NBN HFC setup question

15 hours ago, :) al said:

amazingly come back from interstate this evening and on way home wife texts me we have phone and internet now working... only 4 days post installation .... and mostly being without either the entire time.

Road outside my house still hasn't been dug up yet......  :logik:

I wonder when I'll get a text asking me to rate my service...... ?

5 hours ago, Martykt said:

Road outside my house still hasn't been dug up yet......  :logik:

I wonder when I'll get a text asking me to rate my service...... ?

Forget rating the service....

here you go mate, all you need is to check whether optus 4G covers your area.  :tongue:

https://ovo.com.au/products/broadband/plans/large?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUiuYn9cALz22FkX66HhdFhSSE1kK1M2m0FP9gORYQqVMof90zpqemYxoCB2MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI7S78Ts5dcCFcYIvAodUcgNcg

Nine of this BS about not connected for days on end.....

and by 2020 the 5G will make you go "pff...." to the nbn....:hyper:

• Like 2

Well continuing my saga with the NBN in the hope that one day they might dig up the road and fix the damage they did to the phone conduit so I can get connected to the NBN........

Today I received a letter........ :emot-bang:

DCF2AB1C-60FC-42DD-A640-CB8156E3BFD6.thumb.jpeg.c7eb8ac3290b02077b5b77bbea4027ec.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Looks like NBN knew about the HFC problems last year but chose not to do anything!

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/12/the-inside-story-behind-nbns-hfc-delay/

nbn tech lady i spoke to when getting my connection said they had been clear the problems with 20+ year old copper in the mix. and said to me no guarantees. seems to be working fine now since the initial high jinx but not sure what will be like as more people in my suburb come on line. 

1 hour ago, :) al said:

nbn tech lady i spoke to when getting my connection said they had been clear the problems with 20+ year old copper in the mix. and said to me no guarantees. seems to be working fine now since the initial high jinx but not sure what will be like as more people in my suburb come on line. 

I wonder how they'll go with 50-60 year old copper in the mix...... ?? :D 

• Haha 1

http://www.theage.com.au/business/optus-to-compensate-8700-customers-who-were-misled-about-nbn-speeds-20171211-p4yxle.html

optus to pay 8700 customers not getting what paid for...

...also ordered to check with new customers within 4 weeks of install and remedy in cases where not getting what paid for.

am not getting 100/40 for instance so wonder if that means something will be done to rectify ...

I was having multiple daily dropouts and complete disconnections for hours whenever it rained. I put in a Telstra complaint, and they sent NBN technicians out within 2 days. They re-jigged some connections in the pit out in the street and it has been rock solid since.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2017 at 7:16 PM, Addicted to music said:

Forget rating the service....

here you go mate, all you need is to check whether optus 4G covers your area. :P 

Almost did go with Optus 4G as they had a rather juicy plan over the holidays......

Anyway to continue my saga.....

Mid December I got a text from my service provider asking if I still wanted to continue getting connected to the nbn so gave them a call.....

They spoke to the nbn and they reckoned the issue had been "Resolved" so just needed a appointment with a tech to get service connected.....

You can imagine I was a little bit skeptical as no-one has has actually dug up my road..... soooo....

Gave the nbn a call and somehow managed to speak to someone who was completely useless...... "sure I''ll take the time to fill out a survey..... !!" :D 

The one useful piece of information I managed to stumble on while talking to this ****** was that apparently because MyRepublic didn't happen to ring the nbn within a 30 day period the order was automatically cancelled...... :emot-bang:

So according to the nbn it's all MyRepublics fault that the problem didn't get escalated and resolved with me getting connected..... :frantics:

Oh hang on wait according to the nbn the problem got resolved somehow magically without the road getting dug up at any stage.... ?

The nbn tech appointment came around on Monday and surprise surprise the connection didn't work..... never would have guessed...... :unsure: 

Then comes the silver lining.....

The tech happened to be an old Telstra tech with more training and ability.

He then went outside and mind you not needing to dig up my nature strip and discovered that the real issue wasn't in fact the phone conduit going across the road but a break in the pit over the road and also a simple problem with a connection in the phone port box.

Sooooo big hand to that tech !!! :thumb: 

The result in the end was.... :party 

D725C0A7-4C32-45B4-951E-708CD2186BF1.thumb.jpeg.341d7347179e6214bf8f2594abb2b371.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@Martykt

awesome result mate,  fingered cross it stays that way and no drop outs

I'm very lucky to only be 150 metres from the exchange.

Going off other reports and being FTTN I wasn't what to expect speed-wise, hoping for maybe 60-70 mb/s being close to the node and exchange.

96 mb/s was a complete surprise in a good way !!

Time will tell of course how reliable the connection is and how the speed will fluctuate during peak loads. ?

42 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@Martykt

you know when they were digging up the ground Puting it in, was it A yellow cable?

The reason I'm asking is that at the rental property, the guys in yellow high visable overalls are feeding yellow cable.  Today outside my Main Street that I live off, they are doing the same.

Not completely sure as I wasn't home when they laid the fibre optic cable.

Don't quote me but I believe the stuff I've seen being laid is green.

Edited by Martykt

6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I thought yellow was the 'Goldline' gas pipes..............else it's the pull through snake.

Originally, the fibre was blue but I have seen green stuff going in lately.

Maybe that's HFC?

Found this:

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/videos/nbn-fibre-installed/15673/

this is what I saw yesterday.   But no nbn.co markings on any uniform or vehicles.

according to the nbn web site, I'm supposed to be getting FTTC and the scheduled date is Jan-jul 2019.

4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Found this:

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/videos/nbn-fibre-installed/15673/

this is what I saw yesterday.   But no nbn.co markings on any uniform or vehicles.

according to the nbn web site, I'm supposed to be getting FTTC and the scheduled date is Jan-jul 2019.

Most of the NBN workers don't have NBN markings as they're all subcontractors.

As I said green, if that's the colour you saw then fibre it is !!

You'll know when you're getting close to getting the nbn as you'll suddenly find a heap of nbn pamphlets stuffed in your letter box from different providers !!! :P 

12 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Well...........that's definitely green...........you have to pass the colourblind test to become a PMG Technician, you know!

If they are indeed PMG technicians the likelihood of them even knowing about fibre, would be zero.

Bakelite and copper would be more like it.:lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rantan said:

If they are indeed PMG technicians the likelihood of them even knowing about fibre, would be zero.

Bakelite and copper would be more like it.:lol:

LOL!

The last course I did before I left was the fibre cable joining course!...............but I was involved in the decommissioning of the last Strowger exchange in Sydney..........

• Like 1