Audio Music 833M mono blocks

I knew I shouldn't have went, like my other (non SNA) mate that refused to come. Just in case you see or hear something that cant be unseen or unheard.

But since seeing and hearing these, I canna stop thinking about them. Am sure Greg motherous speakers were helping a lot but I suspect these amps are a tad more detailed than most valve setups. I am not a valve type, usually preferring solid state, but I do like these.

Anyone own any? They tick my boxes (XLR input, decent output watts etc).

http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/

833m3.thumb.jpg.1c38fd5816c29079486da999132b75d8.jpg

833m7.thumb.jpg.26c2276fea68abaab7954321de84f68a.jpg

Edited by Darren69

I knew I shouldn't have went, like my other (non SNA) mate that refused to come. Just in case you see or hear something that cant be unseen or unheard.

But since seeing and hearing these, I canna stop thinking about them. Am sure Greg motherous speakers were helping a lot but I suspect these amps are a tad more detailed than most valve setups. I am not a valve type, usually preferring solid state, but I do like these.

Oh - damn it's not a pair FS 2nd hand! [emoji17]
Has a few good valve jobs doesn't he?
The AM 833S mono's are reference quality as have heard a fair few times at a members place with the Osborn Grand Monument reference.
Hard to come back once seduced by the warm glow too - I know! [emoji53]
  • Like 2

These were high on my list too after selling the Jeff Rowland but in the end I realised I literally had no space to put them, was worried about the heat issue during the warmer months (400w constant per mono) and also the fact I simply didn't have the money to drop unfortunately.

Nice avatar btw Daz.

• Like 1

I have been eyeing their little brothers/sisters for a while. Can't afford it though. It may be that if you are that interested that they might do the trick. AFAIK they are now his best seller.

I did not go to the show, why?: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/three+monkeys.  What I don't see or hear can't bother me :) !

Anyway, if you are interested - why don't you contact Greg and ask him where you can have further listening at someone who has bought them that is closer to Melbourne?

(Greg does accept Credit Cards :sorry: )

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jventer said:

I have been eyeing their little brothers/sisters for a while. Can't afford it though. It may be that if you are that interested that they might do the trick. AFAIK they are now his best seller.

I did not go to the show, why?: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/three+monkeys.  What I don't see or hear can't bother me :) !

Anyway, if you are interested - why don't you contact Greg and ask him where you can have further listening at someone who has bought them that is closer to Melbourne?

(Greg does accept Credit Cards :sorry: )

Council has pinged my septic system, estimates of 15 to 17k are floating around, I have a 40k quote for the back deck and 5-7k quote to fix the driveway.

I haven't even gone near the bathroom or kitchen refurbs.

You are an evil man. :D

Meh, we've never seen Armaguard following a hearse have we?

Come around on the weekend and hear the ML5's. Bernard Fanning sounds bloody beautiful right now.

Edited by Darren69

To reduce the fever - you listened to the Osborn Momentums - there is a reviewer or two that reckons it is the "best speaker" ever.

A bit of a ramble:

I have Osborn speakers and I love them. I am always of the opinion that Osborn speakers are exceptional value for money. The last few years I have experienced so much with Mike Lenehan that I actually want a set of his speakers. There are as always trade off's and in my price range Osborn has better bass, and Lenehan is better IMO on voices and the type of music I listen to.

If you really really have the itch you have to listen with you new speakers.

I can bring my lowly valve amps to help with the itch - ha ha - 28W compared to 120, but maybe at low volumes we can get an idea.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Hilarious....new speakers, newish amp/pre, Valhalla Cables and a favorite front end in the Meridian .....but still not happy .....oh boy you really have the bug :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I have heard the same system as evil. And yes with Gramd Monuments. Yes a big spacious sound.

In the image above they do to have the power conditioners which are the size of two small milk create. 

Edited by mwhouston

If you look at the 833 Wavac, response graph these type of amps can vary their impedance by + -12db from 70hz to 5khz making it a severe tone control, far from the ideal flat into normal speaker loads, could you live with that??? I know I couldn't.

BTW: Forget about loud speaker loads even into pure resistive loads on the test bench are a big problem.

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/704wavac/index.html

Cheers George

WAVacFIG01.jpg

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

If you look at the 833 Wavac, response graph these type of amps can vary their impedance by + -12db from 70hz to 5khz making it a severe tone control, far from the ideal flat into normal speaker loads, could you live with that??? I know I couldn't.

Cheers George

WAVacFIG01.jpg

Thank you George, for bringing some sanity into the discussion. This thing is just an expensive tone control. An Earle Weston amp would make a much better choice. 

• Like 2

I think these were on demo in combination with Osborne Grands at the Oct 2016 Melbourne show. I went to a couple of audition sessions, people were raving about the combo, but I just couldn't get into them, something seemed off. Interesting graph.

57 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

BTW: Forget about loud speaker loads even into pure resistive loads on the test bench are a big problem.

Cheers George

WAVacFIG01.jpg

22 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Thank you George, for bringing some sanity into the discussion. This thing is just an expensive tone control. An Earle Weston amp would make a much better choice. 

How would it be known that the AM 883M has the same frequency response as the Wavac 833? Are they using the same circuits and components? I'm not a tech so am genuinely interested in how showing the response curve of one brand's tube monos tells us what another brand's will be.

Just now, Hensa said:

How would it be known that the AM 883M has the same frequency response as the Wavac 833? Are they using the same circuits and components? I'm not a tech so am genuinely interested in how showing the response curve of one brand's tube monos tells us what another brand's will be.

You make an excellent point. I didn't notice that they are different amps. Of course, they may have different response graphs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Of course, they may have different response graphs. 

Maybe so, but I'll bet my bottom dollar they will be far from flat also, just the curve on the graph maybe will be  will different.

I'll also bet my bottom dollar there are no simulated speaker graphs done on this, unless Stereophile can get a hold of one.

Cheers George   

30 minutes ago, Hensa said:

AM 883M

BTW: The model is AM833M let's just get this right for starters.

Pics

1: This is the Wavac 833 bottom of the line it's built off.

2: Then grand daddy 8 box 833 reference at 1/2 million dollars

3: The one in between if you haven't got the bucks for grand daddy. 

Cheers George

HE-833v2.jpg

Wavac-SH833-W720-001-W720-002-front1_wm.jpg

HE-833MK2.jpg

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Oops, I was just going by the thread title.:)

Happy to talk about any of them as one never stops learning but yes, I started talking about the M versions.

The S version has the big mutha power supplies as mwhouston is describing.

M versions are, as advertised on Gregs site-

$12650, 'ultimate silver version' $14850 (not sure what that version entails).

S versions are a big jump up at-

$18550, 'ultimate silver version' $21550 (not sure what that version entails).

8 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Happy to talk about any of them as one never stops learning but yes, I started talking about the M versions.

George was pointing out that the monos are the AM 833M's rather than AM 883M's as per the thread title - I don't think there is an AM 883M.

Edited by Hensa

It is a Singe Ended Triode.That sort of frequency response is pretty typical for the breed and with many speaker loads will be worse.Especially ones which do not use any negative feedback.

Some speakers are quite compatible with these sorts of amps however .Vintage Tannoys for example and indeed they tend to sound best with SETs.

We also need to bear in mind that how most speakers measure in most rooms will be a long way off a flat frequency response anyway.

This might mean gathering together a lot of wrongs to make a right but I have heard SETs sounding very good in the right system and many people seem to love their sound.

The bottom line is if you are going to use these sorts of amplifiers you need speakers that are electrically compatible.And they do exist.Audionote for example but it would appear that some of the Osborn speakers may also fit into this type.

Edited by THOMO

38 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

It's 833 not 883 just to nitpick !!! :P 

Yes S versions us a separate power supply.

The standard versions use copper wiring and transformers.

'Silver' versions silver wiring with copper transformers

and......

'Ultima Silver' versions (which according to the AM website are only available with the S) have silver wiring and silver transformers.

That's the one you ideally want !!! :D 

• Like 3