kukynas

4K IP security cameras

below some comparisons between above mentioned cameras (you need to be registered to see full size pictures) , as said before Starlight (2Mp) is better for low light (night vision) purposes and where cropping isn't required

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-ipc-hdw5831r-ze.22031/

@Marc  I didn't try the surveillance station in my new DS918+ but if I remember well from previous DS there weren't advanced functions such as face detection etc. available like in Dahua Pro NVRs, any progress on your side? 

there's new 12MP version in the same chassis coming so let's see how it compares to 8MP version, I would expect in 4K mode to be little more detailed and low light video bit clearer but lets see for real comparisons, the main disadvantage for now is its price, $450 is too much for little extra details...

1 cam and NVR arrived, I paid little extra for UPS expedited tax free delivery, all very well packed and looks good so far... except one little problem, NVR is wider/deeper then the hole in the ceiling plasterboard :emot-bang: , no idea how to get it there yet but first I need to buy spare HDD to test it and see how it all works...

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.38f841cd6946db64499354361750c228.JPG

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.842d826f09bc72d59d8151e079171626.JPG

IMG_1184.thumb.JPG.43ca12d937fc166344bfa67c1d8af511.JPG

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.536e36322b5d9a4200800a01bf2b89ab.JPG

IMG_1185.thumb.JPG.a5843d66f963d4149bf3a5ae77562b9d.JPG

Edited by kukynas
added picture of the NVR internals

On 01/07/2018 at 7:55 AM, Marc said:

I have 8 x Hikvision cameras (current high-end models) that I can't recall the model number. However after about 6 months I'm really unhappy with them.

They lose their PoE connection back to Synology all the time (previous cameras did not). Support is pretty much non-existent. All they do is say update the firmware, but I have nothing but trouble trying to find the right firmware and making it stick.

I've given up and ordered some Dahua ones (listed above) so I'll report back when they arrive.

I pay for Surveillance Station on Synology and find that great. I keep just a few days of storage but yes the space does start stacking up after days of 8MP x 10 cameras. If I was to set up again, I'd have a seperate NVR for my surveillance system. I've found I can choke the bandwidth of the NAS with all my media (video and audio) plus the camera streams.

Any update on this Marc?

Yes, the Dahua's have performed flawlessly, offering better resolution and reliability both in day and night overall.

19 minutes ago, Marc said:

Yes, the Dahua's have performed flawlessly, offering better resolution and reliability both in day and night overall.

What did you get if you dont mind me asking?

The ones discussed in the thread.

Hi, Its been a while, but can you comment on how you went with your setup?

Also, would you recommend the Ali express seller you purchased from? ie authenticity of items etc?

Hi,

in the end I ended up not using NVR, I didn't think about in advance how NVR operates, it takes IP addresses from cameras and convert them into internal addresses not accessible directly, means you can't use setting available in camera firmware which in many cases is superior to the NVR capabilities and functionalities, secondly you basically loose external access through the mobile app so I got them linked directly to the router and records to the NAS, you can still access camera setting internally via web base access and change whatever you need

yes, but not sure if they still selling them, you can always search on aliexpress for best price and reviews from other buyers, these are genuine cameras so if there would be any issue buyers would report it 

On 02/04/2019 at 11:29 AM, Marc said:

I'm back on this ride again.  Having just had our caravan stolen from outside our house whilst we slept, and an endless stream of ne're-do-wells in our dead-end street, it's time to sort some cameras.  I'd appreciate any help!! 

Marc - which Synology NAS are you using, and may I please get a brief lowdown of its setup?  I understand 2 licences are supplied, with extras at ?$50 per camera (and is this for "life")?

Initially I was told/had read that Hikvision were the go, but it's looking like Dahua is the biz? 

I have a home pre-wired with Cat6 and I can did this cabling myself, so hooking up POE units should be easy.  I have already left some Cat6 in the walls ready for some cameras (if I can remember where it all is!!  All Cat6 terminates in a laundry cupboard.  I always thought an addition of a NAS may be useful, so perhaps a Synology or QNAP NAS, running Surveillance Station (rather than a dedicated recorder) is the go?

Camera needs:

1. Main camera(s) to get quality street scape.  Needs to handle night vision and motion detection.  Needs to capture number plates and hopefully faces (always under hoodies eh?) in less than ideal light.  Needs motion detection.  Would need to be properly weatherproof.

2. cameras to cover front door/path leading to door, and back door (both under eaves)

3. camera to cover back yard (which can easily be accessed via surrounding parks).  Again, low light and motion detection important. 

So that's maybe 1 fancy one, one slightly fancy one, and 2 basic ones (=4)

When I finish my shed/workshop, I'd like to put one inside the shed, and one on a bike storage unit.  That'd make 6.

Thoughts from everyone?

Thanks!  MAt

On 11/06/2019 at 6:28 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Marc - which Synology NAS are you using, and may I please get a brief lowdown of its setup?  I understand 2 licences are supplied, with extras at ?$50 per camera (and is this for "life")?

correct

Initially I was told/had read that Hikvision were the go, but it's looking like Dahua is the biz? 

again correct, Dahua

Camera needs:

1. Main camera(s) to get quality street scape.  Needs to handle night vision and motion detection.  Needs to capture number plates and hopefully faces (always under hoodies eh?) in less than ideal light.  Needs motion detection.  Would need to be properly weatherproof.

2. cameras to cover front door/path leading to door, and back door (both under eaves)

3. camera to cover back yard (which can easily be accessed via surrounding parks).  Again, low light and motion detection important. 

those posted below should cover all your needs, first one is good for night vision and closeups, second for covering longer range with higher resolution  

some sample footage under different light conditions with different setting, and it's not me 😃