Bluesound Node 2 - how are people accessing their digital libraries?

Bluesound Node 2 users, I am looking for some advice / help from you.

I recently purchased one of these and am wanting to know how others are accessing their digital libraries with it?

I have a Cocktail Audio X-10 that I have been using for streaming internet radio and laboriously ripped all of my cd’s on to its hard drive.

he Bluesound is to replace the CA in my main system.

I was hoping that the Bluesound would identify the CA X10 on my network and I could just stream my library from it. Apparently it’s possible but I haven’t had success or a great deal of time to achieve this. I have the dongle for the CA -802.11b/g/n WiFi USB dongle – which my PS4 identifies happily (it just can’t stream WAV files).

I went through the manual and followed the lengthy steps re: accessing my PC iTunes library but when I try access this using the app, the songs are there but I keep getting an error message saying I don’t have permission / cannot access this file. I have tried to follow this process for the CA but have not been able to find it.

From everything I’ve read on SNA, this device is straight forwards to setup and use but I don’t seem to be doing it right / have myself set up appropriately.  I am not a total tech luddite but it's not my strong suit either. 

I am considering buying an external 2TB hard drive, copying the CA contents onto it and then plugging this directly into the Node. The only catch with this is needing to update it whenever I get new music

What is everyone else doing / using?

I am keen to unlock the vast potential of this device – from what I have read.

If you are thinking of buying a new HDD, buy one that is network enabled (plugs into your router with an Ethernet cable). 

The Node will find the files on the network no problem then.

These files are also available anywhere with an internet connection as well for a nice bonus. 

I have a Bluesound Node 1 

To access I use the Bluesound app on the iPad 

Anything the iPad can see via WiFi can be played on the Bluesound 

And I prefer to plugin a 128gb USB with the music files I like and play them direct 

It can read larger drives but if it’s switched off between listening sessions it will require the time to read any attached drive again on restart 

A message pops up to indicate that the USB drive is ready to go 

Thanks @The Grif I was wondering how effective a "cloud" hard drive would be.

I take it you are talking about this sort of HDD?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/wd/wd-my-cloud-home-2tb/542299/

Would one of these do the job also?

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=131&bid=3&sid=292101

35 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

Thanks @The Grif I was wondering how effective a "cloud" hard drive would be.

I take it you are talking about this sort of HDD?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/wd/wd-my-cloud-home-2tb/542299/

Would one of these do the job also?

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=131&bid=3&sid=292101

Yes, i have an earlier version of that WD my cloud home HDD. Works fine with the Node.

Haven't had any problems and its also handy to store photos on and access anywhere.

I used to connect mine to an external drive over wi-fi but now find it simpler to plug a portable 1TB drive directly into the USB port of the Node 2. It takes very little time to add new albums ripped to my computer.

The other thing I found is that I use Tidal more than accessing my own music. 

And Radio Paradise gets a lot of airplay, also :thumb:

• Like 2

Thanks @Bill125812 . Just for clarification, an external HD plugged into the router works as well as the NAS? I was starting to look at a cloud HD but a portable HD is much cheaper.

@wolster does it take long for the Node to re-read the portable HD when you turn it on as @Full Range indicated above? Or is that an issue with the Node1 vs Node2. Plugging in directly seems a simpler solution.

Also, what was it about the wifi path that pushed you to a direct connection?

@dirktoggler

I reckon it only takes, maybe 3-4 minutes to read the HD when plugged back in. Never really timed it but will do so ;)

My network system was on a Vortexbox which I sold and didn't see the need to replace, particularly as I figured there could be an audio improvement by plugging a portable HD direct into the Node 2. Have no idea if that is true BTW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirktoggler said:

Thanks @Bill125812 . Just for clarification, an external HD plugged into the router works as well as the NAS? I was starting to look at a cloud HD but a portable HD is much cheaper.

@wolster does it take long for the Node to re-read the portable HD when you turn it on as @Full Range indicated above? Or is that an issue with the Node1 vs Node2. Plugging in directly seems a simpler solution.

Also, what was it about the wifi path that pushed you to a direct connection?

Yes mate.  

I have both active and attainable by the bluesound at the same time 

• Like 1

I turn on and let the system warm up for a minimum of 15 min 

So time is not an issue with me so my 5 min is a conservative maximum for the Node 1 

The Node 2 is probably faster going by the times noted above 

I chose direct because I had a great 128gb USB 3 given to me by the wife ( I must have said something and she decided to surprise me ) and it fits my favourite audio files 

Having said that I don’t like to fiddle with long lists and searching long lists ect I just choose an album and let it play from start to finish 

And as noted above I also like Radio Paradise - it’s my favourite 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Luc,
Apologies for my late reply. Things have been rather hectic the last fortnight.
I have been consolidating my digital files onto a hard drive but it is taking me ages.
The transfer from the Cocktail Audio was not as straightforward as I’d hoped so have been manually editing files - PAINFUL.
I’ve also been cross checking the files on my PC and back up drive to make sure I haven’t missed anything.
I then need to doe the same with my wife’s small iTunes folder.
Very time consuming.
That said, when I have connected it up, the results have been excellent

On 14/11/2017 at 10:55 AM, dirktoggler said:

I am considering buying an external 2TB hard drive, copying the CA contents onto it and then plugging this directly into the Node. The only catch with this is needing to update it whenever I get new music

What is everyone else doing / using?

this is all I am doing. got a 2TB USB SSD and plugged it straight into the unit.

as per wol above only hiccups tend to be related to either power flick or where power is interrupted to it. or loss of network. or if it needs to do a firmware update(it will ask permission). all these tend to require the unit to re connect and refresh and interrupt use.

but otherwise it just gets on with things nothing really else to report :)

• Like 1