Schiit Jotunheim Amplifier

Is anybody using this supposed giant killer with planar magnetics? I am particularly interested to hear if anyone with HE-1000, HE-X, LCD-3/4, Focal Utopia/Clear etc has tried it. Stoddard and Moffat claim it is their lowest distortion HP amp yet but that does not always translate to the best listening experience. There appears to be plenty of forum gushing, but all phones used appear to be in the commensurate price range. I am considering upgrading my Taurus for a Violectric V281 but wonder if the the Joti may be a rewarding experience (not just the financial kind) or as I am prone to suspect, unsubstantiated hype more suited to the HE-400 or Elear.

I am willing to be proven wrong if someone with the relevant experience rather than idle speculation can chime in.

Edited by PicoWattson
  • Like 1

I've used the Jotunheim with an LCD2.2, a HifiMan HE560 and a HifiMAN HE500 and had quite enjoyable sound FOR THE MONEY. I feel the main benefit of the Jotunheim is the price/performance aspect of it, that you get a decent balanced amp for a decent price.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:59 PM, PicoWattson said:

The DAC board doesn't seem to garner the same sort of respect and most reviewers are of the opinion it warrants a better source.

That may be the case but at what price point will the better source be? And is it worth the extra stretch on the wallet (mine anyway :))

@PicoWattson From my experimenting, I can only detect volume differences between the SE and Balanced Outputs. Obviously, use the balanced if you want the additional power it can provide but the SE is respectable in my opinion. I also managed to briefly compare the Schiit Ragnarok to the Jotunheim. I could not tell much of a difference using the balanced HP out on both the Rag and the Jotunheim.

• Like 1

I'm using a Jot with both LCD-3's and EL-8's and they sound brilliant to me, however I have no other reference. 

I have been meaning to drag them to Melbourne or Sydney to audition them against other more expensive in-store setups to see if its worth my while to upgrade.

Be interesting to get some feedback on anyone who has more than the Jots, who can compare it to other more expensive rigs.

Almost pulled the trigger on the Mojo2's, as they look like a great combo but for that money I could upgrade to the LCD-4's!!

Still getting to terms with my unit. Currently tried it with 3/7 of my headphones but initial impressions are good!

Don't have experience with anything better (or priced higher) but I've got some Aune X1S, Schiit Magni 2 & Lyr (1) to compare the Jot against.

Tl;dr yes it's good and I consider it a straight upgrade from the cheaper amps I've got. However, if I had to choose between the Jot and Magni 3 (or even the 2) I'd get the 3 and pocket the savings unless I was serious about this hobby.

• Like 1

Just received the 800's.... been swapping between the LCD-3's on the Jot. 

What a set of headphones. I am speechless. 

Everything that they say about them is true. The clarity and detail is astonishing. 

Obviously I need to give it some time, but they are so much better to my ears than the LCD's. I didn't think that was possible.

Been eyeing off the new HDV820, what are people's thoughts when compared to other options in this price range? 

Edited by thestefster

In the HDV820 you'll be getting a combined DAC and HP amp, which may fast track inbuilt obsolescence somewhat. Sennheiser are a bit coy about which ESS Sabre chip it uses. The buzz seems to warrant mandatory balanced use of this unit. Have you thought about a balanced cable with 4.4mm Pentaconn connectors? You might be the first kid on the block with one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/11/2017 at 10:35 PM, PicoWattson said:

Is anybody using this supposed giant killer with planar magnetics? I am particularly interested to hear if anyone with HE-1000, HE-X, LCD-3/4, Focal Utopia/Clear etc has tried it. Stoddard and Moffat claim it is their lowest distortion HP amp yet but that does not always translate to the best listening experience. There appears to be plenty of forum gushing, but all phones used appear to be in the commensurate price range. I am considering upgrading my Taurus for a Violectric V281 but wonder if the the Joti may be a rewarding experience (not just the financial kind) or as I am prone to suspect, unsubstantiated hype more suited to the HE-400 or Elear.

I am willing to be proven wrong if someone with the relevant experience rather than idle speculation can chime in.

Mm, unfortunately not personal experience with the Jot yet, only the excellent review I've read several times in HiFi Plus mag - Dec 2016 edition. It was used WITH the supplied DAC and run with the Focal Utopias, HifiMAN HE1000 V2 and Mr Speakers Ether Flow, apparently really quite something on all of them, including some top class CIEMs. Several aspects of a favourite piece of music left the reviewer 'slack jawed and wide eyed in wonder,' using the Utopias. Fabulous instrument timbre, full, rich and pure, lots of tonal colour. Dynamic contrasts also highly praised. If I may quote Chris Martens' conclusion, " ... offers heavyweight performance in a middleweight chassis for a bantamweight price. " 

I think he really liked it! Definitely something I may need to hear for myself next year, especially since it seems very capable with some of the best cans out there. 

I know the Utopias are not planars, but the rest are and the Utopias are known for brightness with some amps, maybe those reviewers didn't get to hear them with a Jot :) 

Edited by Lightstream

• 2 weeks later...

Had the Mjolnir2 with the Gungnir Multibit arrive today from the nice folks at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. 

Have been swapping between the Jotunheim and this stack all morning and the main difference for me is the low-end, its night and day on the HD800S. Deep and powerful. More detailed separation is also noticeable, especially with tracks like ACDC's Thunderstruck where the low-end makes it come alive. 

I also tried the solid-stack tubes next to the glass tubes but without further testing i'd struggle to pick a winner other than *maybe* the solid-state sounded slightly better to my ears. 

The MJ and Gumby are an amazing piece of kit, no question. That said, what the last three hours have taught me is that the Jot is an even more incredible achievement for the level of performance it delivers in such a small unit, irrespective of price. To my ears is, the Jot is not that far off the MJ and Gumby combo, at least on the HD800S. 

IMG_1222.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...