SVS SB2000 vs Sunfire HRS 12. Opinions please.

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about going dual subs for a while now. I have a Sunfire HRS-12 but I can't seem to come across another one pre-loved so have been thinking of alternatives.
The price of a new one is high compared to the SVS SB2000 (~$1500 each) and I could offset a purchase of two by selling the Sunfire (~$2200). I am a bit concerned over the age of the Sunfires design, as it hasn't changed a lot since launch (I think there has been some amp tweaks).

On paper the SVS SB2000 is very close to the Sunfire HRS-12, power, size, frequency response etc... but the Sunfire has a crazy high standby power of 16w. SVS are a great brand name when it comes to bass.

Has anyone here heard both? Or any SVS SB2000 owners like to share their thoughts? I'm not opposed to buying one at time to see, but I know the mismatch look will annoy the **** out of me.

BTW I want to experiment with running in stereo with high level input for music. Running a CXA80 and Elac 244.3's.

it would be nice if someone from this forum could answer the 2x svs sub question but plenty of users if you serch avs forum.

i doubt you would get near $1000 for the HRS (some are quite old now) have seen 2 pre-svspb2000 go for $600ish in the last year. maybe give peter a call at deep hz audio. he sells svs and has a good reputation. 

money wise maybe just keep looking for another HRS.. better sticking with what you know.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, PauliD said:

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about going dual subs for a while now. I have a Sunfire HRS-12 but I can't seem to come across another one pre-loved so have been thinking of alternatives.
The price of a new one is high compared to the SVS SB2000 (~$1500 each) and I could offset a purchase of two by selling the Sunfire (~$2200). I am a bit concerned over the age of the Sunfires design, as it hasn't changed a lot since launch (I think there has been some amp tweaks).

On paper the SVS SB2000 is very close to the Sunfire HRS-12, power, size, frequency response etc... but the Sunfire has a crazy high standby power of 16w. SVS are a great brand name when it comes to bass.

Has anyone here heard both? Or any SVS SB2000 owners like to share their thoughts? I'm not opposed to buying one at time to see, but I know the mismatch look will annoy the **** out of me.

BTW I want to experiment with running in stereo with high level input for music. Running a CXA80 and Elac 244.3's.

Ask @cazzesman   He has had 2 SB1000's running in his system in the past, so perhaps he can share some of this thoughts on this.

I have a SB-2000 and SB-13U running for both stereo and HT. They were integrated and optimised using a free software program called Multi Sub Optimiser (MSO), see my review here

Started with a single SB-2000 and was going to get a second until an almost new SB-13U came up in forum that was ignored for a few days. (For some reason, sealed subs attract less attention than ported ones?).  Could not resist the bargain. :thumb:

Both SVS subs are superb for music, with tight bass. No slouches either for movies and multi channel music. MSO made it easy to integrate the subs in what was a challenging open plan family room.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Good to hear that you rate the SVS SB-2000. Sealed is the go for apartment living mainly for size reasons.

The miniDSP looks like great tool to get the most out of multi-subs. But need another sub first :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I have a SB-2000 and SB-13U running for both stereo and HT. 

I have an older SVS sb12 plus and was considering either getting an sb 2000 or even a SB-13 ultra. I'm in a small to medium sized area and don't need high volume, but I am after high quality bass. Would you say there is noticeable difference between the two subs when listening to music and high density living acceptable levels?

3 hours ago, rrrrob said:

I have an older SVS sb12 plus and was considering either getting an sb 2000 or even a SB-13 ultra. I'm in a small to medium sized area and don't need high volume, but I am after high quality bass. Would you say there is noticeable difference between the two subs when listening to music and high density living acceptable levels?

A SB 2000 should be sufficient. The key is having dual subs, which allows you to make up for dips in bass.

• Like 1

The best way I can explain the sound from 2 subs with either mso, mini dsp or what I have DSpeaker 8033 is that you feel the bass or experience it rather than having your walls and windows rattling also every note on a bass guitar is clear as a bell.

• Like 1

I've found a pair of SVS SB-1000 going near by my place. I'd offer about 1k for both.

Do you think I'll be disappointed considering I'm used to the Sunfire? They are SVS's entry level speaker but same form factor. I never heard them. Do you guys think it worth the time pursuing?

On 07/11/2017 at 1:44 PM, PauliD said:

Hi everyone,

Are you sure the SVS has a high level input? I know my SB12NSD were line level only.

I can't say the stereo bass concept seems worthwhile in my experimenting but I readily admit I am a babe in the woods. Maybe @Satanica can throw his 2 bob in I think he has played around with stereo and mono bass in his set-up more extensively.

14 minutes ago, Pieface said:

Are you sure the SVS has a high level input? I know my SB12NSD were line level only.

I can't say the stereo bass concept seems worthwhile in my experimenting but I readily admit I am a babe in the woods. Maybe @Satanica can throw his 2 bob in I think he has played around with stereo and mono bass in his set-up more extensively.

Yes SVS are line level only. I think SVS used to be good value in Australia, but after the price hike a while back I think one really needs to consider other options.

Mono bass 80Hz and under makes a lot of sense as you would know Pie as it means one can position the sub(s) anywhere in the room and one can use this to the advantage of battling room modes.

With Stereo subs it totally dictates where one can position them, good for aesthetics, not good for sound.

Is there any stereo bass recorded anyway? Seemingly not.

7 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Yes SVS are line level only. I think SVS used to be good value in Australia, but after the price hike a while back I think one really needs to consider other options.

Mono bass 80Hz and under makes a lot of sense as you would know Pie as it means one can position the sub(s) anywhere in the room and one can use this to the advantage of battling room modes.

With Stereo subs it totally dictates where one can position them, good for aesthetics, not good for sound.

Good catch on the no high level inputs. 

The SB1000 DOES have them but 2000 and up don't (using digitalcinema). I was looking on lifestylestore which only has a pic on the back panel of the 1000. None for the 2000 which sucks. I assumed (silly me) that they would be the same just with greater power.

sbs-1000_sta-300db.jpg

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

You could use 2 subs, one for left and one for right, but the better way is using dual subs (taking combined left and right channels)  and place them to minimise the bass dips in the room. This is especially useful for non dedicated rooms.  With integrated & optimised subs,  you will be able to hear the missing bass in the music.

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

You could use 2 subs, one for left and one for right, but the better way is using dual subs (taking combined left and right channels)  and place them to minimise the bass dips in the room. This is especially useful for non dedicated rooms.  With integrated & optimised subs,  you will be able to hear the missing bass in the music.

Are you stating this in general or because you think I don't know? :)

2 hours ago, PauliD said:

Good catch on the no high level inputs. 

The SB1000 DOES have them but 2000 and up don't (using digitalcinema). I was looking on lifestylestore which only has a pic on the back panel of the 1000. None for the 2000 which sucks. I assumed (silly me) that they would be the same just with greater power.

sbs-1000_sta-300db.jpg

I had a quick look at your CXA80. It appears to have a line level sub out. I would think about using this option and high passing the signal to your main speakers (I am assuming the CXA80 will let you do this?)

Taking the bass load off your bookshelf speakers will likely have a positive effect on their sound.

• Like 1

Yes it works as a 2.1 and you can even use the RCA L&R pre outs for sub duties.

I'm currently using the Sunfire sub with the pre-out with no issues. Just thought if I had 2 I could see what it would be like using high level as an cheap experiment. Low level is always there is it doesn't sound right.

26 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Yes it works as a 2.1 and you can even use the RCA L&R pre outs for sub duties.

I'm currently using the Sunfire sub with the pre-out with no issues. Just thought if I had 2 I could see what it would be like using high level as an cheap experiment. Low level is always there is it doesn't sound right.

I don't think using the high level inputs will make any difference to the bolded issue. It is more likely to be a crossover issue between the subs and your bookshelfs or even just the response of the sub that you are getting in your room being peaky (typical).

My designer mind does like symmetry but my ears will want to smooth out the bass response 2 subs (where the room wants them to be) can bring. Anyhting more will need to be done via DSP like Snoopy8 suggested.

I think where I was going with the high level connection was more about imitating floor standers in a way. Like a two piece version ;)

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:05 PM, PauliD said:

sbs-1000_sta-300db.jpg

Just putting this out there, as I'm thinking of getting a SB1000.  My preamp has sub preouts (L & R).  As I'm planning to run 1 sub, can I use 2 rca cables from the L & R preouts from the preamp into the (L & R) inputs of the SB1000?  Will it cause issues? or should it be fine?

2 minutes ago, PauliD said:

@shogo33 yeah that should work fine. The LFE label is for Amps with single/mono outs.

My CXA80 manual shows a configuration that uses the L&R pre-outs as an option for connecting a sub or use the single dedicated sub out.

Thanks Paul.  My Schiit Freya has 2 pairs of outputs, 1 XLR pair and 1 RCA pair.  Both outputs are active at the same time, so I was going to use the RCA outputs (L & R) to the subs (L & R) inputs.

The owners manual that is available online for the CXA80 is laughable. It doesn't appear to give any information about the pre-out or the sub-out other than they are there.

Is the sub out low passed at a fixed frequency? Can you adjust it? or is it full range and simply the L&R summed together?

Agreed and that’s the one in the box.

I assume the sub out frees up the pre-out for other uses. But yeah it would be good no know what is the frequency cut off, there is no way to change it. I assume you use the one on your sub to get the mix with the L&R right.

Some more granular info in a user manual would be greatly appreciated, even if the want to cheap out an it’s only online.