Sign in to follow this  
audiofeline

$40 Record Cleaning Machine at Aust.Post

Came home tonight to find an Aust.Post catalogue "This Christmas with gifts to surprise" retail cataloge in the letterbox.  Was just about to turf it into the recycle when I noticed they had a $40 Record Cleaning Machine advertised.  Details below.  Looks like a Spin Clean copy. 

I would have bought one, but have just bough a vacuum rcm from a SNA'er.  Would be interested to hear reports on this kit, please post below. 

image.png.e185608c3afa23695b9a3d3e78074f57.png

Just what I was looking for. I did a search right as you posted this. :thumb:

Tried to buy one on line but its not being cooperative. Will pick one up tomorrow in the city.

not sure if the name  "Studebaker" is marketed to appeal to us oldies... 

Well that's a quick,cheap and easy way to get into record cleaning. On the most basic level, a must have.

Okaaaay..........but. ........quality ?

How good is the floculate for  example. 

You get what you pay for obviously,but for someone starting out this could be perfect.

Be mindful that only or mostly the corporate Post Offices carry stock 

And every hipster suburb.

In my humble opinion the Post Office is actually selling this style of basic record cleaner for what they should sell for given how inexpensive these types of cleaners would be to manufacture.

At $40 the Post Office version makes the similar $140 Spin Clean version look way to expensive, which in fact it always was.

Still I bet if someone marketed a similar design spin clean version but said it had rare high altitude albino virgin Yak fur infused brushes some in this hobby would be mug enough to pay $500 for one. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Gee, cheaper than a new record :thumb:

I'm going in to buy one.

I use a white board cleaner and distilled water plus two (One way) clothes brushes to clean my LP's. I use a Dual CS505 mk2 to revolve the records. I'll see if I can incorporate this cleaner into the system. 

Guest ctmar0

A quick google search has mixed reviews on Amazon.com. 

I just bought one online, free postage.
We will see. For $40 cant really go wrong.

Ok, just got it home. Its not a cheap SpinClean. It reminds me of another version of The Discwasher system which uses a Directional pad and fluid, except you turn the record in the Vertical, not the horizontal plane.

Ok, apparently you can add distilled water to it.

So,I might have to change my comments. We will see.

Edited by Wimbo

17 hours ago, Full Range said:

Be mindful that only or mostly the corporate Post Offices carry stock 

Yes very annoying. I went into a PO in the city and they told me they were a business outlet and didn't carry them. I should be able to pick one up on the way home.

I used to use a Discwasher but I had to engage the use of a old turntable to spin the record on . This looks far more convenient.

Wimbo , distilled water is the way to go?

1 hour ago, crisis said:

Yes very annoying. I went into a PO in the city and they told me they were a business outlet and didn't carry them. I should be able to pick one up on the way home.

I used to use a Discwasher but I had to engage the use of a old turntable to spin the record on . This looks far more convenient.

Wimbo , distilled water is the way to go?

Yeah, I read somewhere else that you can use distilled water in it as well as wetting the pads with the cleaner supplied. I'd only recommend this if you are a cleaning a few records as you should empty the unit after use. I'm gonna try it this arvo on an old Louie Armstrong album.

I'll post how well it cleans.

Ok, if you don't have an old turntable to spin and you only use a Duopad to clean your records then its not bad.

The best way to clean your records as far as I'm concerned is the Nitty Gritty style of cleaning that is automated and you can wash then vacuum the residue off.

Otherwise, this is ok. I found when I put distilled water in it and pulled the record out after spinning that the record was still wet (Durrr) and I had to rub it dry with a clean rag.

This left the record surface smeared. (Not good). I got my Dual out again put the record on it, sprayed it with some Ironing water,(Coles Lily and Orchid:huh:) and cleaned it by rotation with my directional Clothes brush while spinning. The end result was that there was more noise during the tracks, then between them. (Old Louie Armstrong Album that was filthy and the cover was totally apart.) It sells for $60 U.S. on Ebay, so its worth giving a burl.

Ok, if you don't have an old turntable to spin and you only use a Duopad to clean your records then its not bad.
The best way to clean your records as far as I'm concerned is the Nitty Gritty style of cleaning that is automated and you can wash then vacuum the residue off.
Otherwise, this is ok. I found when I put distilled water in it and pulled the record out after spinning that the record was still wet (Durrr) and I had to rub it dry with a clean rag.
This left the record surface smeared. (Not good). I got my Dual out again put the record on it, sprayed it with some Ironing water,(Coles Lily and Orchid:huh:) and cleaned it by rotation with my directional Clothes brush while spinning. The end result was that there was more noise during the tracks, then between them. (Old Louie Armstrong Album that was filthy and the cover was totally apart.) It sells for $60 U.S. on Ebay, so its worth giving a burl.
Ok ordered one to go with my lo fi TT ...will report back when it arrives....maybe an unboxing video
Then a how to use video, a review video and a long term use video ...but all at once[emoji12]

16 minutes ago, Toyboyo said:

Ok ordered one to go with my lo fi TT ...will report back when it arrives....maybe an unboxing video
Then a how to use video, a review video and a long term use video ...but all at onceemoji12.png

Bugga making videos.

Got one on the way home and gave it a go. I actually applied a few drops to each pad only and then did the three rotations each way thing. Wiped it with the cloth provided and it was dry. I'm not certain you need to soak the record in the solution (although the instructions arent clear). Mine looked clean and played fine. Good enough for $40.

Starts with an 'S'.................just like Spinclean!

Bought a Spin Clean months ago and haven't even used it yet. Lookin' back in time I would've bought this and mixed my own record cleaner fluid, then pocket the savings for some 180g platters.

To everyone else who's on the edge for a Spin Clean, this pack comes with everything the Spin Clean does, other than the yellow paint job. I'd say go for it.

always had the impression the spin clean was to expensive for what it is

this may well be worth checking out

Just got mine, thanks for the tip off @audiofeline

Edited by Grumpy

I bought one this afternoon, they seem pretty well constructed. I may have some issues with the velour pads on mine, they're not entirely flat and where what appears to be maybe glue has permeated through and formed a 'less than velour soft' spot or two which may not be conducive to gentle vinyl contact.....otherwise, pretty good value. PS: I know in the past I have said I will never buy one of these but at that price, why not? I believe Revirginizer will still be my 'pristine clean' go to product.....:)