Will this be a noticeable upgrade?

Currently have a 27" imac  latte 2012 model 2.9ghz maxed out to 32gb ram and a 2tb hard drive. Have an option of a 2012 6 core mac pro 24gb ram xeon x5690 3.4ghz with 1tb hard drive and 128gb SSD. Have a monitor on hand so no issue there. My primary use is music production. Will I notice much difference between the two? The cost after selling one to purchase another will be minimal. Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks

Guest Muon N'

I'm a bit late, but anyway...

As far as CPU's go the pro has a big edge, if I'm right the current iMac uses the i5-3470S CPU.

i5-3470S

4 cores

4 threads

6MB cache

Xeon X5690

6 cores

12 threads

12MB cache

For multi tasking the Xeon has it hands down and should be noticeably more responsive with It's 12 MB cache and higher default clock speed.

The SSD in the pro should make some tasks more responsive too.

Guest Muon N'

Traditionally the Xeon CPU's are hand picked pieces of silicon as they are aimed at the server and mission critical environments, so should live a longer life all being equal.

Although runs hotter.

There is a little difference in memory support between the two, the i5 can run 1600 over 1333, but supports 3 memory channels compared to 2, so depends on the motherboard support and how the ram is configured and what is in use.

I'm still running a 3110 Xeon dual core, been over 7 years in constant service mostly 24/7.

Edited by Muon N'

Incidentally, anyone here use a non apple monitor connected to their Macs? Looking for a budget display as a second monitor to daisy chain with my Apple display 2008 24". Can this be done? If so what brands to consider/not consider. Have all necessary adapters on board so can accommodate vga HDMI and dvi.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 11/15/2017 at 8:00 AM, rotur said:

Incidentally, anyone here use a non apple monitor connected to their Macs? Looking for a budget display as a second monitor to daisy chain with my Apple display 2008 24". Can this be done? If so what brands to consider/not consider. Have all necessary adapters on board so can accommodate vga HDMI and dvi.

Apple stopped making monitors. Just about anything with a digital connection will be fine (vga might throw up issues).

Apple's 24" display is high quality, so it really depends on what you want. I have a real cheapie that works fine on my Mini 'cause I'm usually using screen sharing from the laptop. If you want a high quality viewing experience in a large size be prepared to spend more.

(p.s.--I really love the 27" 5K screen on the new iMac.)