Do I just need a stylus or a cartridge as well for this Pioneer SPL-110?

Hi there. A mate found this turntable in the back of his workshop and I'd like to try and get it going. It doesn't have a stylus and I'm wondering if I can just add one or do I need to replace the cartridge as well.

I'm a noob at this but would like to have a crack if I can and would like to do it on a budget.

I've attached photos sorry if they're a tad unfocused, phone didn't want to play ball.

Cheers

IMG_20171107_190711.jpg

IMG_20171107_190650.jpg

IMG_20171107_183616.jpg

It may be possible to just get a new stylus ,if you can work out what the cartridge is. Someone here may recognise it or if you unscrew it it may have something written on the top of the cart.

But you can buy a new cart and stylus ,such as , the Ortfon om10 for about $50 so that may be a better way to go.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ortofon-OM-10-Cartridge/152531517732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

$48 including post.

So what is the Turntable?

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

I remember that cart installed on many budget Pioneer TTs from the early 80s. It was one of the nastiest sounding I've ever encountered. Was bright on the top but distorted, with a mid range suck out and limited separation. I would agree the OM10 is a much better solution and can be had online for $43 posted. I recently installed one on a similar Pioneer and it works very well. 

Got an OM10 for $45.90 and it should arrive next week. I went past Thornbury Records yesterday but they're closed for a few days which was a bummer as I would have got it done last night. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Oh shït!!! The old cartridge had a thread for the screw, the OM arrived today and after a stressful time slightly crimping the connectors so they'd stop slipping off the OM 10 I went to screw it on and I can't, it has no thread!

What do it do?

IMG20171115164020.jpg

14 minutes ago, Neddly said:

Oh shït!!! The old cartridge had a thread for the screw, the OM arrived today and after a stressful time slightly crimping the connectors so they'd stop slipping off the OM 10 I went to screw it on and I can't, it has no thread!

What do it do?

IMG20171115164020.jpg

Just use the screws and nuts that came with the OM10.

• 1 year later...

Hey, came here to offer my take on the same kind of project.

Here's how my SPL-110 looks now:
kUqqZWC.jpg

I initially installed an Audio Technica E95 cartridge which was a huge improvement on the OEM part, but managed to bend the stylus through (I think) outrageously bad alignment; so wound up replacing it with this Ortofon 2M Red Plug n Play kit. Looks great, and sounds excellent. It's pretty bright but theres plenty of bass there on the right discs. That may also be a function of my Mission 754 Freedom 5/Yamaha AV amp combo in a fairly small room with minimal insulation (my poor neighbours). I'm about to move, and once I do, this is getting hooked up to a NAD 3100 with either the Freedom 5s or some B&W DM602 S2s I've just bought. 

Anyway, the most obvious change here is I pulled off the god-awful '70s woodgrain con-tact case wrap, lightly stained and then oiled the timber - it's ply, but it's lovely ply. Looks a million dollars now.

I replaced the original 2mm MDF base plate underneath with some eucalypt hardwood a cabinetmaker friend had leftover; stained it Japan Black, and added the 90s spec turned aluminium feet. Felt platter blanket to finish it off.

Only real issue at the moment is I took to the lid with a variety of plastic polishes and only succeeded in making the whole thing cloudy. Going to try some ultra-ultra-ultra-fine wet/dry sandpaper as a last resort before I admit defeat and spray paint it satin black. Which would be a shame, but at least it's there, and crack-free.

• Like 1
  • Love 1