Layout Suggestions/ Advice for beginner

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:27 PM, Rustee said:

Wow great lunch time reads! definitely need to look at my distance to back wall and even speaker to speaker spacing, which works out well as I need to reduce this in order to bring them out. Looking forward to some testing! Although moving speakers with spikes on timber floors ain't fun.

Placing the spiked speakers on IKEA butcher block ($20 each from memory) helps save the floor I find.

• Like 1

Thanks @Batty Sadly I had to move the speakers back closer to the front wall as the wife soon got sick of them sticking out past the TV,. So I  removed the spikes for now to make moving them back and forth easier. If we don't end up getting a large rug for the living area I will either go the chopping block or paver option with a piece of upside down carpet underneath it. Chopping block idea is pretty schmik, I have seen it on someones system pics on here somewhere.

14 hours ago, Rustee said:

Oh and after some listening last night, still something different on that left side (it's probably my hearing). Once again I guess it comes back to taking some measurements. 

the ears are incredibly sensitive, and if the difference is subtle it's unlikely any measurements will show the effect you're hearing:( - especially if it's your ears!

Measurements are great to look at large effects, like room decay, and you may see differences in frequency response between left and right speakers that are causing that "something different" between left and right - you just have to try.

Only measure 1 speaker at a time, and for 1 set of measurements don't move the mike at all (eg measure left speaker, then right speaker from the listening position without touching the mike).

When you start using a measurement rig, the learning curve can be steep, and others in the household will think you've lost it - post up results and we'll try to help.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Thanks @Batty Sadly I had to move the speakers back closer to the front wall as the wife soon got sick of them sticking out past the TV,. So I  removed the spikes for now to make moving them back and forth easier. If we don't end up getting a large rug for the living area I will either go the chopping block or paver option with a piece of upside down carpet underneath it. Chopping block idea is pretty schmik, I have seen it on someones system pics on here somewhere.

the challenges of WAF and achieving good sound.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, almikel said:

the ears are incredibly sensitive, and if the difference is subtle it's unlikely any measurements will show the effect you're hearing:( - especially if it's your ears!

Measurements are great to look at large effects, like room decay, and you may see differences in frequency response between left and right speakers that are causing that "something different" between left and right - you just have to try.

Only measure 1 speaker at a time, and for 1 set of measurements don't move the mike at all (eg measure left speaker, then right speaker from the listening position without touching the mike).

Thanks Mike. Will do. 

10 hours ago, almikel said:

When you start using a measurement rig, the learning curve can be steep, and others in the household will think you've lost it - post up results and we'll try to help.

I'm sure they think I have lost it already! ....they just don't understand! lol.

Cheers mate, I most definitely will. :thumb: