NAD AV Receivers - where have they gone?

Hi, I have an older NAD AV Receiver which I've owned for over 12+ years which is now ready for upgrading soon. NAD AV receivers are seeming to be slowly disappearing from retailers in AU. One retailer told me they dropped the brand due to reliability issues. I've read some people have had issues but I have never (until recently) myself, which is pretty good for how old it is. I see NAD is updating their receivers for 2018 to cater for 4k connectivity, but does anyone know whats happing with the line in AU? I know their Masters Series pre+power is pretty darn good but even they are hard to come by. Would like to know any thoughts and even inside industry goss. Also, need I mention, before some may suggest other brands, I just wanted to see responses and discussion about NAD AV's and Cinema Components in particular. Look forward to your comments.

thanks

down the toilet I reckon ! 

I was advised lately by a service agent that the superseded master series gear is no longer supported cant get parts etc. if that is kind of stuff going to happen with their flagship stuff thats plain ridiculous. who is going to invest in this kind of gear. I owned myself both their master series 2ch integrated and disc player and we are talking about $9k between them. I would be pretty p!ssed to say the least if still had and found out cant be fixed for some fault developed ? 

i am a big nad fan we still own an original nad receiver going back to the 80s that ironically is still going. I suspect nad has lost something along the ways ....

i hope they get themselves out the hole seem to have found them selves in.

• Like 1

I concur with whats been said already. A lot of vendors during NAD's "unreliable phase" wouldve jumped ship at the earliest opportunity, and to take the brand back onto a shop floor now would probably mean, for most, the possibility of dropping a brand that plugged the whole when it happened. As much as I would be confident NAD's reliability is back on track, who in their right mind wants to take the risk.

Plus there are other bespoke AV brands doing as good, if not a better job (Anthem, Arcam, Trinnov, Audio Control etc).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, :) al said:

down the toilet I reckon ! 

I was advised lately by a service agent that the superseded master series gear is no longer supported cant get parts etc. if that is kind of stuff going to happen with their flagship stuff thats plain ridiculous. who is going to invest in this kind of gear. I owned myself both their master series 2ch integrated and disc player and we are talking about $9k between them. I would be pretty p!ssed to say the least if still had and found out cant be fixed for some fault developed ? 

i am a big nad fan we still own an original nad receiver going back to the 80s that ironically is still going. I suspect nad has lost something along the ways ....

i hope they get themselves out the hole seem to have found them selves in.

Yes, its a bit worrying as I love them too. I have Musical Fidelity stereo also which costs 3x as much, and sound is on par for me. For value for money they are pretty outstanding in their sound with the right cabling and speakers. I've been tempted by other brands, but want to stick with NAD for AV. Cleary your Masters Series is the old silver ones. Good looking and do sound great. If I had the money I'd be buying the new Masters version for Cinema pre+power.

1 minute ago, Awiseman said:

Cleary your Masters Series is the old silver ones.

no not the old silvers. I am talking the gun metal/silver two tone models. only leaves me wondering how long before nad stop supporting the current master series line ?

28 minutes ago, :) al said:

no not the old silvers. I am talking the gun metal/silver two tone models. only leaves me wondering how long before nad stop supporting the current master series line ?

Oh, right gotch-ya,, very nice amp, they seem to get some rave reviews more than the old model. I remember seeing a video review using your model comparing the new B&W 805 d3 with earlier 805d's, just from the video it sounded spectacular.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, :) al said:

I was advised lately by a service agent that the superseded master series gear is no longer supported cant get parts etc.

Your service agent should stop spreading mistruths. Perhaps he lost a servicing contract/agreement, or perhaps he wasn't an authorised NAD repairer so wasn't provided the parts he may have been chasing. Or perhaps he was trying to get parts in between the local NAD distributorship changing from QualiFi to Convoy. Who knows?

Some time ago NAD did have an unreliable era and they openly admit that in conversation (I know a few of the guys at Lenbrook, their parent company). They have invested substantially since though, and the new range is most certainly impressive. We have the flagship AVR out with one of our reviewers at the moment and initial impressions are very good, especially when you look at the price compared to rivals in the market with the same feature set and specs.

Remember NAD is the same company as Bluesound who have an impeccable reliability and service record.

With the new range I think you'll start seeing it returning to retailers soon now there's actually a range to offer - remember their is a lengthy process involved. Distributor must receive stock (often by sea freight). Reps must get out and see dealers. Dealers need to be convinced to stock a range, sign agreements, place orders, receive stock etc etc. It all takes time.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Marc said:

We have the flagship AVR out with one of our reviewers at the moment and initial impressions are very good, especially when you look at the price compared to rivals in the market with the same feature set and specs.

I'm so looking forward to the new flagship AVR (T787 v3 assuming?) as this is precisely what I'm looking at. Although, if I find something worthwhile to sell to get the Masters series I would certainly adopt this as the new child into the family. 

Edited by Awiseman
forgot to finish my sentence properly

52 minutes ago, Marc said:

Your service agent should stop spreading mistruths. Perhaps he lost a servicing contract/agreement, or perhaps he wasn't an authorised NAD repairer so wasn't provided the parts he may have been chasing. Or perhaps he was trying to get parts in between the local NAD distributorship changing from QualiFi to Convoy. Who knows?

Some time ago NAD did have an unreliable era and they openly admit that in conversation (I know a few of the guys at Lenbrook, their parent company). They have invested substantially since though, and the new range is most certainly impressive. We have the flagship AVR out with one of our reviewers at the moment and initial impressions are very good, especially when you look at the price compared to rivals in the market with the same feature set and specs.

Remember NAD is the same company as Bluesound who have an impeccable reliability and service record.

With the new range I think you'll start seeing it returning to retailers soon now there's actually a range to offer - remember their is a lengthy process involved. Distributor must receive stock (often by sea freight). Reps must get out and see dealers. Dealers need to be convinced to stock a range, sign agreements, place orders, receive stock etc etc. It all takes time.

And slash their prices to build up consumer confidence?

Remember NAD is the same company as Bluesound who have an impeccable reliability and service record

That is a welcome current trend that can leverage innovation within the industry ; similar to the Marantz/ Denon setup to share technology and value add . Am certainly considering a T758V3 as an interim hdmi solution depending on its hdmi reliability ; NAD were never like a lot of ce's in that they did do original R&D like EARs and kept the superfluous lo fi add ons to the minimum [ and actually specified all channels driven watts/ch - what a concept :ohmy: ]  . And they now have Dirac at a great price .. hard to believe it once cost 20k in a datasat rs20i :)