Does Step-Down Transformer Degrade Sound Quality of Amp?

Hello,

I am thinking to importing an amp either Japan or USA but their voltage is 110/120v so may need step-down transformer to use it. Has anyone has been used imported amp and using it with Step-Down Transformer? If so, could you please share your experience and if it does degrade sound quality or reduce life-span of the product?

I guess that it is the best if it can be changed the voltage cap so no step-down transformer is necessary but not sure if it is even possible.....

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

You will have to make sure that any transformer you use is rated for the amps the amplifier uses, it won't cope (and could be dangerous) if your amp draws more current than the transformer can supply.  And I believe that it is best to have a higher amps rating on your transformer than the amps specified on your amplifier. 

I also believe that "switch-mode" transformers (popular for computer equipment and cheaper) is unsuitable for HiFi use.

I'm not an expert on this, so more knowledgeable members may be able elaborate. 

• Like 1

An utter waste withduplicated power supplies. Amps are largely in bulk power supplies so seems Shame to duplicate. So also not always good to have a large step down in mix with the potential hum and interference can introduce.

• Like 1

As long as the transformer has the required VA capability, I don't see a problem. They are generally mounted inside a metal box, or if not, can be. And as long as proper earthing to the enclosure, I can't see any reason for any hum or interference that won't be handled by the power supply in the amp.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, :) al said:

An utter waste withduplicated power supplies. Amps are largely in bulk power supplies so seems Shame to duplicate. So also not always good to have a large step down in mix with the potential hum and interference can introduce.

Thank you. Is there any way that I can avoid using stepdown transformer? I am not sure how amp transformer is constructed so if it is even possible to replace transformer inside to meet AU voltage standard.

45 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

As long as the transformer has the required VA capability, I don't see a problem. They are generally mounted inside a metal box, or if not, can be. And as long as proper earthing to the enclosure, I can't see any reason for any hum or interference that won't be handled by the power supply in the amp.

Thank you very much for the info. If the amp has following spec, 120VAC/60Hz/215VA for instance, what kind of step-down transformer would I need? I only used step-down transformer for imported refrigerator so not sure which one to get for audio gear. Again, thank you...

17 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you. Is there any way that I can avoid using stepdown transformer? I am not sure how amp transformer is constructed so if it is even possible to replace transformer inside to meet AU voltage standard.

some come with internally adjustable. as many makers use "world power supplies" i.e. same regardless of destination but using different taps off for instance .

without knowing the specific brand model its hard to say, if can quote others might be able to pipe in.

some amps no choice but to replace internally. others your best just buying the local version.

even small step downs can be nasty for systems in my opinion. one little once i got of a disc player caused no end of grief with hum introduced and found no way to get rid off bar getting rid of the player ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, :) al said:

some come with internally adjustable. as many makers use "world power supplies" i.e. same regardless of destination but using different taps off for instance .

without knowing the specific brand model its hard to say, if can quote others might be able to pipe in.

some amps no choice but to replace internally. others your best just buying the local version.

even small step downs can be nasty for systems in my opinion. one little once i got of a disc player caused no end of grief with hum introduced and found no way to get rid off bar getting rid of the player ! 

Thank you so much... How about Bryston B60R Inte amp? I see used ones occassionally pop up now and then on eBay USA and it is one of few i am eyeing on... 

6 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you so much... How about Bryston B60R Inte amp? I see used ones occassionally pop up now and then on eBay USA and it is one of few i am eyeing on... 

no idea if convertible, but be surprised if couldnt buy similar or better even if not same brand locally. we have amazing bargains in the classifieds :) let alone local retailers clearing, trade ins etc..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, :) al said:

no idea if convertible, but be surprised if couldnt buy similar or better even if not same brand locally. we have amazing bargains in the classifieds :) let alone local retailers clearing, trade ins etc..

Yes, it makes sense. :) 

3 minutes ago, TD19 said:

I use a step-down with my ex-Japan Sun SV-2A3 amp. Toei Henseki tx 220-240V/100VA -> 100V. Never had any reason to think that it degrades the sound ...

I suggest the only way to tell whether it is degrading the sound - or not - is to be able to listen to the amp without the step-down in place ... which is clearly impossible (unless you change the amp's power transformer to a 240v model)!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 2

I did some reading and found that most of amps after 1998 uses "world power supplies" and need to change the fuse and rewire to 240/220v cap.  Does anyone know any company or person who does this in Melbourne by any chance?

9 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

I did some reading and found that most of amps after 1998 uses "world power supplies" and need to change the fuse and rewire to 240/220v cap.  Does anyone know any company or person who does this in Melbourne by any chance?

most ? no i would say some. need to do specific research on make and models as  Iknow some brands where even varies based on model.

as to who does, check with local authorised repairers/importers and authorised support agent as first port of call.

but again I would say with the wealth of 2nd hand available to us here in this country I personally wouldn't be going jumping through hoops to get something overseas and converted etc quite frankly.

• Like 1

Just now, :) al said:

most ? no i would say some. need to do specific research on make and models as  Iknow some brands where even varies based on model.

as to who does, check with local authorised repairers/importers and authorised support agent as first port of call.

but again I would say with the wealth of 2nd hand available to us here in this country I personally wouldn't be going jumping through hoops to get something overseas and converted etc quite frankly.

Thank you. Great to know. Yes, it is hassle and risk getting audio gears from overseas and rather get local ones.

Just in case there is one that is hard to find locally and cannot resist temptation of trying the amp. :)  Possible hum and noise can be serious issue though.

As far as converting a 110V 60Hz amp to 240V 50Hz, if the device didn't have a multi voltage input as previously mentioned, you'd have to replace all the components in the primary side of the power supply, up to and including the Power Transformer, if in fact it actually uses a transformer and not a switch mode supply like some equipment does. In the case of the Bryston B60, it has dual power supplies, so depending how that is implemented, there's a lot more work involved. https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/597bryston/index.html looking at the manual for the Bryston B60R, it specifies different fuses for either 110V or 240V models, so you have to deduce it doesn't have a multi voltage capable supply input. Unless you were buying one new, and a 240V model, it seems to be a bit pointless trying to convert one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Hello,

I am thinking to importing an amp either Japan or USA but their voltage is 110/120v so may need step-down transformer to use it.

There are several issues to be concerned about. Most linear power supply products from Japan employ a 100VAC, 60Hz transformer and from the US, the power supply is 117VAC, 60Hz. For Japanese products, you should use a 100VAC step-down transformer. You should not use a 117VAC one. In Australia, we use 50Hz, so, under some circumstances you may experience some small problems (noisy or hot power transformers), regardless of the step-down transformer used. 

Has anyone has been used imported amp and using it with Step-Down Transformer? If so, could you please share your experience and if it does degrade sound quality or reduce life-span of the product?

Provided you stick to the correct Voltage (100VAC for Japan and 117VAC for the US), you should be OK. Oh, and you MUST ensure that the VA rating of the step-down transformer is greater than the VA rating of the device. 

I guess that it is the best if it can be changed the voltage cap so no step-down transformer is necessary but not sure if it is even possible.....

It is possible, but for older products, Voltage adjustments are not usually possible from Japan and the US. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Do your homework and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

It is possible, but for older products, Voltage adjustments are not usually possible from Japan and the US. 

1970s and 80s Yamaha often have a universal power supply. They appear to use the same part number and produce at least 3 models each time. Hardwired for US, Hardwired for Japan and Universal with a switch. 

I converted a CA1000 myself. I've checked out a few other service manuals and recently the AX2000 to confirm it's possible in other models.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

1970s and 80s Yamaha often have a universal power supply. They appear to use the same part number and produce at least 3 models each time. Hardwired for US, Hardwired for Japan and Universal with a switch. 

I converted a CA1000 myself. I've checked out a few other service manuals and recently the AX2000 to confirm it's possible in other models.

Yep, you can be lucky. The US/Canadian model of the CA1000 cannot be operated on 230/240VAC. 

6 hours ago, andyr said:

I suggest the only way to tell whether it is degrading the sound - or not - is to be able to listen to the amp without the step-down in place ... which is clearly impossible (unless you change the amp's power transformer to a 240v model)!  :lol:

Andy

I had a Yammy AVR which I hauled back from the States, sold it later on and got a local unit.

There is some hum.. and a bigger hum from the 2000W transformer I bought. But when I am enjoying my movies, I don't really notice it. I guess for critical listening, it may matter?

So perhaps transformers are 'hum'ful  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also remember from somewhere that if you buy a 60hz amp and it has DSP chipsets or control chipsets that are designed to run 60hz, you will have problems running 50hz.

Shouldn’t be an issue given these are powered from the DC rails ? I would think so anyway
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Wimbo said:

60hz amp and it has DSP chipsets or control chipsets that are designed to run 60hz, you will have problems running 50hz.

You'll find that any "chipsets" in the Bryston B60R amp are running off fully regulated dc supplies, so 50hz or 60hz won't be a factor.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

You'll find that any "chipsets" in the amp are running off fully regulated dc supplies, so 50hz or 60hz won't be a factor.

Cheers George

Fair enough. I remember Krell had a problem with this, though my memory is vague in regards to it.

5 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Fair enough. I remember Krell had a problem with this, though my memory is vague in regards to it.

Different issue entirely. Digital TV standards are completely different to the old, analogue ones. They are more or less universal. What you are thinking of is that some modern Krells, Mark Levinsons and other expensive products employ a microprocessor which is programmed to allow operation of the product in one market only. For instance: A preamp sold in (say) the US, where 117VAC, 60Hz is the standard, will not operate in Australia, even if a step-down transformer is employed, because the CPU senses not only the mains Voltage, but also the mains frequency (50Hz in Australia).