blybo

7.1 AVR recomendations for parents. $1000-$1500 Budget

So I bought a 2nd hand NAD AVR here for my parents and long story short, the thing has failed within 12 months and seller has given no end of excuses as to why he can't get it repaired (still under warranty) for me despite saying he would as part of the sale... and repair is close to $1k, so we will bin it.

I'm thinking a mid model Marantz like the SR5011 as I've been very happy with my Marantz 7702 processor, but wondering what else might be out there? Parents room is combined family/dining/kitchen, suspended wood floor, approx 12-14m length x 5-ish width. Almost 1 complete side is windows and glass sliding doors so its a bit of a nightmare room. Speakers are Whatmough Performance series with in ceilings as surrounds (no other option as 1 side wall is a glass sliding door and being open plan, no rear wall to the family area)

The Marantz is an excellent choice but For something stupidly cheap,   My son bought me a Yammie for Xmas many moons ago and I still use it to watch movies on a 1080 screen.  Don't use it much so I don't really care, but better than the some of the rubbish sound in a cinema.   Its definately not the full atmos system that many here are using..   And FWIW I was very happy to see a high action movie last night in bed using a work Lenovo laptop with a set of Beyerdynamic T90.

on back of failure of a unit, I think worth sticking to something with good warranty support etc to make up for the bad taste left.

yams maybe worth considering and the A series come with the nice 4 year warranty though dont know what after sales is like. dont also know how yams go with whatmoughs, as can be a bit strident however the A series seem a lot smoother these days.

if dont need all the latest greatest, theres this 4520 going at a great price ! 

note its a 2013 model so 4K on it isnt going to be fully compatible  

https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/hometheater/avreceivers/avr4520ci

so if looking something newer maybe a newer model worth looking at. christmas sales should be coming up and there should be a few run outs of older series denon and marantz around as new models hit.

So I bought a 2nd hand NAD AVR here for my parents and long story short, the thing has failed within 12 months and seller has given no end of excuses as to why he can't get it repaired (still under warranty) for me despite saying he would as part of the sale... and repair is close to $1k, so we will bin it

Try contacting NAD directly and just say you lost the receipt. Potentially the serial number might help with the build date which they can verify?
Shame the person is not helping out if they have the receipt just ask for a copy, and see if you have any luck?

Claim they paid cash and cant find receipt. Store is now closed and also Change in distribution

The Marantz NR1608 is really great value. Slimline. Decent power (not overinflated) and sounds good. 

Also it is a new model - which will support Dolby Vision, UHD, Atmos, DTSX etc. 

At 1299. One of the better bargains 

Had thought of previous models. Parents never buy Blu-rays or interested in Atmos, UHD etc

1 minute ago, blybo said:

Had thought of previous models. Parents never buy Blu-rays or interested in Atmos, UHD etc

New AppleTV supports UHD and I believe Atmos and Dolby Vision too

New AppleTV supports UHD and I believe Atmos and Dolby Vision too

Fair point. Although they have the Just superseded Apple TV, but still unlikely to be updating their 55” ST Panasonic plasma so a mute point for them.

5.1 was difficult enough in their room, Atmos ain’t ever going to happen. I haven’t gone Atmos yet!

Speaking of the Sony STRDN 1080... Is there any disadvantage to buying from the US? I found it for $800aud...Just means a cheap power adapter and no local warranty right? 

Edited by Mullins!

7 hours ago, Mullins! said:

Speaking of the Sony STRDN 1080... Is there any disadvantage to buying from the US? I found it for $800aud...Just means a cheap power adapter and no local warranty right? 

I'm not a faon of buying receivers from overseas - local 50Hz frequency can cause power supply issues (noise and higher operating temp) even with a step down transformer. More importantly the Sony has the Mr Puniverse of power supplies with a max power draw of 240W. After allowing 70% efficiency from class A/B that leaves you 168W, then divide by 7 channels = 24W/channel. Probably even less in the real world, as we're not allowing for the power consumed by the pre-amp and processing stage.