Suggestions for next hifi show

I was thinking to myself - now that SNA has absorbed DTV forum, it is technically a stereo AND a HT forum. As far as I am aware, there is no HT show in Australia. The market for HT is probably several times larger than 2 channel stereo, and many of the current exhibitors in this year's hifi show also market HT products. Would it make sense to expand the next show to include HT products? That would broaden the appeal and draw in a larger audience. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Yeah, looks like 2 sequential weekends next year. Have to make the stars align

Has a date already been set for next year? Why two weekends?

Although the hotel venue was fine the Albert Park area lacks restaurants,bars ,shops and alternative accommodation.

I think somewhere in the city or an area near the city with a good range of hospitality,retail and dining services within walking distance would have been better.

11 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Hi All,

I’d have to agree with Hensa, I really enjoyed the HT rooms at the 2016 show & whilst that not why I attended, it was a great break from critical Hi Fi listening & as I’m sure like most of us..I’m also into HT with all my 2CH systems actually hybrids.

I think you meant Keith_W although I don't disagree with the sentiment.

• Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions. There will certainly be more HT presence in 2018 as we will be encouraging it. It was missed this year as 2 channel has been the strong seller this year. Thanks in part, we think, due to the vinyl revival.
After 2018, the plan is to alternate each year between Melbourne and Sydney.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Thanks for the suggestions. There will certainly be more HT presence in 2018 as we will be encouraging it. It was missed this year as 2 channel has been the strong seller this year. Thanks in part, we think, due to the vinyl revival.

Thats great news your bringing the show to Sydney.

• Like 1

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Adelaide?

I'd never rule it out, but one of the reasons Melbourne is successful is that the majority of the distributors are based here.

You also have to look at where the majority of HiFi stores are, and the reasons why when you compare capital cities.

I think we need to establish our show first and with Sydney planned for 2019, only beyond then could we look at smaller pilot shows around the country.

We spent over $30,000 to attract over two thousand attendees to Melbourne's show, where arguably, there is a strong HiFi sector.

With the same budget, I would worry about the sort of number that could be attracted to an Adelaide show. Sadly, we're not dealing in fishing, boating, 4x4, home and boat shows which has a very large captive audience.

• Like 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Acoustic room treatments :thumb:

I do agree with this. The better sounding rooms over the three days had all made varying attempts at treating the room.

As mentioned in another thread, we're going to produce a "How to get the best from your exhibition" type guide for our exhibitors in 2018.

Some are seasoned and know what to do, others just turned up with boxes and cables and hoped for the best.

• Love 1

• Administrator
You would like to think though that designers of loudspeakers would already realise the importance of room treatment rather than "winging it" when arriving at their room.
Yes you would like to :)
And as an organiser, we get the "room sounds terrible" complaint while standing beside them and looking at the untreated room. [emoji102]

I'd never rule it out, but one of the reasons Melbourne is successful is that the majority of the distributors are based here.
You also have to look at where the majority of HiFi stores are, and the reasons why when you compare capital cities.
I think we need to establish our show first and with Sydney planned for 2019, only beyond then could we look at smaller pilot shows around the country.
We spent over $30,000 to attract over two thousand attendees to Melbourne's show, where arguably, there is a strong HiFi sector.
With the same budget, I would worry about the sort of number that could be attracted to an Adelaide show. Sadly, we're not dealing in fishing, boating, 4x4, home and boat shows which has a very large captive audience.

Hi Marc,

Completely understand the rationale of holding these shows in Melb/Syd & I’m happy/able to travel.

Just an idea for the future once established.

Cheers
Matt
  • Like 1

I'd like a much expanded, diverse and all-encompassing Record Fair.

Melbourne is choked with Record Fairs currently, and not one of them stands out as the true leader, because by and large they are all identical in their basic offerings (and quite often, also in their vendors), with only the venue changing. To be something special, something *special* needs to be made to happen.

It sounds like that plan is already well under way for 2018, from what you have said Marc.

So am really looking forward to next year, and if I can help in any practical way, I hope you'll ask!  :) 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 10:12 AM, Tubularbells said:

You would like to think though that designers of loudspeakers would already realise the importance of room treatment rather than "winging it" when arriving at their room.

Yeah, but a non-treated room gives them an excuse for less than stellar sound. ;)

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 7:14 PM, Marc said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!  I'm from Victoria.......:lol:  Seriously though, good idea and only fair :thumb:.....and did someone say Adelaide?:emot-bang:  As for suggestions....more high end TT's, more phono stages and cartridges, better room acoustics/treatments and I agree with the calls for more HT displays. Great show this year all the same. Next years should be a beauty.........in Melbourne, yey!:P

Edited by stevoz

26 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Awesome!  A vintage high show!!! 

:lol:

Speaking of vintage wouldnt it be great to have a vintage (20+more years) setup next to a modern setup of equivalent value just to see how far technology has (or has not) progressed.

• Like 2