Need room acoustics and speaker advice

Hi guys,
My names Al, I'm a 27 year old audio nut from Australia

I need some advice from people with experience.
I was a headphone guy because we lived in a small apartment and it was just easier. We bought a house and now am looking to create a dedicated space for listening.

I have good source equipment: Lynx AES16e Source/SFT-1>Sfd-1 mkii DAC/Forsell Air Reference DAC and Eddie Current Studio SET 6w 2a3 amplifier
My Budget is around 40k AUD without speakers
Budget for speakers is around 20k AUD

So here is the space.
[IMG]

6 metres by 4 metres by 2.25 metres

For potential resale we would want this to be functional as a 4th bedroom so we would need windows on both ends, these we can cover up while it is used as a listening room/ home theatre

I've talked to a few builders and will talk to a few more, but what we are thinking so far:

disconnect wall frames and pack with sound bats to minimise vibration
Double gyp-rock all walls and roof
going for a vinyl floor over ply with bats underneath and a second floating floor - rest of house is hard wood floors, builder was not so keen on using hard wood here for some reason - will put carpet down in front of the speakers
triple pane glass windows cover by a thick rubber mat and diffuser
solid wood door with rubber seals
I will then use room treatment to try compensate for early reflections.
Keep symmetry in room as much as possible
air conditioning

Dreaming of something like this:

[IMG]

Issue: upstairs deck can allow rain into the area where the chairs are, would need to put some sort of under deck water proofing in..
slight slope in ceiling for drainage, this may be beneficial for acoustics from what I read?

So I'm looking for tips, as in what NOT to do type stuff and what to try and accomplish with basic room design.. Keeping in mind this is just my first home, I just want a better than average room, this is not a budget no concern room, I'll do that one when I'm a little older and richer.

Speaker wise.

I have been on a bit of a quest this year traveling to Japan, Singapore and interstate to find a speaker I can run on my 6w amp that satisfies my desire for super detailed, full, non-fatiguing sound.
The SET amp is very special to me, I have many other far more powerful amps but would like my main system to be high efficiency.
Two systems have stood out to me after hearing hundreds of systems in homes, stores and at shows.
The voxativ ampeggio signature with wooden cones is the best back loaded horn I've ever heard in the mids and highs, it's probably the best speaker I've every heard regardless of efficiency (seems to be very sensitive to room acoustics). However the bass rolls off fairly early and some sort of sub woofer solution would be required
The other was the JBL 4367, I have heard the everest, k2, and numerous other JBL speakers and DIY re works.. The 4367 resonated well with me. It's not as laser precise as the voxativ but definitely resolving enough to live with. At 94dbl, I do not know if my 6w SET is capable of properly driving these..

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Cool project, looks like a great space and always fun to see it come together.

That deck looks fantastic - almost seems a shame to lose it.

In regards to speakers - have a look at the RedSpade Audio PSE-144 point source horn system. The horns can be made in virtually any colour and should match well with your SET amp. Then run the bass boxes with a separate SS class D amp. The speakers can be run active or passive crossover.

• Like 1

This deck is rarely used - mainly used for hanging washing... We have another 50m2 deck above this with a better view and much better for entertaining. I'll make sure there are large windows on either end of the room so we can see the gardens but will cover them up while the room is used as a listening room.

I have been interested in Red spade but have not had a chance to audition and they didn't have a presence at the audio show. Or internationally where i do most of my auditions.

Edited by Xecuter

Perhaps @Paul Spencer could help with an audition.

I ended up with the PSE-144 system after flirting with those JBL speakers and also some lower end Avantgardes.

I have heard the Redefy range driven by SET amps as well, another consideration.

@Red Spade Audio

Edited by AudioGeek
Wrong linked username
  • Like 2