PicoWattson

Schiit Jotunheim Amplifier

Is anybody using this supposed giant killer with planar magnetics? I am particularly interested to hear if anyone with HE-1000, HE-X, LCD-3/4, Focal Utopia/Clear etc has tried it. Stoddard and Moffat claim it is their lowest distortion HP amp yet but that does not always translate to the best listening experience. There appears to be plenty of forum gushing, but all phones used appear to be in the commensurate price range. I am considering upgrading my Taurus for a Violectric V281 but wonder if the the Joti may be a rewarding experience (not just the financial kind) or as I am prone to suspect, unsubstantiated hype more suited to the HE-400 or Elear.

I am willing to be proven wrong if someone with the relevant experience rather than idle speculation can chime in.

Edited by PicoWattson

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm thinking of purchasing this with the DAC installed and use Audeze EL8's closed back headphones so this should be interesting.

I've used the Jotunheim with an LCD2.2, a HifiMan HE560 and a HifiMAN HE500 and had quite enjoyable sound FOR THE MONEY. I feel the main benefit of the Jotunheim is the price/performance aspect of it, that you get a decent balanced amp for a decent price.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:59 PM, PicoWattson said:

The DAC board doesn't seem to garner the same sort of respect and most reviewers are of the opinion it warrants a better source.

That may be the case but at what price point will the better source be? And is it worth the extra stretch on the wallet (mine anyway :))

10 hours ago, PicoWattson said:

@Suopermanni Did you notice a difference in performance between SE and balanced output?

Great question, were you able to test the balanced headphone output? Was there a noticeable difference?

@PicoWattson From my experimenting, I can only detect volume differences between the SE and Balanced Outputs. Obviously, use the balanced if you want the additional power it can provide but the SE is respectable in my opinion. I also managed to briefly compare the Schiit Ragnarok to the Jotunheim. I could not tell much of a difference using the balanced HP out on both the Rag and the Jotunheim.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.