The Spider

Anyone with a power amp in S.E suburbs of Melbourne

Hi folks!

Bought some Spendor D7 and am currently running them with my Rega Elex-R amp (72w into 8ohm). Whilst getting cables and such I've had a few salespeople indicate the amp is under-powered for the speakers (despite Spendor saying 25-200w) so a power amp (the Rega integrated has pre-out functions) may be the solution....except I don't really know if I have a problem (can't really tell how the speakers are performing at their maximum!).

If anyone had a power amp that we could borrow for a listening session, say 30 minutes, bring a few tracks along, have a coffee...would be educational!

Thank you

Spider

Glen Iris

I would love to help, i'm even in the next suburb. Unfortunately I will be overseas until mid December. If you can wait that long, drop me a PM. 

7 hours ago, Keith_W said:

I would love to help, i'm even in the next suburb. Unfortunately I will be overseas until mid December. If you can wait that long, drop me a PM. 

No problem! The speakers sound good to me so time isn’t an issue....I’ll just keep buying great music with the 💰.

thank you very much!

23 hours ago, The Spider said:

Hi folks!

Bought some Spendor D7 and am currently running them with my Rega Elex-R amp (72w into 8ohm). Whilst getting cables and such I've had a few salespeople indicate the amp is under-powered for the speakers (despite Spendor saying 25-200w) so a power amp (the Rega integrated has pre-out functions) may be the solution....except I don't really know if I have a problem (can't really tell how the speakers are performing at their maximum!).

If anyone had a power amp that we could borrow for a listening session, say 30 minutes, bring a few tracks along, have a coffee...would be educational!

Thank you

Spider

Glen Iris

Pm me, am not that far from you. See I can be any assistance.

@The Spider there is a 100w arcam alpha 10 is the classified at the moment pretty cheap.

I would think that the Elex-R would be powerful enough as the D7 is 8ohm/90db. Maybe the sales person wanted you to purchase something else from them?

[mention=160591]The Spider[/mention] there is a 100w arcam alpha 10 is the classified at the moment pretty cheap.

I would think that the Elex-R would be powerful enough as the D7 is 8ohm/90db. Maybe the sales person wanted you to purchase something else from them?
Indeed there is!
However at 72w per channel his Rega should be enough power for his speakers.
Mine at 100w would only offer minimal higher output volume.

definitely explained that I don't listen at loud volumes, @Teksiis would you agree, moderate (or low?). so no mention of volume has been made by all 3 of these salespeople. They look at some frequency graph and then note that the drivers drop down into 3ohms in the spectrum....no idea where the chart is etc. perhaps I go back into  the store, ask to see the chart and have it explained to me.

Speaker data is available at:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-d7-loudspeaker-measurements

But I have no idea what I'm looking at there!

2 hours ago, The Spider said:

definitely explained that I don't listen at loud volumes, @Teksiis would you agree, moderate (or low?). so no mention of volume has been made by all 3 of these salespeople. They look at some frequency graph and then note that the drivers drop down into 3ohms in the spectrum....no idea where the chart is etc. perhaps I go back into  the store, ask to see the chart and have it explained to me.

I would call it just on the low side of moderate, just about spot on like a good medium rare steak.  

On 16/11/2017 at 5:15 PM, The Spider said:

Is clearly explained "The D7's nominal impedance is specified as 8 ohms, with a minimum magnitude of 4.5 ohms. Fig.1 shows the measured impedance magnitude (solid trace) and electrical phase angle (dotted). The minimum impedance was indeed 4.5 ohms, at 183Hz."

0415-SD7fig1.jpg

@Sirmorebeer OK, so I look at the solid line and the ohms are on the left. so she drops down to 4.5ohms, so then what do I do with the dotted line and how do I work out if the amp can do this...she can do 113w? Thank you for your assistance

• 72.5W 8Ω both channels driven - Design centre rating    
  • 90W 6Ω both channels driven - Rega speaker impedance rating
  • 113W 4Ω both channels driven

Hey Spider. Would love to help you out. I can't bring my power amps around this weekend but I can help out next weekend. I'm running Spendor A9's and I'd love to hear your speakers.

Let me know if you'd like me to bring around my amps. 

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Hey Spider. Would love to help you out. I can't bring my power amps around this weekend but I can help out next weekend. I'm running Spendor A9's and I'd love to hear your speakers.

Let me know if you'd like me to bring around my amps. 

I heard his setup and it was amazing. It must to the trick with Spider’s Spensor too :) 

14 hours ago, The Spider said:

@Sirmorebeer OK, so I look at the solid line and the ohms are on the left. so she drops down to 4.5ohms, so then what do I do with the dotted line and how do I work out if the amp can do this...she can do 113w? Thank you for your assistance

• 72.5W 8Ω both channels driven - Design centre rating    
  • 90W 6Ω both channels driven - Rega speaker impedance rating
  • 113W 4Ω both channels driven

@georgehifi he is fantastic in interpreting the plot above. :) My understanding is minimal, I tend to look at speakers sensitivity. Check out this calculator,

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calculator-amp-speaker-spl/

Topic  on speaker impedance and power,

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/speaker-impedance-matching.html

So, It depends on how big is your room, how far away is your listening possie, what dB you listen to your music, how much headroom in dB, a music track has varying frequency over time and how often does it goes down to the 183Hz region and for how long it stays at that frequency. 

4.5ohm don't present a tough load IMHO. As long you don't turn it up loud with your amp. At 3M away from your speakers and dB levels at 95 plus 6db headroom your are close to your amp limit.

15 hours ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Is clearly explained "The D7's nominal impedance is specified as 8 ohms, with a minimum magnitude of 4.5 ohms. Fig.1 shows the measured impedance magnitude (solid trace) and electrical phase angle (dotted). The minimum impedance was indeed 4.5 ohms, at 183Hz."

0415-SD7fig1.jpg

Actually, maybe even worse will be at 90hz because of the added EPDR of the -phase angle as well, could very well be below 4ohms as seen by the amp.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

@georgehifi Hi George, looking at the graph and the Rega Elex-R stats I've posted above....and I sit 2.5m and low/moderate volumes of Alternative/rock/electronic do you see any issues?

Thank you

36 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Hi George, looking at the graph and the Rega Elex-R stats I've posted above....and I sit 2.5m and low/moderate volumes of Alternative/rock/electronic do you see any issues?

The Rega runs Darlington outputs, I've never been keen on them, but the proof will be bass performance between 90hz---300hz, should try before you buy, also see if Zaphod Beeblebrox  has an ME240 integrated he could lend you.

Cheers George    

Hi, not far from you, have an ME25 and ME550 combo that should drive these with no issue. Watts wise I wouldnt have thought the Rega would be under powered at medium listening levels. If current is required the ME should give you an idea,