anything about filling it up with water. Just apply fluid to the pads. I just use my old Dual for rotation, spray White cleaner first and use a directional brush when turning . After that I spray ironing water on and use another directional brush to spread that while turning. Works really well and no mess.

If you don't mind asking... how do you dry vinyl after spraying ironing water and applying another brushing?

I am getting the feeling they copied Spin Clean but didn't manage to copy the instructions properly.

I just watched this youtube video about it.  It is exactly like the Spinclean, so I can't imagine why you wouldn't put water in it. 

The spinclean instructions tell you to pour the fluid on the brushes.  Here's what they say.     

Fill the SPIN-CLEAN® RECORD WASHER MKII with distilled water to the indicator line on the inner side-walls of the basin. You can use tap water if distilled water is not available.
Pour Washer Fluid MKII directly over the top of the inserted brushes in the wash basin - using the following amounts:

For MKII Record Washer Fluid: use three (3) capfuls from the 4 oz. bottle and one (1) capful from the 8 oz., 16 oz., and 32 oz. bottles.
For MK3 Record Washer Fluid, use one (1) capful from the 4 oz., 8 oz., 16 oz., and 32 oz. bottles.
The Spin-Clean Record Washer Fluid encapsulates the dirt extracted from the record grooves and forces it to the bottom of the basin, preventing it from being re-deposited onto the record. The bright yellow color of the SPIN-CLEAN® Record Washer MKII allows you to easily see the dirt collecting at the bottom when you are done cleaning your albums or singles.

20 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

If you don't mind asking... how do you dry vinyl after spraying ironing water and applying another brushing?

Well, after rotating it in my Spinclean, I let the excess drip back into the machine, then I place the damp album between layers of a folded towel to absorb the free water, then I take it out, place it on top of the towel, and wipe it down with the cloths that are provided with the kit.  It comes up dry and shiny, ready to play.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

The bright yellow color of the SPIN-CLEAN® Record Washer MKII allows you to easily see the dirt collecting at the bottom when you are done cleaning your albums or singles.

This is a point missed by the Studebaker, because it is black.      I really do see the accumulation of dirt in the bottom of the trough.

44 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

The brushes I use are directional and they tends to dry as well.They also pick up the residue. What the ironing water does is dilutes and dissipates the white board cleaner. The record can be marginally wet at the end but this evaporates fairly quickly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I am getting the feeling they copied Spin Clean but didn't manage to copy the instructions properly.

I just watched this youtube video about it.  It is exactly like the Spinclean, so I can't imagine why you wouldn't put water in it. 

The spinclean instructions tell you to pour the fluid on the brushes.  Here's what they say.     

Fill the SPIN-CLEAN® RECORD WASHER MKII with distilled water to the indicator line on the inner side-walls of the basin. You can use tap water if distilled water is not available.
Pour Washer Fluid MKII directly over the top of the inserted brushes in the wash basin - using the following amounts:

For MKII Record Washer Fluid: use three (3) capfuls from the 4 oz. bottle and one (1) capful from the 8 oz., 16 oz., and 32 oz. bottles.
For MK3 Record Washer Fluid, use one (1) capful from the 4 oz., 8 oz., 16 oz., and 32 oz. bottles.
The Spin-Clean Record Washer Fluid encapsulates the dirt extracted from the record grooves and forces it to the bottom of the basin, preventing it from being re-deposited onto the record. The bright yellow color of the SPIN-CLEAN® Record Washer MKII allows you to easily see the dirt collecting at the bottom when you are done cleaning your albums or singles.

I did exactly what that guy did. I'm a dumbass. I think Crisis asked earlier if you put distilled water in it. And I think he did. For sure, you have to. My other way of cleaning works well though. The best way was with the Nitty Gritty 1.5FI that I had a couple of decades ago.

5 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I find it a pain in the ass to use. The roller want to come out and you have to put a lot of effort into turning it. This is just putting the fluid on the pads by the way.

It isn't the easiest thing to use.

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I didn't. Not sure if I was supposed to.

4 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Do not recommend it. I got it yesterday to test and it cleans surface okay but does not clean inside groove at all. After cleaning, it still has as much surface noise as before. 

It seemed to remove some of the things that were causing clicks and pops on my albums. I'm not sure how well it is supposed to work.

3 hours ago, Spider27 said:

It has two cloths but I let mine dry as well after. That's why I would like a rack of some kind.

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I don't apply the fluid the way he did. I lift one pad and lower it as I am squeezing the fluid onto it. Generally do that twice. The record comes out pretty damp after cleaning this way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wimbo said:

. I think Crisis asked earlier if you put distilled water in it. And I think he did.

Nah I didn't. I did what they said to do. I am reasonably happy with it considering how much it costs. It cleans. I'm not sure how well in comparison to the legit versions though.