Neddly

Do I just need a stylus or a cartridge as well for this Pioneer SPL-110?

Hi there. A mate found this turntable in the back of his workshop and I'd like to try and get it going. It doesn't have a stylus and I'm wondering if I can just add one or do I need to replace the cartridge as well.

I'm a noob at this but would like to have a crack if I can and would like to do it on a budget.

I've attached photos sorry if they're a tad unfocused, phone didn't want to play ball.

Cheers

IMG_20171107_190711.jpg

IMG_20171107_190650.jpg

IMG_20171107_183616.jpg

It may be possible to just get a new stylus ,if you can work out what the cartridge is. Someone here may recognise it or if you unscrew it it may have something written on the top of the cart.

But you can buy a new cart and stylus ,such as , the Ortfon om10 for about $50 so that may be a better way to go.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ortofon-OM-10-Cartridge/152531517732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

$48 including post.

So what is the Turntable?

PN12 maybe.

Pretty sure thats it.

Take the headshell to a HiFI store in Melbourne.

Edited by Wimbo

1 hour ago, EV Cali said:

So what is the Turntable?

Crikey how did I forget to mention that ha ha!

It's a Pioneer SPL-110

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I recon @Wimbo has probably got it then as that is what the Pioneer SPL-110 was originally fitted with.

Give us an update when you have it going.

Edited by EV Cali

I remember that cart installed on many budget Pioneer TTs from the early 80s. It was one of the nastiest sounding I've ever encountered. Was bright on the top but distorted, with a mid range suck out and limited separation. I would agree the OM10 is a much better solution and can be had online for $43 posted. I recently installed one on a similar Pioneer and it works very well. 

Got an OM10 for $45.90 and it should arrive next week. I went past Thornbury Records yesterday but they're closed for a few days which was a bummer as I would have got it done last night. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Set up properly the OM10 can sound very nice indeed.

Oh shït!!! The old cartridge had a thread for the screw, the OM arrived today and after a stressful time slightly crimping the connectors so they'd stop slipping off the OM 10 I went to screw it on and I can't, it has no thread!

What do it do?

IMG20171115164020.jpg

14 minutes ago, Neddly said:

Oh shït!!! The old cartridge had a thread for the screw, the OM arrived today and after a stressful time slightly crimping the connectors so they'd stop slipping off the OM 10 I went to screw it on and I can't, it has no thread!

What do it do?

IMG20171115164020.jpg

Just use the screws and nuts that came with the OM10.

4 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Just use the screws and nuts that came with the OM10.

No screws came with it

Being as impatient as I am I want to do this now so I've cracked the old cartridge apart and held the it's over the gas stove to melt the plastic off to get the weird nuts out. I'll see if they work

IMG_20171115_172222.jpg