yamapro

Seeking Musical AVR $2-$2.5k Budget

Hi All,

It seems the bug has bitten me hard again and after several years living very contentedly with my HT setup I am replacing a lot of it piece by piece :D

I have recently upgraded my PJ to a 1080P model that is 3d ready (so only a few years behind the 8ball now - no 4K for me!) and I'm not too interested in Atmos etc... (7.1 is plenty immersive enough for me).

Currently, I run a Nad T747 AVR which has been great in it's simplicity and 'music first' approach. Coupled to a Rotel  RB1080 power amp it has produced great results for both Stereo listening and HT.

I know that conventional wisdom tells me a 2ch Integrated or Pre with HT bypass is the best way forward BUT I utilise my subs for both HT and Stereo listening and the bass management of an AVR is a godsend.

I send a lot of music from a HDD over Ethernet to a Heos  Link and currently coax out to the AVR which does a good job - esp with HD music.

Unfortunately the NAD is experiencing annoying HDMI handshake issues more frequently now (since i have gone to the Panny PTAE 7000 as a display and Xbox One as source) and so it may be time to bite the bullet and move on up!

With that in mind - and my aim of a 50/50 Music and HT system I am interested in any opinions the following:

Cambridge Audio CXR 120 - $2999rrp; Top end of the budget (assuming a bit of a hagle) but I'll go there if it's worth it.

Seems an obvious choice as it's almost a spiritual successor to my NAD - light on features but quality above quantity...

Curious as to how bass management is implemented and it looks like it may not have pre-outs (which would just be ridiculous!) so may be a deal breaker there!

Denon 3400/4400

I see the 4300 reviewed very well as an all rounder round these parts...

Heos implementation is neat as I already use it.

Not too sure what the differences are beyond the extra amp channels that i don't need... Are their any quality differences in the DAC implementations/Preamp and processing stages? Big price hike so i assume so but keen on any reviews from those in the know.

Also - more than happy to turn up a 3300/4300 if on clearance and they are much the same from a quality point of view.

Does Denon Allow sub bass in Pure direct?

Marantz 6012/7011/7012

Not too sure what the differences are between the 7011 and 7012 as the 12 doesn't seem to be available in Aus... Also curious as to where the extra $$$ go from the 60 to 70 series.

Like Denon - Heos is a plus and historically i have enjoyed the Marantz sound.

What else am I missing? Anthem seem to rate a mention but I don't know where to start...interested in any experiences though. I've not given Yamaha a look in since I ran an RXV 1500 well over a decade ago (moved it on in for a Marantz 7500 which i enjoyed more in in 2ch operation) - are they worth a look?

What else can you recommend as a music first Receiver that does a quality job in 2 ch (when feeding an external amp)?

TIA

Edited by yamapro

24 minutes ago, yamapro said:

What else am I missing? Anthem seem to rate a mention but I don't know where to start...interested in any experiences though. I've not given Yamaha a look in since I ran an RXV 1500 well over a decade ago (moved it on in for a Marantz 7500 which i enjoyed more in in 2ch operation) - are they worth a look?

Have a look at this:

The MRX 720 street price may fit within your budget.  A second hand MRX 710 will be well under your budget, given you do not need Atmos, 4K.   Please post if you have any questions on Anthem, ARC...

Arcam ? Another to explore ?

Yes, Arcam are meant to be highly rated but not sure how easy Dirac is to use!?!

6 hours ago, yamapro said:

I know that conventional wisdom tells me a 2ch Integrated or Pre with HT bypass is the best way forward BUT I utilise my subs for both HT and Stereo listening and the bass management of an AVR is a godsend.

You know AVR is avr sounding,..:yes: Stick with your wisdom i reckon. Not sure what your current full setup is. Grab a good integrated with HT bypass from the classified section and a new AVR such as the Marantz 6011 or 6012? Might be close enough to your budget.

Suggestion:

Btw is integrated has optional DAC module installed. Very decent price.

Edited by Sirmorebeer

Considered a pre pro at all Yamapro ? Hard to conceive of one at this price point but this one below is the replacement for the umc200 I keep as a spare .   Theres a good fit for your criteria in the emo mc700 for 7.2 ; no superfluous atmos.dts x and twin lfe outs for your subs .. Doubtful too if an avr has a balanced lfe out at this price point :) Quite rare 12/24 db xover filter slopes for bass management too.

http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/emotiva mc-700 processor.htm

Have noticed them in a few places but Eastwood seems very reasonable..

Edited by cwt