Suggestions for next hifi show

1st off I wasn't able to attend this year so going mainly off 2016 thoughts.

1 of the issues with HT demonstrations is sound leakage. Although HiFi can easily be demo'ed at around 70dB, a HT demo will be significantly louder as demo's usually want to show off system dynamics with action/explosions etc.

@Marc Could you make it a requirement that every room have a source capable to stream your currated playlist via Tidal/Roon or Spotify? Then no excuses for not playing tracks we could all select from prior to the show and compare same version of a track in multiple rooms (if time permits in each/any room). I gather this was your intention last year with the SNA playlist but many rooms last year had no streaming capability. Now that streaming is such a massive source of music these days for so many of us, exhibitors should be paying more attention to quality streaming sources.

On 11/9/2017 at 8:55 AM, THOMO said:

Although the hotel venue was fine the Albert Park area lacks restaurants,bars ,shops and alternative accommodation.

I think somewhere in the city or an area near the city with a good range of hospitality,retail and dining services within walking distance would have been better.

It is only a 10 minute walk to Fitzroy St in St.Kilda which is a hive of food and music activity, as well as quite a few pubs and accommodation.

2 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Speaking of vintage wouldnt it be great to have a vintage (20+more years) setup next to a modern setup of equivalent value just to see how far technology has (or has not) progressed.

That would need to be done by Marc more than likely, so more investment for him. A distributor is extremely unlikely to put his gear up against classic vintage gear unless he/she can select the vintage gear displayed so his/hers clearly beats it, so not really a fair test.

34 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Speaking of vintage wouldnt it be great to have a vintage (20+more years) setup next to a modern setup of equivalent value just to see how far technology has (or has not) progressed.

Absolutely.  The closest I've seen is a redesign of an old legend and the new design is in show.  A vintage display would be very cool...

33 minutes ago, blybo said:

1st off I wasn't able to attend this year so going mainly off 2016 thoughts.

1 of the issues with HT demonstrations is sound leakage. Although HiFi can easily be demo'ed at around 70dB, a HT demo will be significantly louder as demo's usually want to show off system dynamics with action/explosions etc.

@Marc Could you make it a requirement that every room have a source capable to stream your currated playlist via Tidal/Roon or Spotify? Then no excuses for not playing tracks we could all select from prior to the show and compare same version of a track in multiple rooms (if time permits in each/any room). I gather this was your intention last year with the SNA playlist but many rooms last year had no streaming capability. Now that streaming is such a massive source of music these days for so many of us, exhibitors should be paying more attention to quality streaming sources.

It is only a 10 minute walk to Fitzroy St in St.Kilda which is a hive of food and music activity, as well as quite a few pubs and accommodation.

Thanks for that tip.We went for a walk down St Kilda Rd looking for restaurants but should have ventured a bit further.

We stayed in Punt Rd so ended up walking to Chapel St for our food which was fine although it was a fair walk and next time we will take a cattle prod to clear a path through all the hipsters.Not sure about the Indian/Mexican fusion restaurant there either!

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

That would be awesome!