NBN HFC setup question

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask the people who has NBN HFC installed at their home.  My area - Chadstone is to be provisioned with HFC soonish (fingers crossed!) from my cr@ppy ADSL2  connection.  I'm currently with Telstra ADSL2, so I'm using their ADSL gateway modem/router (as a modem) and running a third party router (Asus RT88 that was installed by a tech savvy mate) for wifi.

From what I gather it seems that HFC is like high speed cable?  So when my area is provisioned with HFC, NBN will install a HFC point at my home and provide a HFC modem?  If so, then I will have to run 3 units (HFC modem -> Telstra Gateway - Asus Rt88).  Is this correct?

Sincere questions so pardon my ignorance.

Can’t talk personally about Telstra, but Optus are sending me a modem for nbn.

if your Telstra supplied is like the one my dad got from them it’s specific in that has a phone outlet and wireless is very weak in coverage, so be prepared to hook something for your own wireless network if needed

Have HFC. 

Any provider sends you a new modem and then a router from the ISP. Two boxes. 

In my case I have the HFC modem which an NBN operator providers, and that's plugged straight into my own router. The supplied model site in the box it came in.

Unless you need features that are tied to the supplied gateway that are not supported by your rt88 (e.g. if you need it to supply land line phone services), you can ignore the supplied router/gateway, and use the rt88.

first disappointment with regards nbn. they cant even keep to appointment. whats point of having a 4 hour time slot if cant even keep to that one. still dont know when guy is coming today ? people take time off work etc to fit this kind of thing in. 

who are people running this project. seriously as project managers they wouldn't last one day in industry ! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

first disappointment with regards nbn. they cant even keep to appointment. whats point of having a 4 hour time slot if cant even keep to that one. still dont know when guy is coming today ? people take time off work etc to fit this kind of thing in. 

who are people running this project. seriously as project managers they wouldn't last one day in industry ! 

As an IT consultant that has worked across various industries, Telco included... ...they're a special bunch.   Their service SLA's are so bad that its accepted...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katattack74 said:

As an IT consultant that has worked across various industries, Telco included... ...they're a special bunch.   Their service SLA's are so bad that its accepted...

hard to fathom ! my wife is in IT and she works her butt off ! different worlds must be ! 

anyways the guys are done and dusted must have been lucky to be here 10min ! 

popped a hole through the floor to under of house popped cable through terminated to a ground/wall socket. wired to a little box...done they said and are out of here ! 

now left with figuring out plugging in the optus nbn router and how on earth to integrate my billion wireless router into things ????

they do nothing with the phone. am on my own with that they said... ring optus... they are with the nbn. job done welcome to nbn ... see you later .... 

19 minutes ago, :) al said:

anyways the guys are done and dusted must have been lucky to be here 10min ! 

popped a hole through the floor to under of house popped cable through terminated to a ground/wall socket. wired to a little box...done they said and are out of here ! 

now left with figuring out plugging in the optus nbn router and how on earth to integrate my billion wireless router into things ????

they do nothing with the phone. am on my own with that they said... ring optus... they are with the nbn. job done welcome to nbn ... see you later .... 

Great :( ..my area is being provisioned in the coming months...sorry to hear Al.

1 hour ago, katattack74 said:

Great :( ..my area is being provisioned in the coming months...sorry to hear Al.

Well all lights are on but no ones home here !

NBN router has all lights on, optus modem shows connected to internet .... but there is no internet...

Phoned optus... they can’t see my modem :D

hopefully they can fix it 

ok upto speed here :)

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 5.13.40 pm.png

ps already one device not picking up the sagem modems wifi. so what have done is switch off wireless on the sagem poets supplied modem. taken a network cable off the sagem port 1 to feed port 1 on my billion router. and using its wireless. giving result above. anyone see any problem with this arrangement ?

though no idea how to connect to the billion router anymore to set it up. while i can connect to sagem via 192.168.0.1 ip address to adjust its things. can no longer connect to the billion which used to live on 192.168.0.254 ? any ideas from anyone on this with regards bridging ?

1 hour ago, :) al said:

though no idea how to connect to the billion router anymore to set it up. while i can connect to sagem via 192.168.0.1 ip address to adjust its things. can no longer connect to the billion which used to live on 192.168.0.254 ? any ideas from anyone on this with regards bridging ?

You need to switch the Billion over to Bridge mode.  Billions should have an online manual coveriing it. What model Billion?

Give Whirlpool a shot - comprehensive posts re most devices and variuious option.

PS Nice speeds on Optus HFC given the numerous horror stories re them. I left Optus cable for an alternate small provider when HFC NBB becam avaialble and have had no regrets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GRP said:

You need to switch the Billion over to Bridge mode.  Billions should have an online manual coveriing it. What model Billion?

Give Whirlpool a shot - comprehensive posts re most devices and variuious option.

PS Nice speeds on Optus HFC given the numerous horror stories re them. I left Optus cable for an alternate small provider when HFC NBB becam avaialble and have had no regrets

hi GRP its a billion BiPAC-8900AX-2400, got to the manual here

http://au.billion.com/downloads/usermanual/wireless/BiPAC-8900AX-2400-User_Manual.pdf

but problem is cant get to router anymore on its ip address via web browser to play with its settings. can only get to the optus sagem web interface 

however if just plug a lan lead into it port one of the billion it seems to feed the wifi just fine, yeah good speeds so far, 

below is just now, you'd think people would be cranking about now, 

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 7.27.32 pm.png

however quite a possibility am only one on the street sucking off our cable so hence the good speeds. once everyone is on out suspect drop back lot further

good tip on WP re the billion, i'll give a whirl :D

image.png.c184a9339046498c5ab0db7cbd86ed1b.png

I am on Barefoot. I was getting similar download speeds on Optus cable but in the real world large files (5 to 30 GB)  download far quicker on Barefoot NBN by a large margin.

The address of the Billion creates grief. I have a DLink from my prior wireless network with ac wireless sitting hereto replace an old n wireless TP Link wireless point but I have not had the motivation to spend time setting it up. I think the best way is something along the lines of connected to the Billion "off" your network, give it a new IP address and put it in bridge mode. In any event Whirlpool will have the answers or if not someone will reply with the answer if you post.

image.png

Edited by GRP
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, :) al said:

Pulled the billion off as was causing grief !

still no landline ! Will have to call Optus !

We have them working in the street opposite home atm. Pretty glad we have decided to not have a landline post nbn.

have you had a chance to try 4K Netflix? See much improvement over 1080p?

Pulled the billion off as was causing grief !

still no landline ! Will have to call Optus !
Oh dear - al !
Dreading getting it installed here - elderly next door neighbor who doesn't even live there , told me received a letter advising NBN was coming and was going to refuse to accept it.
I on the other hand received nothing in mail yet but not in a hurry! [emoji17]

We have them working in the street opposite home atm. Pretty glad we have decided to not have a landline post nbn.

have you had a chance to try 4K Netflix? See much improvement over 1080p?
No landline for us either when it comes.
Only a portal for harassment nowadays.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, :) al said:

phew think it works... for a while touch go.. one or other. 2 hours on the phone to optus so far. last time was over an hour ! tiring ! 

Big contrast to fibre to the node then plain  old copper mine was Al ; apart from download speed of 17.5Mbps[ still 6x's faster than my adsl2] I just got a NBN modem ; plugged in my edimax switcher and my phone for voip [which replaced my separate landline service ] and everything just worked ;but no dial tone . As I  have a mobile I  left it and in 2 days a phone call happened out of the blue ..

Dodo had activated it themselves ; I was in no hurry :)

• Like 1

cwt, thank fully can report all working as should now ! gosh had to hold the guy on the line when he said phone was working and thank goodness checked the internet at the same time as that wasnt working. took some goes from other end before they got both going.

we need land line due to few services etc we use that require a land line. similarly for us it works as two lines. which is handy work wise too. but yeah otherwise would have been happy to dispense.

good to finally have all sorted.

I would dearly love to add a few more ports some how and extend our wireless network but seems a bit too much to ask at present. anyways we can manage as is so will go with things for now as is. 

• Like 1

Are nbn outages common places.

noticed no internet connection ofcourse figured time to reboot things again ? Which didn’t fix things

thought ring Optus ... over 30min wait

chevked online and appears nbn is having an outage