Newman

Is Search Function practically useless?

I just did a search for all posts by myself including the word impedance, and got zero results.

Since I know that I have typed that word into my posts more than a few times, this suggests the StereoNET Search Function is utterly useless.

I consider a properly implemented Search Function to be nothing less than a non-negotiable mandatory requirement for a discussion forum.

Post your obviously wrong Search results here, too.

@Newman

I can't speak for @Marc but my understanding is that the search facility is limited by the forum software.

This has been an ongoing discussion for some years and I would have thought that, by now, you would have learnt to do what most do here and that is simply use google. I typed in your name, the word impedance and stereo.net.au into google and voila!

You can use ‘google’ to search specific web-sites. 

For example type:

site:Stereonet.com.au “impedance”

it will list the pages within StereoNET that has the word impedance in it. You can then select the one you want to view. 

No I didn't know that it is an ongoing discussion. Is it really as useless as my first impression?

I thought in the past the search was more limited just in terms of how far back it could search in history. 

Duckduckgo can also be used in the same way as Google to search the website.

@Marc something  appears definitely broken with the search functionality.

i couldn’t find a thread of my very own even though new the thread title name.  No amount of searching, in end had to manually travel through pages after pages to eventually find.  

I suspect this is time related so perhaps search indexing doesn’t go past a certain period ? Is it 12months ?

it seems such a shame as there is a wealth of knowledge and information and much of it is timeless

i had a request to find what was Avery popular thread though obviously no one has posted in it for awhile, it’s a thread that is a reference of information but can’t find either, it’s frustrating as know it’s there.... again know the thread name and thread creator but it’s no use

Admin
[mention=103433]Marc[/mention] something  appears definitely broken with the search functionality.

i couldn’t find a thread of my very own even though new the thread title name.  No amount of searching, in end had to manually travel through pages after pages to eventually find.  

I suspect this is time related so perhaps search indexing doesn’t go past a certain period ? Is it 12months ?

it seems such a shame as there is a wealth of knowledge and information and much of it is timeless

i had a request to find what was Avery popular thread though obviously no one has posted in it for awhile, it’s a thread that is a reference of information but can’t find either, it’s frustrating as know it’s there.... again know the thread name and thread creator but it’s no use
Wolster's reply was accurate. It is a drawback of the software and yes, search is limited to 12 months. I believe the authors have acknowledged the limitations and are making progress on improving it.

As suggested, I use google's site search also.

Wolster's reply was accurate. It is a drawback of the software and yes, search is limited to 12 months. I believe the authors have acknowledged the limitations and are making progress on improving it.

I tried the Google get-by and gave up. Lousy situation. Must have been better software options -- for users. Oh well. Can't wait for the improvement.

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

Partly I think it’s also related to some forum corruption ?

eg looking for mark techers cavx basic audio calibration thread. This was extensive a great resource and used by many

Now all can find is below and only a few posts from July this year appear to be in it ? Not the sticky post and multi page thing it was ?

am I missing something ? 

Admin
I tried the Google get-by and gave up. Lousy situation. Must have been better software options -- for users. Oh well. Can't wait for the improvement.
If there was, we would be using it.
This is also a problem facing many forums around the world with nearly two decades worth of content (large database).

Admin

eg looking for mark techers cavx basic audio calibration thread. This was extensive a great resource and used by many

Now all can find is below and only a few posts from July this year appear to be in it ? Not the sticky post and multi page thing it was ?

am I missing something ? 

Was that imported from DTV?

2 minutes ago, Marc said:
4 minutes ago, :) al said:

am I missing something ? 

Read more  

Was that imported from DTV?

Yes it was, I remember it as a sticky but mark’s opening post itself I can’t seem to find ?

Admin

It was corrupted at DTV well before my time I'm afraid. I could only import what was left by the time we took over.

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

It was corrupted at DTV well before my time I'm afraid. I could only import what was left by the time we took over.

Real shame, I’ll talk to mark to repost as was something of real value, we’ll sticky it this time so can’t be lost in the ages