Sign in to follow this  
shogo33

NBN HFC setup question

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask the people who has NBN HFC installed at their home.  My area - Chadstone is to be provisioned with HFC soonish (fingers crossed!) from my [email protected] ADSL2  connection.  I'm currently with Telstra ADSL2, so I'm using their ADSL gateway modem/router (as a modem) and running a third party router (Asus RT88 that was installed by a tech savvy mate) for wifi.

From what I gather it seems that HFC is like high speed cable?  So when my area is provisioned with HFC, NBN will install a HFC point at my home and provide a HFC modem?  If so, then I will have to run 3 units (HFC modem -> Telstra Gateway - Asus Rt88).  Is this correct?

Sincere questions so pardon my ignorance.

Can’t talk personally about Telstra, but Optus are sending me a modem for nbn.

if your Telstra supplied is like the one my dad got from them it’s specific in that has a phone outlet and wireless is very weak in coverage, so be prepared to hook something for your own wireless network if needed

Have HFC. 

Any provider sends you a new modem and then a router from the ISP. Two boxes. 

In my case I have the HFC modem which an NBN operator providers, and that's plugged straight into my own router. The supplied model site in the box it came in.

Unless you need features that are tied to the supplied gateway that are not supported by your rt88 (e.g. if you need it to supply land line phone services), you can ignore the supplied router/gateway, and use the rt88.

1 hour ago, Noum said:

The NBN modem replaces your ADSL modem.

That's right............then you can still use your Asus RT88 if you want.