Sign in to follow this  
drummerboy01

New XBox one x

Just picked up this new xbox one x. Never owned an xbox but am interested to see what the performance will be like compared to my ps4 and Pc with 4k via my projector.Also will test out the bluray player to see how good it is.Above all, so far seems like a good deal for what you get. Being into home theater helps some as because it has 4k playback i thought what the hell so i dived in.Also EB Games threw in a free "Assassins Creed origins" game for me after some haggling.

IMGP2097 (Large).JPG

I was going to get one but apparently no stock till after xmas for those that didnt pre order months ago.

Wow. I am here in the Gladstone Queensland and they have 5 to sell that's not been Pre ordered. I must have been lucky.

There were heaps down here in Vic. I went to a JB Home I know to be pretty sleepy just to be sure, though. 

Upon firing it up I was informed it needed an update, which is normal, but the Microsoft servers must be slammed right now because it's only just getting to the last few mb of 700 after two hours on a cable connection. :/

I will fire mine up late tonight or real early in the morning. Thanks for the heads up Twofires.:)

So, in answer to the question "will the Xbox One X pass 96/24 PCM audio from a High Fidelity Pure Audio Bluray copy of Amy Winehouse's Back To Black through to an external DAC via optical?", the Xbox says...

"Nooo, no, no".

48kHz only. Hmmm. Oppo alternative it ain't. 

Edited by twofires

I have tomorrow off work so. Will play around in my settings after the update.I will also be interested to see how it goes playing concert dvd's.

Other things I have learned this evening; the Xbox One X also refuses to play 4k bluray at 4k on non-HDR10 TVs (like my Samsung UA55HU8500W). In other words, it doesn't convert to SDR. Score two for Oppo.

It gets worse. The problem with the Pure Audio BD wasn't that the Xbox can't play 96kHz - it's that it can't output ANY PCM other than 48kHz. I know this because I threw a regular CD in and the PCM stream it sent to my DAC was still 48kHz (same CD in my old BD player comes up 44.1 as it should). What the Xbox is doing is like Directsound on a PC - converting everything into whatever the system output is configured to. And unlike a PC, you can't reconfigure it, or choose ASIO or WASAPI. 48kHz is all there is. 

So far, it's not doing much that I wanted it to do. :(

Edited by twofires

will grab one at some stage... but no particular rush and happy to miss the hype and higher prices on release for something like this ....

On 11/7/2017 at 3:33 PM, Tubularbells said:

I was going to get one but apparently no stock till after xmas for those that didnt pre order months ago.

Nah, lots around. The Scorpio is the rare one

16 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Nah, lots around. The Scorpio is the rare one

yes JB definitely has it...

Well i hooked it up and am impressed with 4k for gaming as i experience no lag at all in gameplay when connected to my projector.The only prob i had was when i first connected it i had a green screen so i switched to edid A on projector and used hdmi input 1 and it fixed the green screen back to normal. One other prob was not being able to save the 4k setting on the xbox 1x as my hdmi lead is too long so i went straight from projector to xbox with a short lead as the signal was weak with my 10m cable. Will be buying a better quality cable through this sight this week.I also had to download the dolby atmos app to get atmos. Here is a screen shot of the game Assassins creed origins title screen just for fun.4k is fantastic and would not go back now.Have not compared anything yet until setup is complete with new cable.

IMGP2110 (Large).JPG

Cool.

Some of the update patches are crazy massive like Quantum Break being 94GB! God damn that would take the fun out of getting home ready to play. But the patches are free an supposed to have 75 games ready for the X patch with is good.

Enjoy!

Yea we might need more than 1tb of hard drive space as the game files are huge.:)I dug out my $70 officeworks cable at 10m so no need to upgrade HDMI lead.Really happy about that. Thanks again Al for putting me onto that cable, don't know where I would be without your help mate.:) Going to run it in ceiling tomorrow and finally finalise my Xbox setup with projector. I thought I would of had to go the 275 dollar cable but the officeworks cable pulled through nicely.

As far as the bluray player goes compared to the ub900, the Panasonic blows it away. For gaming I get a completely different colour presentation.For gaming on the Xbox the Color looks more vibrant than it does when playing movies.I noticed that the picture when playing 4K content on the Xbox looks washed out compared to the Panasonic dedicated player.Just an observation so far.The audio on the Xbox for gaming and movies though is great from what I have heard so far.I downloaded the Dolby atmos app which is essential otherwise you cannot select Dolby atmos in your audio settings.Will play around with it some more today.

Yeah im not liking what im hearing so far. I wanted one so it could be a one box solution in my HT replacing my mac mini (used for internet and PLEX) and PS3 (used for games, blu ray & dvd) but now im hearing the audio is limited to 48khz and now pic quality is not what it should.....hmmm 

18 minutes ago, powerav said:

It’s frustrating because the potential is there to be a great 1 box solution.

Totally. I wonder what the underlying reason is, patents or license? Otherwise all the pieces are there or a software patch away. It’s gotta be about money. 

Went into the console to type in a code to redeem some so called free games(be careful of marketing hype) and keyboard never came on the screen.After some googling i found out that you have to turn the console off and unplug the power cable and plug it back in and turn it back on again. I did this and then the keyboard popped up. I then realized that the console must have been going through an update at the time.That's something you don't see every day.:ohmy:I am also finding the menu screen to be very laggy when using the controller.Maybe something to do with the projector. Games are not laggy though only the menu.

well couldnt resist ! grabbed one :)

38421478826_b4f0ed3858_b.jpg

first I was talking to the guy at JB there about games, then on off chance thought id ask if they actually had any consoles... told me no actually they sold out on launch day ! wha.... instantly thought of @Tubularbells as thats what he said.... 2 weeks wait apparently 

so I slunk off wandered off to another aisle looking at blu-rays and the guy came back...said you know what we actually had 4 delivered today...so we do have one ! so grabbed it ! jb was doing a console deal for an extra controller for 1/2 price and also a noticed deal allowing forza for half price as well. am not sure if they were meant to be applied together but the guy said he'd do for me. 

now to get all setup and hooked up etc etc...

to be honest consoles have had a bad run with me for a while. sold the 360 the ps3, and then ps4 as well.... so lets see how this goes... I'm particularly looking forward to the streaming capability of the oneX so even if bombs out for games i'll be happy to just use as a streamer with its 4k HDR and WCG capability and all the streaming apps. 

one very bizarre thing...the controllers come with batteries ? what ? am sure the xbox 360 controllers were rechargeable ? 

also i see an IR port on the front... I hope I can work the media side with the harmony universal ? 

The remote should work. It should have CEC compatibility. The XBOS I can control it with the arrow button on my LG remote, which is nice for movies. 

14 hours ago, :) al said:

well couldnt resist ! grabbed one :)

38421478826_b4f0ed3858_b.jpg

first I was talking to the guy at JB there about games, then on off chance thought id ask if they actually had any consoles... told me no actually they sold out on launch day ! wha.... instantly thought of @Tubularbells as thats what he said.... 2 weeks wait apparently 

so I slunk off wandered off to another aisle looking at blu-rays and the guy came back...said you know what we actually had 4 delivered today...so we do have one ! so grabbed it ! jb was doing a console deal for an extra controller for 1/2 price and also a noticed deal allowing forza for half price as well. am not sure if they were meant to be applied together but the guy said he'd do for me. 

now to get all setup and hooked up etc etc...

to be honest consoles have had a bad run with me for a while. sold the 360 the ps3, and then ps4 as well.... so lets see how this goes... I'm particularly looking forward to the streaming capability of the oneX so even if bombs out for games i'll be happy to just use as a streamer with its 4k HDR and WCG capability and all the streaming apps. 

one very bizarre thing...the controllers come with batteries ? what ? am sure the xbox 360 controllers were rechargeable ? 

also i see an IR port on the front... I hope I can work the media side with the harmony universal ? 

The 360 controller was not rechargeable, just get two sets of rechargeable AA batteries and they will last 5-7 days between charges.

I use an Xbox One and have simple requirements no 4K TV, rarely use DVDs, instead just stream movies from Netflix, Youtube, Movie channel, Foxtel and play Titanfall online and happy with that. One thing I noted when going from 360 to One was the controller on One was less build quality than 360 controllers. Haven’t used other systems like PlayStation so probably don’t know the difference. I will need to upgrade to OneX sometime later so watching with interest here.