Audio Music 833M mono blocks

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Hensa said:

George was pointing out that the monos are the AM 833M's rather than AM 883M's as per the thread title - I don't think there is an AM 883M.

George is very picky about not getting '8s' and '3s' mixed up but is completely fine about showing graphs from a different amp ?!??!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, off to a bad start with my incorrect labelling and then @Zaphod Beeblebrox hinting that I am insane and @georgehifi has shown me those squiggly things that measurement people tend to put up on here. I have no idea what they mean.

Actually, thinking back to the back deck quote, maybe I am insane, I should just do that. :D

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

OK, off to a bad start with my incorrect labelling and then @Zaphod Beeblebrox hinting that I am insane and @georgehifi has shown me those squiggly things that measurement people tend to put up on here. I have no idea what they mean.

Actually, thinking back to the back deck quote, maybe I am insane, I should just do that. :D

Plus Daz I can get you a much nicer toob amp than the $500k Wavac for less than half that at $240k...... :D 

• Haha 1

On 16/11/2017 at 10:29 AM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

George is very picky about not getting '8s' and '3s' mixed up but is completely fine about showing graphs from a different amp ?!??!

It's still an 833 single ended using an inter-stage transformer and maybe the  "squiggly things" may even look worse than the Wavac's , as Wavac would have spent no expense on their output transformer. Which ever it's going to be a tone control, far from flat into a normal speaker load. 

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'
21 hours ago, georgehifi said:

It's still an 833 single ended using an inter-stage transformer and maybe the  "squiggly things" may even look worse than the Wavac's , as Wavac would have spent no expense on their output transformer. Which ever it's going to be a tone control, far from flat into a normal speaker load. 

Cheers George 

Or better?

You seem to air on the negative view with what I highlighted, or is how it appears.

Edit: if you are coming from a purely academic/technical view point, without the human preference factor, then disregard my post regardless of the answer :)

Edited by Muon N'

36 minutes ago, Noum said:

Or better?

Extremely doubtful.

36 minutes ago, Noum said:

You seem to air on the negative view with what I highlighted, or is how it appears.

You just have to look any any SE transmission tube amp running into a simulated speaker load, and you will see. Just search them on Stereophile and look at their measured performance graph into said simulated loud speaker loads. Sure they all look glamorous, but act like tone controls, if your into that type of "coloured" sound.

Cheers George

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Extremely doubtful.

You just have to look any any SE transmission tube amp running into a simulated speaker load, and you will see. Just search them on Stereophile and look at their measured performance graph into said simulated loud speaker loads. Sure they all look glamorous, but act like tone controls, if your into that type of "coloured" sound.

Cheers George

Yes I am into coloured sound :)

Real instruments are coloured and I sometimes like those too :thumb:

Yes I am into coloured sound [emoji4]

Real instruments are coloured and I sometimes like those too :thumb:
If you want those real instruments to sound like real instruments, then you *won't* want to replay them through a coloured amp/speaker combination. [emoji16]

Guest Muon N'
8 minutes ago, Newman said:

If you want those real instruments to sound like real instruments, then you *won't* want to replay them through a coloured amp/speaker combination. emoji16.png

That's funny :)

I have heard the 833S many times at the past Melbourne Audio Club.

George is correct;  but when you listen to it, the supernatural presence of the sound overrides any misgivings you might have about the FR anomalies.

They are touted as 125W, but they are knock offs of the Japanese 100W WAVAC which first light of day (you can read a newspaper off the glow of the output tube!) 15 years ago for $USD350k.  The owner of the company is a road building tycoon in Japanese, and he threw everything at the design and execution.  The Chinese version is almost as nice to look at but is almost two orders of magnitude cheaper.  It also runs at 900V B+, about 300V less than the Japanese original.

I really like this amp in David's setup.  Not so convinced about the Monuments, but they are imposing and beautifully made.  The sound is wonderful, very engaging and musical.

Nothing transfers emotion like a single ended tube, cheap, expensive or middle cost.  I have a 6EM7 spud SET which I find is a reference.

Hugh

Edited by Aspen
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

You really are a true gent Hugh, making those positive comments about a valve amp when your domain is solid state. :thumb: 

Not all SET amps sound inaccurate, depends on the circuit execution. I used a pair of Supratek Merlot monoblocs with 6C33 tube @ $9K for several years. It sounded very clean and pristine on the right speaker. Alas, I moved it on as I could not find an accurate speaker that went loud enough with the 10w/ch available from the amps.

Cheers,

Steve.

• Like 2

Guest Muon N'
Just now, rocky500 said:

Could be handy to have with the current state of world affairs. At least you can keep playing your tunes.

Petrol generator for power source? Would need tube rectification also i guess.

Oh! and a bunker :lol:

Reading about it again in that link, I love reading about these non hifi uses of tubes.

Oops, sorry way off topic, back to that devilish coloured tube :)

2 hours ago, AKSA said:

I have heard the 833S many times at the past Melbourne Audio Club.

George is correct;  but when you listen to it, the supernatural presence of the sound overrides any misgivings you might have about the FR anomalies.

They are touted as 125W, but they are knock offs of the Japanese 100W WAVAC which first light of day (you can read a newspaper off the glow of the output tube!) 15 years ago for $USD350k.  The owner of the company is a road building tycoon in Japanese, and he threw everything at the design and execution.  The Chinese version is almost as nice to look at but is almost two orders of magnitude cheaper.  It also runs at 900V B+, about 300V less than the Japanese original.

I really like this amp in David's setup.  Not so convinced about the Monuments, but they are imposing and beautifully made.  The sound is wonderful, very engaging and musical.

Nothing transfers emotion like a single ended tube, cheap, expensive or middle cost.  I have a 6EM7 spud SET which I find is a reference.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, another opinion from someone who has heard them. I know that I enjoyed the sound coming from Gregs room at the show (Osborn) and it was the AM 833 mono's powering his speakers. Obviously I was listening to more than just the amps in isolation but I do know the music really engaged with me. I tend to go more off my emotional 'measurements'  done through me ears when it comes to music than microphone/computer measurements etc. Not disrespecting either approach, that's just my logic, for me, myself and I. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noum said:

Petrol generator for power source? Would need tube rectification also i guess.

Oh! and a bunker :lol:

Reading about it again in that link, I love reading about these non hifi uses of tubes.

Oops, sorry way off topic, back to that devilish coloured tube :)

I liked your earlier comment- devil tubes, haha!

Guest Muon N'
2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I liked your earlier comment- devil tubes, haha!

Ha!

I glanced at ya' Av when you made this thread and looked at the tube, made perfect sense at the time :lol:

1 hour ago, Noum said:

Ha!

I glanced at ya' Av when you made this thread and looked at the tube, made perfect sense at the time :lol:

See, if I did that then I would have said that Rudolf needs one of these tubes for his nose...

• Like 1

I am of the opinion (based on years of use and purchase) that valve amps need not be coloured, and I bet you those AM-833 amps sound good. At the end of the day I require top-notch clarity from my systems and have always sought clean sounding valve amps. Another example of a good valve amp is the big Mingda MC845-300B monos @ $7K, 38kg each monobloc and 100w/ch that I owned and used for a few years after the Supratek Merlot SET amps left the house. I selected the Mingda amps because they were a push-pull Class A design which sounded powerful and pristine and, took off from where the Supratek was in terms of clarity and grace, but with much better power delivery.

The Mingdas were end game amps for me - they were that good. However, I sold those too as the high voltage and power consumption of an 845 tube design and all the heat they threw out into the room in summer, sat uneasily in my mind. Sound wise, they were almost perfect and sounded distortionless and clean, again I would qualify into the right loudspeaker of course.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M